Thanks Helen. The week I posted on this thread became pretty chaotic. I went to the GP, but she didn't rally come up with much. In desperation I phoned a number on the back of an online brochure from my hospital, and weirdly it turned out to be the lead Macmillan nurse there (the bochure had nothing specifically to do with breast care). She was fabulous and organised a second opinion for me a few day later. During that consult, I was fully assessed and I did go with my original surgeon, but my reconstruction was changed to LD flap only with no implant. Not quite one week after surgery and a bit of a rough ride post-operatively (bleeding and anaemia), I am back home and pretty sore but riding it through. I'm really pleased with the reconstruction, especially as it seems to have quite a lot of feeling (was able to keep my skin), although I am still pretty swollen and have a haematoma that will take a month or two to resolve. xx
Helen, it sounds like you've had a very rough time. I want to stay at the same unit, but not sure if I have to go to the GP - can I not just ask my BCN if I can see another surgeon of my choice? Where abouts did you have your care? Perhaps you could PM me with the answer to that?
I hope the result you got in the end is okay for you. xxx
If you want a second opinion you need to go and ask your GP for a referal to a surgeon of your own choice. From reading your post you need to do this rather quickly.
I changed surgeons after I had my mastectomy and lymph node clearance. I don't want to scare you but I did this because the resultant appearance was more like butchery than surgery and I was also left extremely severe nerve damage. I had to go to a different hospital for radiotherapy and whilst I was there I got talking to one of the breast care nurses who was singing the praises of one of the breast consultants. I went to see my GP and asked to be transferred to that surgeon and there were no problems in doing it. It was the best thing I could have done.
Don't be afraid to change surgeons if you have no confidence in your current one. It may delay things a bit but I don't know how crucial your op is as you did not say in your post.
I hope this helps you. Lots of love, Helen xx
I want to as I have very good reasons to have doubts about my surgeon. I believe it is my right to have a second opinion, but it is obviously a delicate thing to approach. I'd like to hear your stories about how you went about it, why, what the response was, and whether you were able to change surgeon. My surgery is scheduled for the end of next week and has already been changed once because I needed another biopsy on another lump. Thanks in advance!