Hair not growing

Hi everyone

I’m new to the site but have been reading the forum site which I have found very informative. I have a question and wonder if anyone else has heard of it.

When I got diagnosed with secondary breast cancer last year in my lungs, liver, bones and then brain, I decided not to bother with the cold cap. I had used this back in 2008 when I was first diagnosed with primary breast cancer and it made me more sick than the chemo - I was violently sick and would start heaving in the car on the way to Christies. I said at the time if it ever came back I would just shave my hair off and be done with it. This is what has now happened. I have been treated with cancer mets since May 2011 and am now on Avastin to get me off the Dex. I had chemo and radiotherapy on my brain mets, and also gamma knife radiotherapy in London.

Now, as my hair is growing back, I find myself with a big bald “centre parting” down the middle of my head. It just doesn’t seem to be growing. Has anyone come across this before and know if it will eventually grow back? I jokingly call it my “upside down Mohican” but it gets me down. Any thoughts would be gratefully received!

Is the area where the hair is not growning connected to some treatment you had - rads or cyber knife?  Just a thought …

Vicki xxx

Hi, I’m no expert but reading you had radiotherapy for brain mets I’m not sure if the areas that were targetted  will have the same hair re-growth. I’ve just finished chemo and didn’t bother with the cold cap. I wore Buffs and tucked in the tail at the back. I had some scarves but I wasn’t creative or patient enough to persevere  with tying them. In your shoes I think I would opt to keep the hair that is growing back short. I’m so sorry to hear it’s getting you down. Reading through your treatment you have been through so much.  Be kind to yourself.

Take care Belinda, xx