HERCEPTIN/CHEMO

Hi

I’m new to this site and would appreciate any feedback to help me through this.

I had surgery 4 weeks ago today on invasive 2.5cm tumour. Surgery was successful and lymph nodes were clear.

I have been advised to have chemo and herceptin (as it was hormone negative) and all the guidelines I have read seem to indicate that chemo should start within 31 days of surgery.

However as at today I still do not have a start date as waiting for a cardiogram or something…I chased this up today and was told the earliest this could be done is 25 June 2014. Therefore I guess my chemo won’t start for another week or so after that…which makes it approx 54 days after surgery.

Did anybody else have this delay in starting chemo or herceptin?

Thanks

Hi Mutti,

Welcome to the BCC discussion forums, I’m sure your fellow forum users will be along soon to give you some support.  In the meantime our helpline team are at hand to support you through this, calls are free 0808 800 6000 lines open until 5pm today (weekdays 9-5 and Sat 10-2).

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

Hi mutti

My surgery was 7 weeks ago and I need chemo and Herceptin, however I still have not seen oncologist, so no start date, expect it will be end of June early July now:( just want to get on and get it over with. Going away for 10 days on Friday to take my mind off it all.
Take care
Wendy xx

Hi, I had reconstruction surgery 31/03 when they found and removed a lump which turned out to be IBC grade 3 HER2+

I had ANC on 29/04 (all clear) and am starting 6 cycles of FEC-T  plus herceptin on 19/06.

I thought the optimal time limit for starting chemo was within 6 weeks of surgery, if that means the surgery where the bc was removed then I am way beyond that. 

My oncologist made no reference to the timescales and I have to believe this is whats best for me 

Fingers crossed for us all starting this journey

Apologies my recon surgery was 13/03  must be practising for chemo brain !!!