Gutted I need radiotherapy - is this an overreaction?

I had a successful WLE 2 weeks ago for DCIS and had never been told it was high grade. I had cause to get a print out of my recent medical history from my GP for a separate issue and on it had “High grade DCIS”. I was told yesterday that I now need radiotherapy, which will start in a few weeks. I KNOW it could be so much worse so am I overreacting by feeling floored that I need this?
My family and friends keep going on about prevention and the like and I get that - but I’m also gutted, but don’t feel I can say that to them.

Hi Eli, I’m sorry things have changed for you but please please don’t get yourself in a panic over having Radiotheraphy , it’s painless and the majority have next to no side effects, I had 15 sessions and worked every day and had nothing worse than mild sunburn which soon settled down, I’m not trying to make light of your worries but I can assure you as frightening as it feels now you will wonder what all the fuss is about once you have it! They wouldn’t recommend it unless they felt it was beneficial to you Xx Jo 

Hi Elie I am the same as you. Had my WLE almost 3 weeks ago and have to have 2nd op to get a clear margin on 1 side then I face radium too. On the one hand I feel relieved that there is no invasion but at the same time feel very emotional and unsure about radium. Mine was high grade too and radium is to reduce the risk of recurrence. My confidence has also taken a knock! I think these must all be normal feelings in light of what is happening to us x

It is bound to be more traumatic after losing your mum. Medicine advances all the time though and we just have to trust the experts! Stay strong lovely xx

Radiptherapy has changed dramatically over the past few years and is now very targeted. I starting mine very soon too. My oncologist says the chance of recurrence is only 0,3 per year…sounds better ? I too lost my mum to cancer over 40 years ago now. Very different times. Hugs ?

No it was! I must ask him again…