Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP - Weekly Taxol & Herceptin

6 REPLIES 6
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: HELP - Weekly Taxol & Herceptin

Hi there

I replied to your post on bcpals but thinkimg about it: how long was the time from when you had taxol and herceptin for primary bc till your sec ondary diagnosis? If it were a year or more then your onc's thinking may be that it did work for a while and therefore is worth trying again. This was my onc's thinking when I had taxol in 2008 having had taxotere in 2004 which kept me NED for two and a half years. In the event taxol didn't work but thinking was it was worth a try.

best wishes

Jane

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi pinklady - i was on weekly taxol ( with hercetain and bone stuff) my onc said weekly is much kinder than 3 weekly - and I was ok on it , like Cathy said I was tired - but carried on working. The steroids gave me a few poo problems! and at the end I had an irritated lining to my stomach which onc said were the steroids again - the first week I had thrush - all these things were easy to treat. I am due an echo test for my heart tomorrow - aparently if heart suffers on herceptain it gets better when off it so i exect thats why they want to give it again..... as for the chemo i really dont know how they choose which one they use but have heard on here about peoel having the same one again....hope it goes ok jayne

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi there

i did 18 weekly taxol from September to february last year, and the effects are definitely cumulative after 12 or 13 things started to get quite tough, but it delivered the goods and has now given me some chemo free time. The main thing was bone aches, tiredness, watch out for mouth ulcers as they can happen but be controlled and susceptibility to infection...you have to take the painkillers before you have the pain and learn to anticipate, this does help get through it,

I have just re read your point 2 and yes they are pretty much the same as what you say but I think on the weekly dose they are much more manageable, I still worked and travelled especially for the first 12. I think you will lose your hair after the first three or four, unless you can wear the cold cap?

I think you need to discuss point 1 with your onc. these are really good questions and only your onc can answer them. You can have the same or similar chemo twice, perhaps he thinks it did show benefits for you when you had it in 2006 ? You need to discuss.

I don't think you can radiate the lungs as it would damage them so much they couldn't work, but again its an interesting question....maybe you can only do that when the area involved is tiny. Do ask your onc and come back and share it with us.

Sorry that you have to go through this crap, progression is awful, I know. I am glad you at least have a date to start and arent in limbo that way.

Cathyx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi pinklady,
others have not been as tired or had the blisters. Kate was very active on it, Janera was like me really tired. I think these forums are invaluable for exchanging experiences.
Good luck with it and I hope you have good results, with not too many nasty side effects.
Love Debsxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Debs

Have read this thread - thank you so much for bumping it up. Your experiences with this help a great deal to prepare me for it - although I know everyone is different.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi,
I have left a message on bcpals for you. The thread 'Back on taxol I have bumped it up so hope this will help you.
Love Debsxxx
Sorry meant to say it is in living with secondaries.

Guest user
Not applicable

HELP - Weekly Taxol & Herceptin

Hi all,

Well - have nearly got my head around my latest scan results which show the lapatinib/capecitabine combo has now stopped working. My existing lung tumours have tripled in size and I now have multiple lesions in other places around both lungs. So I am off the LEAP trial and will start IV chemo again in 10 days. I have three questions:-

1) I have already had taxol and herceptin back in 2006 after my mastectomy. As I went on to develop secondaries they presumably didn't work?!! Also the Herceptin put me into heart failure - so should I have it again? Why would the Onc repeat the same chemo? I thought you couldn't have the same chemo twice? Any one any experience of this?

2) Last time I had Taxol it was every 3 wks and I suffered quite badly with side effects, muscle aches, joint pain etc plus I lost my hair. Does anyone have any experience they can share with me about the difference in having it weekly instead. Will I still lose my hair? Are the side effects manageable?

3) Having already had radiotherapy following mastectomy - does anyone know if radiotherapy to the lungs is an option. I'm not sure but I thought if you had had rads in the chest area they couldn't zap you again - is that right?

Hope you ladies can shed some light on this for me - would be really appreciated, thanks.