Has anybody had this - help!!?

Hi All

I was dx in Dec 05 with small lump and negative nodes and had all the treatment . Am still on tamoxifen.

Have managed not to be as paranoid over the last year but am slipping back . . .!!

FOr the past month or so I have had an intermittent stabbing pain in my collar bone - opposite side to where I had cancer. Went to GP who examined me and said all feels normal maybe a nerve playing up. Now I keep getting an on and off pain in my shoulder - again not the side where I had cancer. It comes and goes and is not a bad pain it’s just that every time it twinges I feel sick thinking what it could be. I don’t get it at night and only on and off in day.

I have got myself hysterical yet again - has anybody had this ? Would anybody with bone mets mind telling me if this sound like anything they had?

Thank you all so much.

Love Alise

Hi Alise. I haven’t had experience of bone mets myself but as you are so anxious thought I would try and help. My husband has prostate cancer and as far as we know bone mets usually start as a dull ache rather than a stabbing pain. I wouldn’t be surprised if your pains are mainly down to anxiety. I’ve certainly had this experience and it’s a vicious circle as the more anxious you are the more your body can betray you by sending back pain signals. It might be worth asking yiour doctor for a mild tranquilliser so you can see the wood for the trees. In my case I had a medical problem that should have cleared up quickly, but I got so worked up about it the anxiety took over and prolonged the problem. I only took a small dose of valium for 2 days before the symptoms disappeared. At least then you know whether you have something that needs investigating or not.

Best wishes

Hi Alise

I dont have much advice, other than ive been getting on and off hip stabbing pains, and last week my surgeon said if it were mets the pain would be constant and not come and go.

xx

I have pains in my good breast and under arm if I carry too much or strain too much - I noticed this when I was trying to sand a wall.
The left side (scar) became tingly but the right side was painful. Note down when you get the pain and see if there are any patterns there.

Dont forget that the left affects right and so on - I feel the same as you in that I worry as I too am on Tamoxifen but try not to panic until you have something to panic about - I know easier said than done.

Keep a diary - apart from this occupying your thoughts its also something you can show the doctor.

I also get a pain in my shoulder just below where the drains were and this comes for a few days then goes for a while. I am back in December at the hospital so am keeping all the notes of what I experience.

Perhaps someone else could help with this but thought I would try to reassure you that we are here.
Dxxx

Hi Alise,

I am one of those with bone mets so for what it’s worth these are my thoughts!

I don’t think I agree with lolly’s surgeon. My mets pains come and go depending on which bit is playing up. I have extensive bone mets in skull, collarbone, ribs, pelvis/hips and all my spine :(. The pains come day and night. The pains do tend to be dull aches rather than stabbing though but that is how it is for me.

Do you still have checks at the hospital? If so perhaps next time you can mention this to them if it is still ongoing. Are you doing something different recently - like carrying a heavy bag on that side - or a shoulder bag? Things like that can create problems. I know it isn’t easy once we have a dx - so many little things can make us uneasy. I hope it sorts out soon for you.

Dawn
xx

Hi Dawn

Whenever ive posted in the past you always seem to answer with great advice.

Now youve worried me!

The pains in my hips come and go, i sometimes have them on and off for a couple of days and then nothing for 2-3 weeks.

Have you ever had a pain free couple of weeks with your bone mets?

Thanks for the advice xx

Oh lolly I am sorry if what i put has worried you :(. Trouble is so many things can cause pain, especially if you are on drugs like tamoxifen or arimidex. I have had bone mets now since 2002 and right from the outset they had spread extensively. The extraordinary thing is that I hadnt got a clue I had problems! I had NO pain. I really hope that fact doesn’t now have everyone with no pain thinking they have mets LOL. Lots of secondaries give little warning unfortunately. Once mine were diagnosed and under control I went for long periods without pain. The last 2 years for me have been hard because the pain has been very difficult to control. But as I said so many things can cause pain and they are totally unrelated to our breast cancer. We just have to try and hang on to our sanity at times and some will find that easier than others. It is good to have forums like this and bcpals to talk to others in similar situation but if pain & other symptoms become a problem then do talk to your oncology team as well.

Dawn
xx

Thanks Dawn, ive been referred to rhuematology anyway, so see what they say/do. Seeing my onc in dec so can mention it then. But yes I am on tamoxifen and had my ovaries out in july which i know cause joint pain.

Hope you continue as pain free as poss.
xx

Can’t help you with the bone mets but I certainly feel the same paranoia/hysteria about the slightest ache or pain. My GP has referred me for congnetive behaviour therapy to try to reduce my anxiety levels. Have had about 5 sessions so far & things seem to be improving - although when I read some of this stuff its hard not to start panicking again!