cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Happy distractions.

49 REPLIES 49
Highlighted

Re: Happy distractions.

Hi, I've not posted for a while but have been reading your posts. I can hardly believe that I am starting 15th week of my 'chemo holiday'. Had CT on Friday and remembered not to wear a bra so I didn't have to get changed into a skimpy gown with confusing tapes!!

I have stayed busy making healthy cup cakes to sell for a Charity - Fat Free, Gluten Free, No Added Sugar - they are knitted!!!

I offered them to my Onc. (7th July) & he laughed, but I must have distracted him as he forgot to give me a blood test form!! I rang his secretary a few days later & got it sent out. See him again next Monday for results.

I have joined a couple of Knit & Natter groups - one at the local Library and the other at a C&H shop. Some of us go to both when we can & they said if hands get too sore to knit again I can still go for a natter. Monica

Highlighted

Haha.. yes a book club's a good idea! I read this one over 3 days! Very inspirational xxxl
Highlighted

Hi,Laraine,one of my cats is neurotic so he would freak out if I bought another cat or kitten into house. My other is the complete opposite and tends to look after him when he's stressed.( he gets stressed if postman puts letter through door,window cleaner cleans window,sees neighbours cat across road,any noise that's loud)
Have great fun with your kittens,huge hugs,Helen xxxxxxx
Highlighted

Bev not Ben - blooming predictive text!!

Highlighted

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the book recommendation I'm going to check it out. I certainly seem to be getting through more books at the moment with all the appointments I have to hang around for! Perhaps we should start a 'good reads' thread? Xxx

Highlighted

Hi Helen, I have a cat of my own too but the kittens I foster are kept in a spare bedroom so there's no contact thank heaven.  If you have a spare room of any kind, perhaps you'd like to give it a try, it's worked wonders for me!! xx

Highlighted

Hi ladies.....thought I'd tell you about a fab book I'm reading...a really happy distraction. Its written by another breast cancer survivor,  Sarah Jane Phillips, its called Worms on Parachutes. An amazing account of her journey after having cancer first at the age of 16.

Its published in paper copy but  downloaded it free this week to kindle on Amazon.  A really  good read for family and friends to help them understand what we go through emotionally and physically xxxxx

Highlighted

Yes it all takes time doesnt it? We need a new bathroom too and were about to shop around when I had this dx😕
My first thoughts then were "why bother now"?
It just sounds like too much work and disruption now.
Love bev xxx
Highlighted

How satisfying. So good when you find what you're after. Also I love the sound of your garden Bev. We're working on ours but there's a way to go. Xx

Highlighted

Good day's shopping done....new dining table and chairs bought...old one sold! Next...new ceramic touch control hob and new extractor fan. Hmm will look around for these in a few days. Nothing like having a life limiting illness to make you want to spend money hehe!
Hope everyone has a lovely weekend!
Bev xxxx
Highlighted

Enjoy your shopping Bev. I love spending. Wish I could do it more often! Hope you find what you're looking for.

Yes Helen, it was a fantastic day. Wish I had seen Monty too but she had heard his voice while queuing for ice cream so left the queue to look for him.

Belinda, Cornwall is beautiful. My friend is so lucky to live there and so near the sea. When I was still working she used to text me and say ," lovely day. On the beach with grandchildren. "  grrrrr. Xx

Highlighted

Oh Shiela,that sounds wonderful. I love Monty,and especially his dog Nigel on gardeners world.you sound like you had a fab day xxxxxx
Bev,retail therapy is a fantastic distraction lol you enjoy.
Your garden sounds lovely xxxxxx
Highlighted

Sounds like you had a great day out Roxy! Beautiful weather too. I love gardening too and just sitting out in the evenings as it gets dark. My garden isnt huge but I have all japanese shrubs...green and red acers, different bamboos and 2 water features and ive put spotlights under a few of the acers which come on in the evenings on a timer. All thats needed then is a nice glass of red!
My happy distraction today is retail therapy! Am changing my dining room furniture so off out to look at new ones....!
Happy weekend everyone
Love bev xxxxx
Highlighted

Lovely day at the Tatton Park Flower show.😁 my daughter wanted to see Monty Don and not only did she see him, she asked him if he would have his photo taken with her and he said yes! He had just finished filming and one of the team took the photo. It made her day.

Ice cream sitting on the grass. Ideal weather. What more could you ask for? Xx

Highlighted

Oh,a Betty's hamper ,yes,that's a delicious distraction,yummy xxxx
Highlighted

I have just been to the site to have a look! 🙂 I hope it all came in a lovely big box for your son. 🙂
Highlighted

OK definitely adding food to my list - the steroids I'm on right now have me permanently hungry! My Yorkshire cousin's have just sent me a big Betty's hamper to tuck in to! I didn't know you could get them and I know some of you on here have said how much you like them so I thought it might be handy to know they deliver in case you need to indulge xx

Highlighted

Love the distractions everyone. My two boys always loved a good cardboard box probably still do at 10 and 15 years. My distractions are at the moment pottering in the garden,walking,yoga and looking forward to the next holiday.But I also work in a school which is the perfect distraction. I would love a dog but the OH doesn't think its fair to leave a dog while were at work all day,I can see his point.I love reading which is the perfect distraction for me, although I do enjoy a good film (watched About Time other night lovely film). Have more distractions now then I did before dx.xx
Highlighted

Thanks for the tip about the book Belinda - I'll check it out. He's only 2 right now so as long as a box is big enough for him to get inside and I can cut a hole for posting things in and out we're both pretty easily entertained! xxx

Highlighted

Ooh kittens and Dexter sound so sweet. I love Cornwall Sheila, such a beautiful place.
Cardboard creations. 🙂 My cereal box theatre with finger puppets was a great success EJ.
Wonder if you have seen the book, Boy Craft by Sarah Duchars and Sarah Marks? Lots of crafts for boys, little ones and older.
Highlighted

What a brilliant thread! I love the idea of fostering kittens - if only my OH wasn't so allergic. We'd always talked about getting another dog (the last was a grumpy old Scottie, an heirloom when my granny died, but still surprisingly good company). I think I might have to try and persuade him!

So far my best distractions are: pottering in the garden and the house, we moved just before I got my DX so lots to do! Trying to learn to sew, getting out walking, and building cardboard box creations with my little boy. Hope everyone's feeling well today.  xxx

Highlighted

Helen..I cant seem to see how to add photos to my profile? Ive put a frenchie as my avatar. Shall have to look again xxx
Highlighted

Sounds like you had a lovely week Sheila...and you were lucky that the weather was so good too! Nothing like a week away to recharge the batteries! xxxx
Highlighted

Hi all.

Hope you are all coping with weather. I have had a very happy distraction this week with my holiday in Cornwall. It was lovely seeing my friend after many years. It didn't feel like I hadn't seen her for so long because we keep in touch such a lot. Took her dog walking every day before we ventured farther. Missed my own two though and enjoyed walking them today even though the rain was bad this morning.😃

Climbed up St Michael's Mount last Tuesday which made me very chuffed considering what's wrong with me!

Back to normal now but going to tatton park flower show on Thursday with my daughter. Another happy distraction!

Take care everyone. Love Sheila. Xx

Highlighted

Hi,bev,oh soooo cute. I love the handsome little fur baby,cute.
Yes,pets keep you so sane. You can make your avatar a photo of him,same as I did with my crocs. But I took photo on iPad. You can add photos to your profile page too.
Huge hugs,Helen xxx
Highlighted

I work 2 or 3 days a week and once or twice a week I have my sons 2 yr old French bulldog Dexter to take out walking and just for his company..he's amazing. We often have him on weekends too. Hes coming with us to the Race for Life tomorrow as my daughter is running it. He's so quirky and a fantastic temperament and character like all frenchies! He's my handsome little fur baby and has been a wonderful distraction.  I love him to bits. Wish I could post you some photos of him. Xxxxx

Highlighted

Hi,laraine,omg! That's fantastic. I'd love to do that but bringing any other cats into my home would freak my two out.
We'll done to you,huge hugs,Helen xxxxx

Hi All, the thing that keeps me going is that I foster kittens for Cat's Protection.  It's the best thing I've ever done.  You just can't stay sad when a litter of kittens are tumbling all over the room.  They've been an absolute godsend for me, they keep me sane in a world gone mad.  Hugs to all xx

Highlighted

I agree Belinda! Britain is certainly having some bad luck this year! Xx

Highlighted

Oh dear now poor Chris Froome. 😞
Highlighted

Blimey Nicky! You did well seeing all that cycling. Wish we had seen more of it but we enjoyed the atmosphere at Harrogate and feel good for having been there. I think it must have inspired my hubby. He did 40 miles yesterday on his bike and he only has one lung so it is an achievement. He used to cycle a lot more but had a lung removed 3 years ago for cancer. 

Must add reading to the list, especially a good crime story.

Love to all, Sheila xx

Highlighted

Hi everyone,

My distraction - men in lycra!! I am a complete cycling nut! Just seen the 2 TdF stages in Yorkshire, my 15th & 16th stages over the last few years in London, Paris, Alps, Pyrenees, plus numerous other 1 day races in Europe. Me & the OH are both cyclists - I just have to be careful I don't fall off (bone mets).

Other distractions - reading, playing in my band, being with my lovely family and friends, holidays in France - and yes, I am off to Paris to see the end of the Tour de France!

Helen xx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Yes, thank you Belinda for introducing a new thread which is concentrating on life away from the dreaded C Smiley Happy

My distractions are being outside either walking locally or going for longer walks at weekends with OH, I try to get out most days but won't be for the next week or so due to blisters - more of that later!  Shopping is also another 'hobby' but I should say more looking than spending takes place even if it's just the odd plant at a garden centre or a new ingredient from a supermarket.  I've also discovered afternoon tea is a lovely distraction Smiley Happy  Last year when I was not feeling my best physically or mentally I started going with a few different friends to places around us and it has been very enjoyable for all of us.  Just the odd afternoon here and there and not a full tea, just a nice cuppa and a scone - cream and jam optional.  Unfortunately I am not skilled in the needle arts so knitting and sewing have passed me by but a good book will always keep me happy.  

The other thing OH and I like to do is to see sports events and have done several over the years.  Earlier this year we saw the last stage of the Paris-Nice bike race and this weekend, like Sheila, we were watching the Tour in Yorkshire - hence the blisters!  In fact I'm sure we would have bumped into each other had we managed to get on the train from Leeds to Harrogate Smiley Wink  As it was we watched the roll out in Leeds then watched the big screen in Sheffield for the end - a collective ouch when Cav came a cropper. Then up to Bradfield on the Sunday to watch one of the climbs - cote de Bradfield.  A two hour walk up and a slightly quicker walk down which was surprising given the blisters.  But worth it for the view of the countryside and of course the spectacle of the race.  Then, to complete the trio of stages in the Uk, up to London yesterday (having got back at midnight on Sunday) to see it all again in The Mall.  This time meeting family and, as it was so busy, viewing on the big screen in Green Park.  What a weekend and a big tick off my must-do/want-to-do list for this year. Family, sun, sport what a great combination Smiley Happy

Nicky x

Highlighted

Hi,Sheila,the swimming caps is a great idea.
Oh,Betty's tea rooms........yummy. Yorkshire is a great place. I love visiting there.
Can I add going to cafés too and shopping with friends,always guaranteed to chase away the gremlins.
Huge hugs everyone,Helen xx
Ps love this happy thread Belinda.xxxxxx
Highlighted

Hi Belinda,

I never saw Betty's tea rooms but sounds good! Yes the tour was good yesterday too. I think they said that it was the best start to the tour in history!

Forgot to mention I also like swimming. I thought I would not be able to go to the pool when I lost my hair through chemo but I have a really good friend who suggested we both get swimming caps and then people don't know I am bald. Haha. She wears one so I don't feel strange on my own even though we aren't the only ones at the gym who do wear them.

Desi, it is great walking on the moors. I live about 5 mins drive from the edge of the Pennines and you can walk as far as you like. I usually do about an hour that's all but most days I do this twice so I'm sure it helps to keep me fit!

Love Sheila. Xx

Highlighted

I like to be outdoors too. If the sun's out I like to just sit in the garden and read or do some gardening. I look after my son's french bulldog Dexter a couple of times a week and love walking him. He's my little fur baby...so quirky lol! We have him here overnight tonight while my son is at the Celtic Manor Celebrity Golf day. I try not to sit and mull over things too much being only newly dx with lung mets. I look around me at my home,family and children and can't believe there could come a time shortly when all this could be taken away from me....sorry ladies, I do try to be positive and am learning to appreciate every single day. I have thought about a memory box but even that seems too "final" to me xxx
Highlighted

Me too Desi-2 - cant get enough of being out and about walking/cycling while I can.

Highlighted

There is something about being outside isn't there? When I was on Capecitabine my feet used to feel on fire at times and I would stand bare foot on the flag stones at night watching the stars until my neck ached. 🙂
Now going out to sit in the evening sunshine. Hope everyone had a good weekend.
Saw parts of the tour today Sheila, what a success for Yorkshire. Hope it goes well in London and South tomorrow.
Highlighted

It must be amazing to be able to walk the moors every day! I walk my dog every afternoon after work, I just want to be out as much as possible over the last few months. Last winter seems such a dark time for me, trying to get my head around everything but now I feel like I am living again! Weekends I just want to go out all the time and if I'm in il be in the garden! You just want to drink everything in don't you! Xx
Highlighted

Hi Belinda,

Yes it was special. We came home and watched it on record with a nice glass of red wine!😁  I was very sad for Cav too. Peter said it will be hard on him mentally.Haworth is special to me too. It was the first place we stayed as a couple over 25 years ago now. I remember the parsonage well and its a  lovely village. I always say if it wasn't for the weather in this country there wouldn't be any reason to go abroad. I was proud of our country yesterday because it looked so beautiful.

I am watching the tour live at the moment but am going out shortly with my daughter so I daresay it will be wine and the tour again tonight! Take care. Love Sheila. Xx

Highlighted

Day dreaming of Betty's tea rooms now. 🙂
Highlighted

I had a tear in my eye for Cav yesterday Sheila. It would have been a fairy tale end to the day. Yorkshire looked beautiful. All the crowds, even in the smallest village. I love Harrogate, it's a long way away from me. Husband once drove us both to Haworth Parsonage for the day on our wedding anniversary, I'm a Bronte fan. Must have been a very special day for you both. I'd forgotten shopping, been known to try that activity! 🙂
Walking is super beneficial to us but walking the moors must be extra special.
Highlighted

My main pleasure is walking my dogs on the moors every day. I forget cancer when I am out. Like shopping too!

Yesterday me and hubby went to Harrogate to watch the tour de France. Went on the train and had to wait two hours to get on the train at Leeds because it was so busy! They were well organised though and it was well worth it. The atmosphere was fantastic! Hubby has been a cyclist for 50 years so its a big thing for him.   Sheila. Xx

Highlighted

Hi Helen, the scrapbook sounds a treasure. Hand made cards are so special too. I have a handful I have been lucky enough to receive and would never part with them.
X
Highlighted

Lovely idea Belinda, mine is card making and pottering in my garden. Just finished making my first scrap book of our family holiday to Florida that we had in January.
Huge hugs ,Helen xxxxx
Highlighted

Ah that sounds wonderful Tournesol. I nearly joined a choir last year, no auditions were needed but I wimped out on the day as voice was terrible. 🙂 I was in the middle of Doxorubicin and quite short of breath, could not hold a note.
Highlighted

Nice idea Belinda! Singing (in choirs) is my favourite thing.

Tournesol

Highlighted

Oh yes, me too.
Highlighted

I love my garden - takes me away from all the cancer rubbish!

Highlighted

Happy distractions.

Does anyone want to share what makes them happy, what helps distract them from all the cancery medical stuff? Knitting makes me happy. Nothing too complicated, chemo brain, but I make things, surprises for those I love. Have never started a memory book, I've always found it too difficult but I am writing out the family tree. Writing childhood memories down. And I do some really simple sewing, lavender filled hearts which I then embroider with messages for birthdays, anniversaries. Oh and I try and take my camera on my travels and take everyday pictures, photos.