67.3K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Had masectomy- lymph nodes clear - chemo needed?

8 REPLIES 8
Mindy63

Re: Had masectomy- lymph nodes clear - chemo needed?

38 is young so if I were you I'd throw everything at it. I had no lymph node involvement but had chemo as tumour was Her +. Up until that point I was borderline for chemo but had decided to have it anyway. I still worry about the cancer returning but am glad that I've done everything I can to tip the scales in my favour.

At the time of my diagnosis, having a 20mm tumour was said to be on the borderline for chemo. I think anything bigger they tend to advise chemo esp if you are pre menopausal.

Chemo wasn't as bad as I had expected. Not enjoyable but over fairly quickly in the grand scheme of things.

I really wish you well and hope you get all the support you need to make the right decision for your own circumstances.

Tinkerbell72

Thanks
Cuba

Hi tinker bell...I'm sorry to hear that your lymph nodes were infected. Try and stay positive and strong through chemo..it's a tough journey but you will get through it xxxx
Tinkerbell72

Hi Cuba I too had masectomy and lymph nodes removed 3 of them infected so will need chemo starting 20th hopefully you won't need anything further fingers crossed x
Cuba

Thank you so much for your replies! Very helpful!
I'm 38 years old -no kids-and was convinced I would need chemo so if I don't need it would be a huge bonus. But you're right..I shouldn't over think it and just wait for the results.
Thank you for the encouraging words xxxx
Matty2

Hi - welcome

My lymph nodes were clear so no chemo (PHEW)

I think as Jets says it depends on your HER staus and also on the type of cancer you have.

Everyone is different, and there is not just one sort of Beast.

Well done for getting through the mastex - you can only move forward now.

Don't think what if - just wait fro your results and your treatment plan - things feel better once that is all in place

beryl

Lucy_BCC

Hi Cuba and welcome to the BCC forums

Along with the helpful advice and support you will continue to find here from your fellow users, our helpliners are on hand with practical and emotional support so please feel free to call and talk your queries through. Lines are open 9-5 during the week and 10-2 Saturdays on 0808 800 6000

Here's a link to the treatments area of the site where you will find lots of information and further support ideas which I hope you will find helpful:

https://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/treatment

Take care
Lucy BCC

JETS

Hi - my lymph nodes are clear but I am having chemo ... My advice is to prepare for that decision but not to overthink it - you may NOT need chemo - many factors are taken into account ; age type of cancer her2 status hormone status ... Get your path results before your oncology meeting so at least you can understand what the consultant is referencing xxx good luck and well done for getting through that surgery ! X
Cuba

Had masectomy- lymph nodes clear - chemo needed?

Hi. I had a masectomy a few days ago - IDC grade 2 - 30mm mass with calcification extending up to 65mm. I had 4 lymph nodes removed for the SLNB which were found to be clear. Will I need chemo? Before my surgery, my surgeon told me to be prepared for chemo but as my lymph nodes have been found to be cancer free , will I still need chemo? Anyone been in a similar situation? Thank you !