Guide wire and surgery - diagnosed 5 weeks ago

Hello, I have been looking at the forums and have decided to join as I think I am going to need the support of all of you lovely people.  I am 48 and was invited for a mammogram as part of a trial of screening women aged 47-49.  Thank goodness I was called and thank goodness I went - I was recalled, and biopsy showed that I have a Grade 2 invasive tumour, which has already spread to lymph nodes (well the one they tested anyway). The tumour is small, about 14mm, and cannot be felt, even by the doctor who gave me the biopsy results. I am having a guide wire inserted on Thursday and the tumour removed on Friday, along with a load of lymph nodes - it is this that I am more nervous about.  I am left handed, the wretched thing is in my left breast, and it will be my left under arm from where the lymph nodes will be taken. I’ve read my booklets but I am not really sure what I will and won’t be able to do.  Can anyone help?

a) can I shower after the guide wire insertion (and will it hurt!) and b) how restricted will I be? 

I see some people who have not yet had surgery have met their oncologist - I haven’t and I haven’t met the surgeon either. I have had a full body bone scan and a CT scan of pelvis, thorax and abdomen and these were clear - I was told they were routine and not done because of any fear that the cancer had spread - but I see others aren’t offered this before surgery.  I am far more upset and frightened than I have shown to my family, and would really appreciate your support here.  I had a total abdominal hysterectomy on 29 April, not cancer related, and had recovered so well - now I must deal with this, and I have had to stop HRT becasue the tumour is hormone sensitive so the hot flushes, mood swings etc are all back!!  Anyway I will try not to moan all the time, and really grateful for advice and support.

Best wishes, Jacquie

Hi Jacquie, welcome to the place none of us really want to be! I’m probably not the best one to answer all your questions as I had my guide wire in on the day of my op and also didn’t have a full node clearance , I guess this is what you mean as you have already had a node biopsy test positive? 

They will give you a local anaesthetic for the insertion of the wire and I didn’t feel a thing, the first time I saw a surgeon was on the day of my op and I also didn’t see an Oncologist until after I had my results.

Lean on your family and friends as much as you can, you don’t have to keep a brave face on and it’s time to be a bit selfish and let others look after you , it’s a huge thing to deal with emotionally , far worse in my case than physically! But deal with it you will and you will always find someone here to talk to and lend a shoulder when needed, I would also say ring the helpline as the ladies are amazing and will help you with all your worries no end! Xx Jo 

Hi Jacquie48, Sorry you have had to join this club but welcome to the site that kept me sane since my journey began in july. I too had the wire inserted on day of op and it was fine, no pain or discomfort at all. I met the lovely surgeon on the morning of my op and only met oncologist after getting my results a fortnight after op. I have just completed radiotherapy which was fine and due to meet oncologist again 30th November. I wish you all the best for your op and keep posting any worries you may have. Believe me I posted some bizarre questions and the lovely folk here always answered. xxxxx Mary

Hi Jacquie

just wanted to add some info re the surgery - although I had a different type of cancer (DCIS), I did have a mastectomy and a couple of lymph nodes removed (to check for spread) on right side and I am right handed. For a couple of weeks I did what I could with my left hand in terms of anything that needed any strength or effort (I was back knitting with both hands within a couple of days!). It was a bit awkward rather than a real problem and, with the stretches and exercises I got given, I gradually regained strength and range of movement on that side. I also had abdominal surgery earlier this year and found the mx much easier to recover from. Guide wire insertion procedure was similar to needle biopsy - local anaesthetic and a bit of squashing in the mammogram machine, nothing too bad.

Re showering etc, I’m sure you’ll get given after-care advice but sensitive (unperfumed) baby wipes are very useful at first :slight_smile: x

Hello from me too Jacquie. I had the same diagnosis as you, but was lucky there was no lymph node spread. I had just the sentinel node removed as well as the lumpectomy. I did all the exercises and very quickly had full movement back. Keep doing them for radiotherapy if this is part of your treatment. I had waterproof bandages, so was able to shower. Be kind to yourself and rest lots. If any reassurance I had a total hysterectomy 5 years ago, which was for cancer, and the physical recovery from that was much harder than from breast surgery. However, emotionally this has been the hardest recovery, made easier by the wonderful people here. Good luck xx

Thank you all for your replies. I’m feeling a bit better about it and appreciate your support. once I’m done is it better to start a new thread for post surgery? Or do I stick with this one? Jacquie x

Just wanted to say hi Jacquie…I’m due surgery in 2 weeks and am having a wire inserted in the morning.Having a lumpectomy plus lymph node removal…surgeon said she can’t guarantee not needing further surgery which is the first time I’ve heard that one but will try not stress out over it.they’ll then see if it how much more chemo I need then radiotherapy.I also have kidney cancer…only found because of ct scan…and they are removing kidney at the same time.not sure if recovery time for all this.I wish you all the very best x

I’m so sorry to hear that you have kidney cancer as well what a lot to deal with. I now have the guide wire in. Inserting was fine. It’s a tad uncomfortable if I move my arm in certain ways but it will be gone soon. Wish you all the best and will keep an eye out on the forums to see how you’re doing. Xx

Hi, 

I was diagnosed with breast ca in September.  It’s all been a bit of a whirlwind so far, as you all know.  

I found a lump after swimming in the sea over the last bank holiday, I now call my new wetsuit ‘my life saving suit’.  I’m only 45 so would not have been offered mammograms for a few years yet.  

So far I’ve not had a single week without an appointment with someone! I’ve had biopsies, CT scan, bone scan, etc.  

I underwent a lumpectomy (wire guided) on the 4th October with lymph node clearance as the cancer had spread to 8 nodes.  I came home with my delightful little bag to carry my drain around in ? and a lovely little heart :heart: pillow which fits neatly under my arm (this is now like a comfort blanket, and I cry when I lose it in bed) this helps with the pain.  I finally had the drain out after 16 days (was trying for a record not sure if I did it?).  I still have pain and swelling but the good news (if there can be any) is that the surgery went well and they removed the 3cm tumour from my breast with a clear margin and all the affected lymph nodes.  I have now been passed over to the oncologists and due to start chemo next week ?.  

Its all happening so quickly and I still feel that I’m watching from outside.  

I still have pain and swelling and my arm movement is reduced as very painful to stretch.  

I plan to go wig hunting tomorrow, and for all the jokes I make with my friends regarding this, and how much fun I can have with different looks ( I have ordered a rainbow wig for fun ?) this makes it seem so much more real ??

also the though of the PICC line is scary as that needs to go in my good arm, so will I have reduced movement in that one to?  

Thanks for listening will let you know how I get on.  

Oh and I have to have an Echo tomorrow to make sure I have a heart that works :heart:?

Xx

Out of intensive care and on the ward.moving around albeit slowly and weeing though not pooing.pain being managed with morphine.surgeons seem happy with how everything went.am eating drinking and walking slowly.x