Hair not grown back :-(

Hey everyone
Just wondering if anyone has the same problem as me and if they got it sorted, I was diagnosed with breast cancer July 2014 so almost 3 years! I had 3 x fec and 3 x docetaxol, am on tamoxifen and also have an underactive thyroid so am on thyroxine too. My hair just never grew back properley, it’s very thin on top and around the hairline and there are loads of tiny hairs which just never grew/won’t grow. The rest of it is fine and I did grow it into a bob but it just looked awful like a balding old man and I had to use so much spray and coloured powder and all that type of stuff to make it look normal I just couldn’t be bothered and cut it short again and to be honest it still looks bad without a bit of coloured spray. I’ve tried most hair growth shampoos and lotions and serums and biotin, regaine etc… I am seeing a dermatologist at the hospital next month finally but I am on the verge of booking in for a hair transplant. I really don’t know anyone else that has had this problem, I have loads of friends that have all been through this and every single one of them has had their hair grow back absolutely fine. Just wondering if there is anyone out there who has had the same as me and got the problem sorted. Thank you to anyone taking the time to read this xxxx big love xxxx

Dear Andrea 

no, I must admit I haven’t heard of anyone this has happened to after chemo. Or tamoxifen 

sadly you have probably just been really unlucky as they do list it as a slight possibility

but there may be other reasons so you are very sensible to seek further advice.

all the very best with it all

cath

x

Hi hun i am six years since my diagnosis and my hair still hasnt grown back, i also went to Sheffield to see a proffesor in hair loss, i had biopsys done and they came back with the result that the taxains in the chemo had killed my hair follicles and that it would never grow back as it was before, i am left with male pattern balding, i am not a canditate for hair transplant as i havent enought hair for this to be done. I now get a hair piece for the top of my head which to get good hair cost around 400.00 and then i tape in my own hair extensions, i find this best suits me as i have hot sweats and cant abide wigs, also my hubby dont like to see me bout hair lol i wear these to bed and can leave them in and on around four week, this is good when im on holiday as i just put all my hair up and go for a swim. Hope i have helped you if you need anymore info just let me know. P.S I had the same chemo as you and also Herceptin and radiotherapy, hope this has helped x  

Ahh thank you for replying, I have a feeling I will be told the same thing, just hoping I am a good candidate for a hair transplant then as I don’t think I can be doing with hair pieces forever! I’ve got an appointment with a dermatologist at the hospital tomorrow…wish me luck!xxxx