1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gutted - cant have immediate recon

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Gutted - cant have immediate recon

Dont be upset because if we do not like to make headache for radiologist to read the results after investigations in future - then the best is to stay without recon for couple years just for safety. So at the moment better try to be happy because you are cancer free now! Only after while you will recognise better what realy is the best for you. And what else - there is quite nice changes over the last 3-4 years in reconstruction area. After 1 year - if you still will think about recon,then you will have more choices and you will have time to faind the best onkopastic surgeron as well. My surgeron told me there are many +++ why to choose for external protheses only - 1) nothing artifical in body, 2) non invasive, 3) easy to change and match with other breast when we put on weight. He said that in his opinion reconstruction does need for women who realy are thinking that will die without recon. Because any changes in body what we could avoid they never are not good for our Health.

Rae, no that's not daft at all. I though the same when I was diagnosed. Said I'd rather no op than a Mx. My hospital did try and save my breast as I had Therapeutic mammoplasty but my cancer was big and multi focal. I had chemo before I had mx so had a longer time to come to terms with it.
Tiny Tina- sorry about the secondary diagnosis. Are you having treatment at the moment? Hope you don't have to wait too much longer for your recon.
Lots of love xxxx

Again, thank you so much for the words of reassurance.

Lisa, not long now at all til the recon 🙂
Juls, sorry to hear about the secondaries. I am glad you say about adapting. I think I am getting there. I have accepted the situation more now. I think I was in denial before, and decided ifi couldn't have an immediate recon I was having no surgery at all!
Daft I know..
Lots of love to all,
Rae
X

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi there,

I had a mx and just as I was awaiting reconstruction for ages and then found out I had secondary's so still having to wait, or probably have to stay this way. You do adapt, although not nice and very frustrating sometimes. Xxxxx

Hi Ladies,
I had a mx in July '11 and was told I couldn't have a recon until a year after rads. At the time, I thought A year was way too long and was upset that I'd have tO be lopsided for so long. Well, I have my recOn planned for October and I can honestly say it's come round really quickly. In fact a few months ago I would have said I wasn't ready for the recon as I was still having Herceptin and feeling tired from the treatments. I have coped much better that I thought I would. Swnding you lots of love xxxx

Thanks for the replies, it's reassured me. There is life with one boob and people do cope, and I will to..

Kirstie...bless you re the chemo. It is doable though. I just finished mine.... So don't be afraid ask questions. I am more than happy to answer them.
Rae
X

Dont worry to much. I am almost 2 years with one breast. At first I was very worried and upset if could not make the reconstruction immediately. Just now I understood dont want any kind of reconstruction wich can offer surgerons now. I was checking up plenty of researches and saw meny reconstructions and I could be agree only with full fat steamcells lipofilling. Unfortunately NHS doctors IN UK dont do yet. Some doctors are doing in other countries. I am still thinking the time is helping to decide what we really need .

I cant have reconstruction for about a year either 😞 I have just had lumpectomy and now in two weeks I have to go in for a mastectomy and more lymph nodes out 😞 I also have to have chemo and radiotheraphy.

Hi Rae, not in same boat as you but I only have one breast now, hate being a loppy but I have to say after the first few weeks I have got used to it and in clothes you really cannot tell, but in your case it could mean any recon would simply not take or die as without a good blood flow recons simply don´t work very well.....
I was not given the option of recon simply told MX and nothing........so I too have to wait for over a year with only one breast.......its tought I am not golng to pretend but I did not bleive I would be as ok with it as I am now, I have been swimming too
Sorry you a re going thru this, its a horrible shock

Gutted - cant have immediate recon

Well,
I have been to see my PS and I definitely can't have an immediate recon due to a clot I have in my arm pit. I am absolutely mortified as, as daft as it may sound I am dreading being without a boob for 18 months.
My clot was caused by my portacath, bloody thing.
I am really struggling to get my head round having no boob. My initial meeting with breast surgeon did not seem to throw up any issue. It was only when I went to the plastics guy.
Has anyone else had surgery plans changed due to a clot?
I am so upset.
Rae
X