cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Had my Lumpectomy today

Highlighted
Community Champion

Re: Had my Lumpectomy today

What a lovely post,thank you ,it really does help both to talk to people who are going through same thing and people who have come out the other end of dark tunnel.You are right about looking back at how far you have come and what you have dealt with already,easy to get overwhelmed by what may come next. Enjoy your holiday # jealous!

Hi girls. I hope you don't mind me commenting on your thread. You all sound like you're giving each other good support as indeed I experienced when I went through all the same things 2 years ago. My surgery was July 5th 2013, in some ways feels like ages ago and in other ways feels really recent. Some things will always take your brain back there, maybe a song or a smell or a taste or a place. All this will make you stronger. It is very overwhelming at the start, so much info to take in as well as dealing with all the emotional side of things. But you will get through it all, it's hard but it's doable. The best thing I can say is take each day as it comes and do what you can that day and worry about tomorrow when it comes. Try not to look ahead but look back and see how far you have got through your journey already, it will make you feel more confident that you can cope. Rely on your family and friends, don't shut them out or shield them from knowing how you feel and what you're going though - after all, how would you feel if they did that to you? You need their support. I remember thinking how hard the surgery would be - it wasn't that hard at all. Chemo - well, yes, it's hard but you can build things into your regime to look forward to as well and before you know it you will be at number 6. Compared with chemo, radiotherapy is a doddle, tiring because it's daily but only for 15 sessions in my case, it is soon done. Then I had Herceptin for a year, 18 doses, which is not difficult but it does seem a bit endless. But it's done and I'm still here, actually on holiday in France as we speak, so it's mission accomplished. Sorry if I've gone on a bit but I just wanted to offer some encouragement. I had a really long chat with a lovely lady who had recently gone through it when I started my treatment and it was the single most useful thing I did, her help was invaluable and helped me to cope so much better. I heard about a quote by Eleanor Roosevelt, "Women are like teabags, you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water". So true. Take care and hugs to all going through this journey xx
Highlighted

Joyce - I'm joining you in the chemo club so we can keep in touch on the journey hopefully - I had lumpectomy 3 weeks ago so still quite sore and boob is hard where lump was but have been told that's normal and not another nasty in there! Think there's some monthly chemo threads but not one for July/August yet xxx

Highlighted

Hi Sheena

No choice with the chemo and no choice with the radiotherapy sessions to follow-so jst have to get on with it and hopefully by Christmas I will have some control back and be looking at a great holiday next year.

Joyce

Highlighted
Community Champion

Very difficult feeling you have to protect other people from the anxiety and worry you are going through yourself.
Highlighted

Hi Jill

no, I won't see her this year unless someone in family wins lottery!  We've got a standing joke about plane tickets etc

yeah, my son has said that he thinks I should tell her and talk to her as she had breast cancer 10 years ago and she would be able to understand better than the rest of immediate family but I think it would just bring back bad memories for her

I will consider it if I have to go through chemo

your dad is better off being kept in the dark im the meantime, I am sure

sheena x

Highlighted
Community Champion

None of us has any choice but to get on with it do we? Sheena, I haven't told my 85 yr old Dad either,my brother says I should as he will be upset that I haven't ,but he got into such a stressed state when he hadn't heard from my husband by 8 pm on the day of my op that I think it is the right decision for now.He thinks I had a op for women's problem, which technically is correct!He doesn't live locally so unless I have chemo I am hoping to spare him the anxiety.He lives alone and doesn't really interact with many people so who would he talk to about his worries.Are you likely to see your Mum this year If she lives in New Zealand?
Highlighted

Hi joyce

were you given the option to not have chemotherapy or was it a no brainer?

It's like we stagger from one conveyor belt on to another

have they given you a timetable for the treatment love?

sheena x

Highlighted

Ahh blondie, you are being brave,  bless him for saying it.  I haven't told my mum anything yet, she lives in new Zealand and I just can't face the thought of upsetting her

lots of love xxx

Highlighted

Thanks Jill - yes i am sure I will be positive once I have had a couple of days to get my head around it all. There is no point in being negative and there is no real choice so need to get on with it. I had really hoped to see a cold cap at the assessment but there wasn't enough time - mind you one less thing to worry about until next week.

Highlighted
Community Champion

Feel free to rant Joyce!I think it is like riding a roller coaster extreme highs and lows,one minute you feel in control and the next you are in bits again.So much for your body and mind to deal with and such a long haul.You sound like you have dealt with a lot so far,hope you feel more positive next week,hopefully you are soon to get off the roller coaster and get you life back.
Highlighted

I also wonder when the worrying will end. I got to the stage where the wound is good, the seroma drained 7 times and now not too bad really and starting to feel human again post mastectomy. However I saw the chemo nurse yesterday prior to starting my 6 cycles next week - omg completely overwhelmed by it all - couldn't really take it in regarding the drugs etc.No doubt will become clearer next week.Veins might not be good enough might need a pic line.Fedup of wearing compression sleeves for my lymphoedema. Sorry about the rant - had to get it off my chest!!

Highlighted

When will the worry end indeed Sheena. I just saw my parents, my dad called me brave as we said goodnight. I said I'm not brave, just doing what I have to.

Fingers crossed for you on Tuesday, let us know how you get on xxx
Highlighted

Hi blondie and suzie

glad all went well,  take it easy, no heroics lol

jill, I've still got some swelling in underarm and just started to get the"healing"pains

spoke to bc nurse and apparently all normal

I've got my appointment with oncologist on Tuesday to discuss chemo although the initial consultation only suggested rads, when will the worry end

sleep tight

sheena xxxx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Very surreal! You just never expect it to happen to you, it's always other people you hear about xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

Yes ,I must admit I keep thinking is this really happening?A surreal experience,very mentally challenging.
Highlighted
Community Champion

Oh yeah and they have to tell you about them all so it's no wonder we get paranoid! To be honest i found it all quite straight forward physically it's just the mental side I struggled with, I still have an odd "has this really happened?" moment now and again but then I remind myself how lucky I've been so I soon snap out of it, it's a huge thing to go through, I'm amazed I still have my sanity really! Xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

I think it's just the after effects of having an incision in a delicate area I had abdominal surgery and used to get a lot of swelling around the scar particularly if I had been standing a lot. I'm just being paranoid I think,I hadn't really looked closely until today.So many potential complications from the treatments themselves aren't there .
Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Jill, mine was quite swollen and got worse as the day went on but it settled down after a couple of weeks, although they say you don't get lymphodema from having just a couple nodes removed mines still a bit puffy but not painful at all so I think it's always going to be like that, oh the joys! Xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

Thanks Sandra,is it something that is ok to leave for a couple of days to see how it settles then?It's not really bothering me just causing me to feel a bit anxious.
Highlighted

I have had swelling post op and have had  it drained twice by Breast Care Nurse.  The swelling was called a Seroma and is a build up of fluid, it was nothing to worry about but a bit uncomfortable.  

Initially the Nurse said it may go down on its own but after few days it didnt so was drained.  It may fill up again a few times but I can keep having it drained, which was painless.  I have been told a seroma is very common after surgery.

Hope this helps. 

Sandra x

Highlighted
Community Champion

Easy to get paranoid at the moment,bound to have swelling above a scar under your arm.I will see how it is in the morning and if Im still worried I will call the breast care nurse.
Highlighted

Jill I've read elsewhere on this board that ladies have had swellings under their arms that haven't been Lymphodoema, but just something else that needed draining by their nurse - perhaps you should give her a call, put your mind at rest.
Highlighted
Community Champion

Appointment with surgeon next Tuesday to see what happens next .Have decided to keep myself occupied getting paranoid about the swelling under my arm being that lympho thing I can't spell. I think it has always been swollen since op but I have just taken dressing off and inspected it more carefully now I keep checking it .
Highlighted

Yep, having a few days to myself, next appointment is wound care nurse on 1st July to hopefully have dressings removed, then see surgeon for results on 13th. Seems a long way off, but still just glad to have yesterday over and concentrating in recovering. When's your next hurdle Jill?
Highlighted
Community Champion

Good feeling to get that part over with .Im beginning to think of next hurdle on the horizon after a few days of calm. Enjoy the break from the medical appts for a few days.
Highlighted

Hi Sheena, hi all, so I went to theatre yesterday at 1pm, was back on the ward soon after 5pm, and home before 7pm. Sore today but so pleased to have put yesterday behind me x
Highlighted

Hi Sheena, I'm ok thanks still tired and quite sore but resting x

Highlighted

Hi suzie! How are you doing?
sheena x
Highlighted

Hi ces!
How's things going with you today? X
sheena x
Highlighted

Hey blondie!

Hopefully your on your way and will be back in your own bed tonight. I went into surgery at 11am and was back on ward at 2.30pm then eventually walked out with support from my son at 7.30pm 

sheena xx

Highlighted
Community Champion

I forced myself to leave with the aid of a wheelchair at 7pm (went to surgery at 11.30), wanted my own bed and could see husband getting stressed .I had to stay longer in recovery cause they gave me extra morphine I think that is what really zonked me.I could have slept for hours.
Highlighted

I was last on the list so went down at 5, I don't actually remember being in recovery, but waking up on the ward and seeing my husband and dad there. I was so out of it I couldn't wake myself up, i tried to eat some toast and then was sick. I stayed overnight and definitely felt better for doing so. I think all those sleepless nights finaly caught up with me!!

Highlighted
Community Champion

I'm sure you will be ,even if it is late evening,they don't want to keep you in.I was told they don't like to let you go until 4 - 6 hours after op to make sure you have fully recovered from anaesthetic .
Highlighted

Thanks Suzie, and Jill. x

Surgeon just came to see me, he said I'm next on the list so it'll be about an hour. Least I should be off back home today, touch wood.
Highlighted
Community Champion

Very frustrating waiting,they normally tell you were you are on the list,you could ask ,
at least you will have some idea.
Highlighted

Best of luck, hope all goes well Suzie xx 

Highlighted

Hopefully soon Jill yes. One lady just came back and another went very soon after, perhaps I have to wait for her to come back, who knows. Thanks x
Highlighted
Community Champion

Hopefully you will go down soon and get it over with.You are not gone for long about an hour and then some time in recovery while you come round properly.Will be thinking of you.
Highlighted

I remembered my slippers because of you Jill, still can't say I've managed to save the look though.
Highlighted
Community Champion

Just add Clarks comfy black shoes and black socks for the complete look,that's what I did....
Highlighted

Well, wire in tit, gown and paper knickers on, waiting on ward for op now. Not my best look I must admit. 🙂
Highlighted
Community Champion

I was very scared taking off my dressings on Saturday couldnt look at first,but wasnt that bad actually.Im guessing it may be more painful if you have smaller boobs,best get nurse to check anyway better to bere-assured.My boobs hurts more now than it did at first maybe cos Im doing more?
Highlighted

Well I'd like to say I have a high pain threshold - but boob incision is really painful today. I'm being rather a baby as don't want to look under dressing so may pop into Dr's tomorrow so they can look. My lump was at '7pm' on very small boobs. Feel like rib cage has been stamped on. Hopefully feel less painful tomorrow. Underarm feels okay tho. Good luck Blondie for your op. X
Highlighted
Community Champion

Sexy nodes!Glad you got to go to your daughters show even if a bit sore.Yes ,more waiting but maybe a little bit of calm before the next storm.....
Highlighted

Well I had 2 hot nodes taken yesterday, now the waiting starts again, but this time I'll be chilling at home looking after me rather than having to concentrate on work.

You were right about all the different procedures Ces, I'm feeling like I've been pulled from pillar to post and left quite battered and bruised but most importantly ...... no lump!!

Hope you're feeling ok Ces, I'm sore but still went to my daughters College Fashion Show tonight. Take care Suzie x
Highlighted
Community Champion

I certainly do!not the best way to spend a day but so nice to get it over with.
Highlighted

Does seem procedure after procedure doesn't it Jill. I just want tomorrow over with now, and to be back home on the sofa with a cuppa, but you'll know that feeling. x

Highlighted
Community Champion

That defiantly helps,wonder how hot your nodes are?Cant believe how many procedures are involved in this process.How are you feeling?
Highlighted

Sexy nodes, lol Smiley Very Happy

I'm just back from having my radioactive jab, wire insertion and op tomorrow.Good news is that it's now all at the same hospital, originally I was having to  go to one for wire insertion and then be driven to another for the actual op.