HRT and Tamoxifen

Hi

I was diagnosed with grade one ER and PR posiive breast cancer in 2011. Had wide excision and rads. Started tamoxifen but could not tolerate it after 3 months. I have not taken any drugs since. I have been getting very bad menopausal symptons as I was on hrt prior to my diagnosis. My oncologist has now agreed that if I restart the tamoxifen I can have hrt in a small dose to help me. I would like to know if anyone out there has done this as I believe I could have a strong chance of the cancer returning. I am 56

Hello Sammycat01

Welcome to the BCC forums. 

Whilst waiting for support and shared experiences from your fellow users maybe you would like to call our free helpline on 0808 800 6000 and talk to one of our staff who are there to offer support, lines are open again in the morning and normal opening times are weekdays 9-5 and Sat 10-2…

Best wishes

June, moderator

Hello Sammy,
I was interested to read that your oncologist has said you can take a small dose of HRT plus Tamoxifen.
I took HRT for 12 years because I had horrendous (and I mean horrendous!!!) peri menopausal and menopausal symptoms, HRT gave me quality of life and the ability to perform in a pressurised job.
On diagnosis of breast cancer, I stopped taking HRT immediately and have now been taking Tamoxifen for 4 weeks. Early days but the SE’s are making me feel back to square one with menopausal symptoms.
I will keep taking Tamoxifen despite the SE’s because I see it as my insurance policy to prevent my Oestrogen hungry cancer coming back. My ER was 100% positive.
I suppose it depends what percentage you were ER+. Maybe that is why your oncologist says you can take a small dose to help you.
I must admit, I did think that once you were diagnosed with breast cancer that was ER+, taking HRT was a definite No Go.
I will be very interested to read other responses to your post.
Peace and Positivity,
M
PS. I luuuuuuuurved my HRT, it was the elixir of life because my symptoms were so severe. However, post cancer diagnosis, knowing my ER+ status, I personally would not take HRT again even if it relieved my current side effects of Tamoxifen.