Had breast & lymph biopsy yesterday, results in a week. Advice please

Hello,

I’m new here. Yesterday I had an ultrasound, mammogram and biopsy after finding a lump & being referred to the breast clinic by my GP. I go back for my results next Tues 3.30pm.

The GP had said it was likely to be a cyst so it was a big shock when they said it wasn’t during the ultrasound scan and I was told my lymph nodes were enlarged so I needed a biopsy. They took 5 biopsies from my breast and 3 from my lymph nodes using a punch thing, with 3 anaestehtic injections.

Aftrerwards the consultant told me the radiographer was very concerned. He said it measures 17mm so it’s a no 1 on a scale of 1 to 4 which is good, and that I would have to have lumpectomy whatever the results. He also said we’d find out whether it was estrogen positive or negative, whether it had spread to lymph nodes etc… and that he was booking an MRI scan now rather than waiting for the results in a week’s time. I was also told to bring someone with me to get results

All of this has left me feeling that it’s a done deal & they think it is cancer. Is it normal for them to discuss treamtment etc when it’s now even been confirmed yet?

The other weird thing is that today I cant feel the lump any more! 

I am 42 and have a 7 and 2 year old, and I dont know how I’m going to get through the next week.

Can anyone offer me any advice on whether they have had similar experiences?

Many thanks, sorry for lengthy post!

Hi Minig and welcome to the BCC forums

In addition to the support you will soon have here our helpliners are on hand 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 Sat with practical and emotional support on 0808 800 6000 so please feel free to call to talk through your concerns

You may find the following link to our ‘Worried about breast cancer’ information page helpful to read:

breastcancercare.org.uk/worried?utm_source=promo_content&%3Butm_medium=help_you&%3Butm_campaign=worried

Tae care
Lucy BCC

Hi Minig. Just checking to see how you’re doing. I had a bad day yesterday as I got a call from the hospital so my heart nearly burst out of my chest! But it was about a separate appt!!!

Good luck for Tues. will be thinking of you as we’re getting our results around the same time! Love and wishes, Mel. xxx

Hi Minig. No mention of an MRI for me yet. I have read stuff about the blue dye. Apparently your pee can be blue for ages!! Like peeing toilet cleaner!!

I’ve been a bit better today… Eldest daughter popped round so, along with youngest, we’ve been playing Wii, cards etc! Other half shopping AND cooking a roast!! Can’t all be bad :slight_smile:

Well we’ll catch up on Tuesday no doubt. All the best (again). xx

Just to update… not really surprised - have today received my diagnosis of grade 2 invasive ductal carcinoma - waiting for hormone marker results to determine exact treatment plan. Really hoping I dont have to have chemo.