cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hair growrh after using cold cap

20 REPLIES 20
whitepops

Re: Hair growrh after using cold cap

The patches that I lost grew as soft hair,a bit lighter and thiner then my other hair
Sunshiney

Hi all,

Back today. Really cheered me up to read your lovely posts and words, thanks! Done a lot of xmas preparations, baking and decorating today. Ginger bread scent and bisquits. Third day withour feeling sick at all, yeei! So, life is coming back. What is funny, that today I had to go to my son`s xmas party at school. So, washed my thinny little hair in the morning, put it on a pony tail (mini one), added a clip on pony tail and wide hair band...and no one looked at me twice! I mean, they did not notice! I was so happy and got all this energy to prepare for xmas.

April: thinking of cutting my hair very very short in Jan so I will be Annie Lennox 2 then :D. Actually really looking forward to a new hairstyle. I`ve had long hair so long I can remember. SO, I am feeling a lot better. I do get hot and cold flushes.

Sheryl: yes, rads will follow in Jan...we will see how that goes. I have not lost any fingernails or eye lashes...hope you get your nails back soon! A bit odd that they still come off, too powerfull medication :/. I hate chemo..but it keeps us alive hopefully. Have to start Tamoxifen in Jan as well, not looking forward to that but also needed.

I wish you both a very merry Christmas and lovely time with your loved ones! I had precious moments with my son today at school...xxx Sunshiney

feltz1

Fear not Sunshiney!

Your hair will grow back regardless of whether or not you used the cap.

We have a program called "Look good, feel better" here, all to do with makeup and scarves and such.

I was considering the cold cap treatment but I ran into a lady who had undertaken it and she still lost her hair.  Well, most of it, it was very patchy when I saw her....

I would suggest shaving the remaining hair you have left.  I know it sounds harsh, and you have tried to prevent that course by using the cold cap but believe me, your hair will grow back wild and free and even better!  When I lost all my hair and it did start to grow back around the 3rd week before my chemo stopped, I was so chuffed that I was sprouting hair!  But the nurses would say, "That is new hair, that will either fall out or you need to shave it".  I wanted to hang onto it, but I developed Male Pattern Baldness by hanging onto it so I bit the bullet and went to my beautiful hairdresser who shaved it.....well, within two weeks my hair was growing back thicker than ever!  Everybody now tells me two months on that I look just like Annie Lennox from Eurythmics!  I still feel like a freak though, I was always really proud of my hair.  Honey, I have cried me a river over my hair, now I am trying to live a life without it, I will never be the same on alot of issues due to chemo..... but I will not it stop me from living the beautiful life I had without it.

Heres cheers to you honey, if you ever need anything, just call xxxx April

Sodastream

Sunshiney your post made me laugh as it reminded me of how I felt. I was so down at one point and I had no taste so not even chocolate could cheer me up. So glad to hear that you're now able to eat chocolate as that will cheer you up. The good news is once your hair starts growing back it grows really quickly and once you get a good covering you'll feel better in yourself. I had to wear my wig for about 4 weeks to get me through that period. Have you got a wig or some scarves? Have you got to have radiotherapy next and if so that is an absolute breeze. I'm nearly 4 months post last chemo and it still keeps on giving as in last week I ended up losing my 3rd finger nail. They're all on my right hand so I wonder if its associated with washing up so maybe a good excuse for me not to wash up over Christmas!!!! Hoping you've made a full recovery before Christmas and have a great time. Take care and let us know how you get on. Sheryl x
Sunshiney

Hi,

I feel a bit better today, ate a lot of chocolate without getting sick :). My hair is a total mess but I start to see the light at the end of the tunnel. It is still me, alive. Thanks Sheery!

Cheery13

Sorry you've been feeling so down, Sunshiney. I hope by tge time you see this you'll be feeling a bit better from the side effects of chemo. Just think, this is the last time you'll have to put up with them! Things will improve as time moves on and your body begins to recover. Remember to be kind to yourself and try to plan some treats to look forward to as you start to feel stronger again. Take care - sending big hugs xx

Sunshiney

Hi,

Today I feel really down, I look like a naked chicken :/. I have lost some more hair and soon there is not much to lose anymore. Maybe i should be happy that I kept one third of it. I do look like a ghost of myself and really miss my old self. Also in other ways. Why did this have to happen to me. It helps to know that I am not alone in this but it is still quite terrible. It is day 5 after the last FEC but still feel quite ill, seems to be the same for me, the more the sicker but as said it is finished now. I had 3 Doxetaxol and 3 FEC. Looking forward to the new life with no chemo and hair that does not fall out. XXX

Sodastream

Poor you Sunshiney I found on the FEC the more I had the sicker I felt but good news that you've finished now. I don't know how quickly the shedding will stop as I went onto doxetaxol and found I lost more after I'd stopped but also had lots of new growth too. You're comment has made me realise that I lost a lot more on the side I sleep on too. Once your hair starts growing it will grow really quickly and mine has come back really thick too. Good luck with the rest of your treatment.
Sunshiney

Hello Sodastream,

Thank you for sharing your pics. You kept lot of hair! I had my last treatment on Tuesday and been really sick, yack. But now I will look forward and really looking forward to the shedding to stop. How quickly does it... I still have my fringe and sort of hair all over but it is really thin but pony tail fakes it quite well. I also have more on the other side, maybe because I sleep on my right side hmm.  Let`s see what colour appears, I am blonde... take care and best wishes- Sunshiney

Sodastream

Hi Sunshiney. The cold cap was a success for me during FEC. When I moved on to doxetaxol I lost some more but still managed to look ok. After chemo had finished I noticed my hair was looking straggly and I had more on one side of my head. I took the plunge and had it cut short and then dyed it 7 weeks after the last chemo. If you click on my profile picture you can see the pictures I have taken of my hair. My last chemo was at the end of August and I've found in the last month it is growing really quickly. The good news is it's really thick the bad news is some of it is grey hence the dye. Hope this helps.
Sunshiney

Hi,

Thank you so much for these words. 10 days to the last treatment. I tried Emed last time but it did not fully work. They will try another dose for the last treatment. Cold cap was really awful last time but it works. I have like a very thin twiggy hair now... I will go to the party and try to look happy and smile, good to get out of the house. My son asked me today that mum are you still sick...well. It really helps to know that I am not alone, there are many of you out there, sadly but comforting. Who ever invented this disease. Maybe the pill is the reason for the Estrogen positive tumor...who knows. All kinds of thoughts tonight. Hope you are doing well tonight 🙂 and I wish you a lovely weekend! Hugs!

Cheery13

Sending you big hugs, Sunshiney.

Sometimes we need to give way to our emotions, have a good cry/scream/rant, whatever lets us get it out and makes us feel better. Something which helped me through my treatment was saying to myself: this will pass. Whether chemo or side-effects, or the pain of the cool cap, I kept focusing on: this will be over by ... tonight/ an  hour/ tomorrow/ next week - whatever it was it helped me to look ahead and beyond the immediate issue.

Btw, can they not give you something to avoid the nausea? The first pills I got didn't work so they gave me Emend which was absolutely great and I had no nausea at all (had to watch out for constipation though - there's always payback with this bleeping disease!).

Maybe you can treat yourself to something fabulous to wear or put on some lovely make-up/perfume and wear a fantastic hat - whatever works for you - and get yourself off to that party, girl. Remember that you have inner strength which has kept you going thus far, and it will see you through this. 

Sending you positive thoughts. We are women, we are strong x

Sunshiney

Thank you Lol,

I know that I will now just focus on the last treatment- I can do this! Sun will shine again.

lollol01

Sunshiney I really feel for you as I really struggled with my 5th chemo and the dread of going through it again for one last time but I tried to focus on the end.My final chemo wasn't nearly as bad. I remember the dark days and trying to be positive for my husband and children when inside I could have screamed. I remember trying to look to the positives - what If I hadn't found it when I did, At least being stuck inside in the winter wasn't as bad as it would have been during the long summer days etc. I can honestly say things seem so much brighter when chemo stops even though I had a year of herceptin( which is sooo much easier than chemo). I tried to focus on the new year new me motto and kept saying ' this time next year I will have hair' By the spring you will feel so much better and I gained a bit of confidence thinking what I had been through and survived. You will get there and remember you have done the hardest bit and slowly things will get better as nothing can be as hard as chemo and losing your hair is one of the biggest hurdles we go through.

Take care and remember you get a stiff neck if you keep looking backSmiley Very Happy

Lol x

Sunshiney

Hi,

Thank you both for your kind words. Yesterday was a day when I cried the "whole day", all this is just awful. My friend has her birthday party on Saturday and I don`t want to go there and see all those beautiful young women around me with their full thick hairs. And it is not just about the hair, it is all of this. Life will never be the same. Two weeks to the last chemo and it really is hard, knowing that I have to go through that nausea again. Cold cap adds to that. But like said I have to do it. Also want to be here for my son and husband. My neighbour lost her father to cancer yesterday, he was only 60 years old. So I have to keep in mind that this is serious and it has to be treated. With or without hair. With my wig I look like an American show host, so I cannot use it without a hat, it is too shiney and wawy. I would like to go on holiday after this ordeal in Jan and "forget" about this before the rads start. I`ll try to find that book. Take care both, I suppose the sun will shine one day again for us. Thanks for sharing 🙂 attempt to smile.- Sunshiney-

Cheery13

Hi Sunshiney! Like Lollo said, it's hard waiting for that last chemo and wanting it all to be over! Not long now though. I found that I could feel a bit of fuzz on the bald parts of my head after Cycle 5 (Tax) and it grew fairly quickly once I'd completed Cycle 6. 

I'm doing well, had last rads in October and feel a bit tired still and emotionally unpredictable, but I definitely feel that I'm starting to move forward with my life beyond breast cancer. I've been reading a book called Thrive by Stephanie Butland, about moving on after having treatment for cancer, which I'm finding really useful. 

All the best to you for the rest of your treatment, Sunshiney. Keep that sun shining! xx

lollol01

Hi

I remember the feeling when waiting for that last dose and for it all to be over. I finished treatment the week before xmas and noticed I had almost stopped shedding hair by beginning of January but think that it slowed down by the 5th chemo. I had a holiday booked for the beginning of June and promised myself I would ditch the wig no matter what it looked like. Have to say even my hairdresser was surprised at how much hair I had and how long it was. I look dreadful without a fringe so that was my goal - to have a fringe by June and by the beginning of May I had a fairly full fringe but couldn't cope with the grey so waited till June (6 months) and coloured my hair with a herbal dye from a certain health food shop. Must say the results weren't great and it took a couple of attempts, eventually using a semi permanent colour in a darker shade before i was happy to ditch my wig. As soon as I was wig free my hair seemed to grow a lot quicker but it probably helped with a little bit of sunshine on it. Good luck and keep well for the final session

Lol x

Sunshiney

Hi Both,

Thank you so much for the comments, I am really looking forward to ending this...feels like a long two weeks to the last treatment. Sounds promising and not too bad, can`t wait to comb my hair and not get a handful out! How quickly starts it grow after the last treatment? I will be recovering still around xmas time. Thanks and I hope you are both doing well! 

Cheery13

Hi there! I also used the cold cap through my 6 cycles of chemo - 3xFEC and 3xTax. Although my hair thinned and I lost a lot on the crown and top of my head, I managed to conceal this with hats and always had the look of hair with the length at the back and fringe. My last chemo was 7th July and by Oct I had a good thick covering on the top. It's getting longer and thicker all the time, and has come in quite wavy. My hairdresser recommended a L'Oreal product which is supposed to boost hair growth and I've been using it. Hard to know whether it would have been like this anyway, but I'm certainly enjoying having a full head of hair again and it's looking like a proper style now after a couple of trims. Good luck with the rest of your treatment xx

lollol01

Hi Sunshiney

I used the cold cap for all my chemo (6 FEC)  and although I still lost about 70% of my hair it grew back really quickly. I couldn't go without my wig as it was so thin over the central part of my hair but 6 months later I had a full thick, grey and curly head of hair. I had it cut and coloured exactly 6 months after my last chemo (herbal dye) and nobody realised what I had been through unless I told them. I believe the cold cap protected my hair folicles and having the little bit of hair which was left enabled me to blend it all together quite well. My hair now is back to how it was before treatment started in September 2012 and seems to grow quicker but maybe I just notice it more. Good luck with your last treatment and hope you manage to hold on to your hair but don't panic if you don't as it will grow back

Lol

Sunshiney

Hair growrh after using cold cap

Hi everyone,

I`ve had 5 rounds of chemo now, one FEC to go and have about half of my hair left. Has anyone got experience how the hair grows back after using the cold cap as not all hair is gone. thx! Sunshiney