cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Had my Lumpectomy today

Highlighted
Community Champion

Re: Had my Lumpectomy today

Yes it's hard to keep track of the days when your life just revolves around cancer treatment!
Highlighted

Thanks Caron, good luck for you too x
Highlighted

You're right Jill, try as they might - and people do try - they just can't understand the emotions we're going through. Every day is a roller coaster. I'm pleased you had each other in hospital.I didn't get to chat to any other patients when I was in last week, two were really quite poorly post op, two were just quiet and keeping themselves to themselves, and the one lady who would have chatted was off to theatre as I arrived, then when I got back from theatre she'd left. doing my time shifting again, keep losing track of the days recently. Best wishes both for tomorrow x
Highlighted
Community Champion

I told Claire about the Forum Blondie, it was nice to meet someone going through the same thing no-one else can understand in the same way can they.No phone call so I'm presuming they have our results and can go be put out of our misery (or put in more misery!)tomorrow.Will be nice to be able to make some firm plans as everything is so up in the air.
Highlighted

Wow, Claire and Jill in adjacent beds, how lovely! Did you realise at the time?

Still got my fingers crossed for both of you getting your results today x
Highlighted
Community Champion

No I keep checking my phone , surely they would have rung by now if they had to cancel appointment . Part of me wants it cancelled so I don't have to face it!Wish appt was in the morning, you have to wait even longer than me.
Highlighted

Hi Jill's! Have you heard anything yet? I haven't 😁 I've been very busy cooking and ironing and going to sort out my daughters bedroom shortly .......
Highlighted

Oh that's great for you two. Support for each other. Well I hope the news is good for both of of you. Caron
Highlighted
Community Champion

I got appointment through the post about 5 days after op.All they told me at time of op was that they removed 2 nodes.The appointment is only 12 days after op which is why Claire and I are fretting as they told us they would ring today if results not back in time for the appointment .We were in adjacent beds!
Highlighted

Good luck with the appointment Jill, do hope they have your results. I'm going to ring up to see if they have a date for my appointment as I haven't heard a thing since my op. No idea what when on in theatre either as I was discharged without anyone telling me. The doctor who discharged me just said I will get written appt for 2 weeks. Caron
Highlighted
Community Champion

Claire,talk to me here ,don't want to scare that poor newly diagnosed woman witless!!!!!!
Highlighted
Community Champion

Thanks gonna be stressing every time the phone rings!
Highlighted

Hope you get your appointment and results today Jill, sending you all the best x
Highlighted
Community Champion

Glad you are feeling better.I am hanging around waiting for phone to ring today.Have appointment with surgeon tomorrow for my results but as it is only 12 days after op have been told results may not be back in time and I will get a phone call today to let me know if they're not and will get another appointment.Feel really annoyed that they would even consider giving you an appointment they may have to cancel for something so anxiety provoking as this.
Highlighted

I had blue pee too. Showed my mum and daughter in the hospital loo, (I had a side room 😄). They told me I would look grey, but I didn't. Also said I might cry blue tears, tried to cry just to see them, but was too elated that the thing had been removed to cry! Anyway, woke up fine today - no pain, so I am putting yesterday's episode down to the drain I had in place. Now it's romoved I feel a bit more 'normal'. Although I have quite a big bruise around the site of removal.
Highlighted
Community Champion

The surgeon injects it during the op i was told, I couldn't have had much as I didn't turn blue as I was warned I might do, some come back looking like Smurfs! And I didn't have a blue boob either, I think we should ask for our money back Jill! 😜
Highlighted
Community Champion

Someone said it was to do with them being picked up well after radioactive injection,blue dye not needed.Could be wrong.I will eat some asparagus and join in.....
Highlighted

And why not Suzie? Bit of a cheek? Did you have a wire? How could they detect SN?
Highlighted

Oh Ces I've missed out on that exciting talking point as I didn't have to have the injection!! Very USP 🙂

Highlighted

Wish I was allowed to post a pictures If my blue boob! It looks like a toddler has gone mad with a felt tip and coloured in all around nipple and beyond with a fluorescent pen! Why am I blue and no one else is?? Is this something else for me to stress over....is blueness relevant in the world of BC! AND my wee was AND poo! Don't be jel Jill....It clashed terribly with the Toilet Duck!
Highlighted

Ha, quite sure x
Highlighted
Community Champion

Sure you haven't had a dodgy curry?
Highlighted

Lol, think how I feel you two, still got dressings on but so far no sign of a blue tit, just bruising. Harrumph!
Highlighted
Community Champion

Can we put in a complaint ?
Highlighted
Community Champion

I only had green wee for a couple of days but not poo, I'm now feeling cheated!!!!!!
Highlighted
Community Champion

Still feel cheated, no blue tit wee or green poo!I was promised colourful bodily functions !Nada!
Highlighted

Had my op last Wed (guide wire, WLE, SNB), drove yesterday, felt ok but am aware that perhaps I still probably shouldn't, insurance wise. Oh, and I don't think I was warned about the green poop, blue wee yes, but green poop! Strange new world this is, lol.
Highlighted
Community Champion

Suzie,worrying about daughter should keep you busy!Just had conversation with husband where he finally grasped the importance of results after surgery and possible implications.Well that's progress!
Highlighted
Community Champion

Yes Jo ,make sure you forget about us for the week in the best possible way !
Highlighted

You're so righte Kim, it's amazing how you can keep quiet about such a major things and carry on a conversation without even mentioning what's happening within!!

Highlighted

Thanks Jill, I should have the results back after my holiday, end of Julyish so before the radiotherapy!!

Yes daughter off at u7.30 this morning and I've already seen evidence of the weeks activities.... alcohol!!

Oh to be 18 again, it's going to be a tense week, good job I've got stuff planned to keep me occupied xx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Jill i still have many friends and family members who dont know ive had cancer,our sons are 24 and 26 but i still felt awful dropping this bomb on them, we are all close and mum is invincible in their eyes, they were so lovely and took it like the grown ups they are, my eldest said mum as long as you tell me your going to be ok then im ok so i did and mum never lies! Hes getting married in Sept and i cant wait 😍
I talk to people everyday who have no idea and they are waffling on about normal crap and i just smile to myself and think i could shut you up with one sentance! Its surprising how easy it is to keep quiet although i was expecting to bump in to someone i knew at hospital i never did, its almost like it never happened now and life feels normal again,off on hols on Friday and intend to have a week with no C talk what so ever! Xx jo
Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Caron!Glad you feel better after nurse visit.Good luck with your appointment tomorrow Suzie, when will you hear the outcome?Has your daughter flown off to sunnier climes now?
Highlighted

Welcome Cazmo, isn't it nice just to do something 'normal', hope you were able to forget things for a while at the party.

Despite lack of sleep I took a walk to meet my youngest daughter from work, I felt a bit guilty cus I usually drop her off but as I'm not driving yet she walked 40 minutes this morning so it was worth it to see her beautiful face :-). And an extra bonus I bought a nice tankini with post-surgery support in the sale at M&S for my holiday on 11th July.

Now to relax for the rest of the day before my genetic app tomorrow!!  Take care everyone xx

Highlighted

Hi Girls, you're all at a similar stage to me. I'm a newbie to this site, but I have been following a few threads over the past month. I was diagnosed on 29th May and just had MX and sentinel node removal 24th June. Relatively pain free up to today - when I could have cried as I woke in so much pain. DN removed my drain this afternoon and with pain killers It has eased somewhat. Like you all my friends are very supportive but do say inappropriate things at times. So it's great to hear all about you're experiences too. I don't have a date yet for my results. I am expecting it in the post sometime this week. But has been wonderful to get a few good nights sleep after having MX. Went to a great party yesterday, perhaps that's why I had the pain! Just resting today. Think it's wise just now. Don't want that pain back.
Highlighted
Community Champion

Girls so much of what you all say rings so true with me.Uneventful what a laugh! Life changing more like!C I haven't told my 17 yr old son I have been waiting till my post op appt so I know what will happen and when before I talk to him .Feel like a coward but he was in the middle of his exams when I found out ,then it was his birthday ,I just want to protect him but I am now paranoid he will find out before I can talk to him.I have appt on Tuesday hopefully so I will face it then.I am really feeling what you are feeling re friends Suzy,I've mentioned it on another thread.I feel totally disconnected from my friends they just can't understand this . They talk about stuff that unintentionally causes upset, they laugh and joke and talk about trivial problems or they are too intense and ask me if I'm scared or similar when I wasn't even thinking about cancer.I am also feeling very uncomfortable at the moment as I have only told a very limited number of people and I really don't want to share this with the world and his wife ,but my husband had told some colleagues as he had to take time off suddenly and I don't think he realised what he was doing,he has put it out there for gossip with people I don't even know ,hate that so much!!!!Love the story of the Gay Pride Cancer bus.!This experience can be very surreal at times.On the day of diagnosis I was returning home when the police shut the road,people appeared waving flags and then the Queen went past waving!!!!!
Highlighted

Damn you predictive text 'mammoth' and 'breadth'!!! ie mammo and Breast! haha
Highlighted

Suzie - I assume you are under Coventry and Wark hospital then? I went there for recall mammoth and was offered there or Solihull for surgery so opted for latter as I had found parking to be a nightmare at Coventry plus I live nearer to Solihull anyway!  The Breadth Care nurses work at both Coventry and Solihull.  Lovely. Yes it would be nice to meet up. I have another friend who I met recently dog walking who was diagnosed in same scanner, a month ahead of us but with grade 3/her2+, so she's just gone back in for node clearance and I know she'd probably like to join in too..no one knows what it's like until you have it yourself so it's nice to share. We are off to a Haven day in Birmingham on Wednesday. Have you heard about those?
Carol. Thanks for info re vits. There is an article in Sunday Times today which says research proves that Breast Cancer is the most sensitive to alcohol so I shall definitely address this and make changes but won't become teetotal as it would make me miserable! Also reassuring about your friends 'golf ball! I would like details from nutritionist. I shall add you as a friend on tab. x

Highlighted

Morning all, hi Ces, not Solihull but close by in Coventry!!, so near enough if you ever fancy a face to face meet. I don't know anyone else going through this experience so like in that program 'The Big C' that was on recently perhaps we could have a little get-together with some other ladiesladies and make our own local support group? I remember watching that program about 2 weeks before my mammogram app and thinking I wonder how I would handle being given that news!! And here I am!!

I too am having many visitors bringing flowers etc and on Friday night my two closes friends came with chocolates and I sat and watched them open said chocolates and laughter about something that happened on route and I suddenly felt very alone with all of this, people mean well but they don't understand. Sorry for that, not usually a moaner but I'm very tired today, late night and very early morning taking 2 very excited 18 year olds to the airport for their first holiday without parents. My friend and I will be having a sleepless week until their return.

It's funny how things stick in your mind. I'm sure that your uneventful diagnosis will stay with you and I think mine will be the anesthetist telling me that I might wake up during the op!! Needless to say my last words before going under were 'please don't let me wake up'.

Have a lovely Sunday everyone, Suzie xx
Highlighted

Glad to hear everyone recovering well - I'm a bit in front as 3 weeks post op and see the oncologist tomorrow. Jill - I thought I had a swelling under my arm nd my BCN said to come in but I waited until I had to go back to consultant and by then it was ok and didn't need draining so hope yours won't either. Yesterday I had an appointment with a nutritionist - my son persuaded me to go - and on the way got caught up in the gay pride march which was fun - especially the bus with the slogan "cancer is a drag" which was full of drag queens. My daughter took loads of photos and I almost missed the appointment! Anyway apparently I'm eating all the wrong foods but don't we all - you've got to enjoy something. She's going to give me a diet sheet and am going to try and cut out dairy, alcohol and not as many carbs - not sure what I'm going to eat but if anyone's interested I'll let you know what she recommends. One thing that was interesting was she recommended a high intake of vitamin D - I started taking 1000mg when I was diagnosed - horses and bolted comes to mind, but she said I should take 2000 - 4000mg up until chemo depending on how low my vitamin d count was (it was low about 6 months ago. Btw cesrabbit my friend had a golf size lump near the chest wall and it was all clear and she's fine 13 years on - did you have an MRI before the op cos if so I think they can tell from that anyway xxx

Highlighted

Hi girls. I'm okay since op on 22/6 like Suzie and await results 9/7..again like Suzie. You're not Solihull based are you by any chance Suzie? I'm okay. Still very bruised. Underside of boob is black! BCN told me to remove dressing so I did, 5 days post op. Can't believe how low down my incision is. My lump was at '7pm' ...I am panicking a little bit as it was near chest wall so hope it wasn't 'attached' to it. Post op report just said 'uneventful procedure' which made me smile as it was a HUGE event as far as I was concerned. Anyway I am back to eating cakes and biscuits, dairy and wine! My diagnosis detox lasted about 3 weeks! My 11 year old daughter has her new school inductions this week so lots on, friends visiting. It's also my eldest sons birthday today - he's 29 - but lives abroad. Feeling a little nostalgic for my first born...plus the fact that I've told my 3 kids zilch so far! Happy Sunday everyone. x

Hi again girls, thanks for all your posts. We all need all the support and emcouragement we can get. Just one thing I wanted to add is, did you all know that in many areas cancer patients can get free complimentary therapy? You might not like the idea or see the benefits of it but believe me it can help you relax and you meet other people going through the same tunnel as you so you can support one another. I'm in East Northants and here it comes under the heading of ICT, integrated cancer therapies. If you google it you will find it local to you, try it out. You can have reflexology, Indian head massage, acupuncture, back massage etc etc. and a nice cuppa with a chat. Happy hunting and hugs to all xxx
Highlighted
Community Champion

Seems to have gone dow a bit ,maybe I am just being hyper aware,seeing surgeon Tuesday hopefully so will ask advice then .
Highlighted

Hi Jill,

Yes okay to leave until you feel you want it drained.

I had it drained for a 2nd time on Wed and so far it is okay so probably wont need draining until next week if at all.

Hope you are feeling okay today

Sandra x
Highlighted
Community Champion

Sounds like you are making the most of your time free from blooming medical appointments Suzie, enjoy the peaceful time before the next hurdle. Daughters first holiday away without you, I have been dreading that milestone with my son,at least girls look after each other lads would be a bit less conscientious!I have eventually had the courage to look at my scar etc and it's not that bad at all, if I don't have further surgery I can imagine that it will not be noticeable at all eventually. Hard that you have genetic testing to deal with too.Enjoy the sun and the peace until the next thing we have to deal with .
Highlighted

Hi Jill I'm doing ok a bit sore but getting a bit more movement every day. My house is beginning to resemble a florist shop, not complaining ad I have some great friends who don't treat me like an invalid.

I too went out in the sun today, some last minute shopping with my daughter who is off on her first girls holiday to Ibiza tomorrow morning (no sleep for a week for me then!!). She's 18 and passed her test a few months ago is that's been really helpful this past week.

Got a few things on next week so should be able to pass the time whilst awaiting my follow up on 9th July. Going to genetic test on Monday and dressing change on Tuesday, can't wait to see what the surgeon's handywork is like!! Then Thursday I'm meeting up with family in the Cotswolds for lunch, Friday I'm hoping to go to our local outdoor gig and next Saturday is my 3year old granddaughters first dance show, so busy busy for me next week.

Hope everone is doing ok and does anyone have anything nice planned during this 'limbo period'?

Highlighted
Community Champion

How is everyone doing with their recovery?Im out and about with my dog again ,will be nice to be able to drive again, hope no further surgery needed and I have to start this healing process all over again.Hope everyone is well enough to enjoy the sunshine.
Highlighted

Joyce,  Carol

well we may well be joining the july chemo thread together,  holding hands and mopping tears

hopefully some laughs along the way x

Rollercoaster, thank you,  words inspire us from someone who's made it off the rocky road and planning ahead, well done xx

sheena xx

Highlighted

Lovely to hear from someone who has gone through all that treatment and come out the other side - I'm HER2+ too (was surprised cos it was a grade 1 stage 1) so will also have herceptin and ER+ so I think I'm in for every drug they can throw at me! xx

Highlighted

Will definitely keep in touch