Haematoma during rad's anyone?

Hi

New to this game like a lot of you. Diagnosed with bc xmas eve and now in first wk of rads after op. Besides feeling like a complete emotional runt (!) I just wondered if anyone has developed a spontaneous and rapid haematoma after a zapping (3rd one out of 18)?

ps Does anybody else feel mad when somebody says the word ‘fine’ to you i.e such comments as friends friend at work had b/c and she’s fine…I just see that as still alive! Since when did having cancer become fine!! Is there fine after this new cloud to live under!? J x

Hi Jayne

In response to your ps, as it made me laugh, I hate the fact that when I see “friends” and they say How Are You?, I say Fine Thanks and You? and they always seem to say Not Too Bad !!! Who is the one with cancer here?! I guess we appreciate just being here more than others!!

hi jayne

sorry about your hematoma, other than rads burns and aches and pains which i still get i suppose my rads was average.

I understand what your saying about being fine. like what lolly says when people ask how she is, i too say that i’m fine, basically because i feel that their only asking to be polite and plus sometimes i don’t want to talk about it or bother them with all my woes.

I had a neighbour who came to visit me when she found out i was dx with bc, she came in to my house and told me she was sorry to hear followed by oh well, don’t worry, your house will be here when your not! I think she was only trying to help.

I understood that Haematoma and Seroma are possible side effects of surgery - I had seroma resulting in an large abscess six months after surgery which prevented my having radiotherapy for two months while the abscess was drainded and healed.

Maybe your haematoma is associated with the surgery rather than the radiotherapy?

When people say how are you, I say “pretty bad, but as good as I could be” or similar, I never say I feel good or fine as the phantome hot ball under my armpit and occasional chest twinges may be my new normal but I don’t have to dismiss them to salve other people’s conscience.

My wife is currently having RT on her mouth and neck and due to incompetance among the cancer doctors, was in the A&E unit earlier this week. To justify the situation A&E did a blood test (4 stabs befoer canula finally inserted) and an ECG. the nurse was sticking the pads on my wife for the ECG, saw her heck and upper chest in beautiful two-tone read and white and said “Oh, nice tan line!”.
To end the following clumsy silence, I said “radiotherapy does leave quite a mark doesn’t it…?” One very embarrassed nurse.