68.5K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone else had 4 ops on the same breast?

6 REPLIES 6
jillybee

Re: Has anyone else had 4 ops on the same breast?

I had 4 ops,WLE,saline then silicone implant.Then Pagets.Dx DCIS other side 7 years later,but as silicone implant had twisted,they replaced it,that got infected.Had another 5...expanders going in,reduced and removed .. Finally had DIEP,altogether,had 10 on one side. 

Char2016

Hi,

I have had 4 ops since July - lumpectomy, mastectomy & LD, drain reinsertions due to an infected seroma & finally removal of an infected implant last week.

I feel like I haven't made any progress either! 😞

Flopsy

Dear PGTits,

We are in their hands and if they thought a lumpectomy would do it, then really it should have. It sounds as if they owe you an explanation at the very least. 

You are also being passed from your surgeon to someone you don't even remember. In circumstances that would upset anyone. It does sound like you could be better treated - physically and professionally.

It's very hard to be positive in this position and I would be angry, upset and disappointed. I'd be asking to see my surgeon for a full explanation of how this happened. 

We know that this isn't an exact science. Some tumours can be unclear on ultrasound and mammogram. Sometimes they just don't know until they operate, It sounds as if they can't get clear margins around one or both of your lumps.  Could this have been done better. It sounds like someone has been optimistic about your changes and they were wrong.

They should have told you about the nipple (as at the very least you can lose sensation around it). This sounds all wrong.

The least they could do is treat you with dignity now.

We can't go back in time now and save your breast. That is a big deal. I've been through the hell of chemo (it was for me anyway ) in order to have a lumpectomy (done yesterday) and now I have the 2 week wait to see if it has been successful.

If you feel the dignity is missing, then it is and that's not your fault. It's there's. At the very least they should be treating you with extra care and sensitivity.

Jokely

Hi PGtits (Good name!)

I've had three surgeries since July, 4 if you count the sentinal node biopsy too. I feel your pain, mentally and physically. I know about feeling fed up! (and scared).

I also had two tumours in the left breast, I wasn't really given the option of lumpectomies, if I had I would probably have gone for it so don't feel bad. Even the word mastectomy is terrifying! I'm regreting going with the reconstructive surgery I had, I cancelled a DIEP to go for implants (Plural, I decided to have a double mastectomy to avoid any more fear or surgery...ha right!). But hindsight is a wonderful thing. If we had a crystal ball we'd all make different deicssions. I keep telling myself I don't know how the other surgery would have turned out-My body could have rejected it and I could be in an even worse possition. And after soul searching and many sleepless nights I was confident and happy with my choice at the time. I'm trying to stay possitive - not easy since I've had TWO more complications this week! one Mon, one Fri... so theres a chance a 4th (5th) surgery could be on the cards. The trouble is I don't have a focus for positivity which my surgeon pointed out is very important, so I'm going to get some crystals, I don't really belive in them but I have nothing to lose and its a focus.

You're right, there's no dignity in breast cancer, we can find it though. I have met some amazing ladies through instagram and they really lift me. We all have down times, it's normal. I think I've been suffering from depression and I'm trying to pull myself back. So what ever you do, don't hide away (like me). Force yourself to meet people, distractions are good! And take one booby hurdle at a time.

We'll get through this! Big hugs. xx

PGtits

Thanks Jill for replying. I know we should be positive and I have tried to be but . . .

Every time after the first op they said we are just operating as a precaution, but now i now face a fourth op it has taken me to new challenges. I feel like i should have had a mastectomy at the start but when they asked me if i had considered that on my first real appointment  i just thought, it's been less than a minute since they told me i had breast cancer and they ask me this!!? It seemed too drastic at the time but now I wish I had just said yes because I am four months and three operations later. My first 2 operations i was still in high spiritis and glad to be alive. When they told me i had to have a third operation was the worst. I know there is no dignity in breast cancer treatment, but the guy I saw telling me i needed a 3rd op wasn't my surgeon, and he said he knew me from previous ops like I would rememer him. I do not remember him so presumably he is one of the many people who knows me from GA state. The 3rd op i was crying when i came round and had no idea why but maybe my body tuned into with my emotions cos i had not been told or warned they were going to take my nipple off and re attach it. That must of taken lots of time on the surgeons part, only to find that they need to remove all breast tiisue including the nipple.

How do people  cope? it's just **bleep**!

Jill1998
Community Champion

Hi PG ,welcome to the forum .You are certainly not the only one to go through surgery multiple times ,I speak to a number of ladies who have had 3 surgeries .If if gets rid of the bugger it has to be done ,not surprised you feel fed up though ,having 4 surgeries is hard.Jill.
PGtits

Has anyone else had 4 ops on the same breast?

Hi there

New to this site but hoping it will help me as I lose the will to face the fourth op. I was told June that I had two lumps in left breast. They hoped to sort it with lumpectomy, then said they needed to do a second op to remove more tiisue just as a precaution, then said they needed to do 3rd op to remove more and now they say they have found precancerous cells and need to do a mastectomy. Has anyone else been through something like this? I was perky the first few months but now worn out by it all!