72.7K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone else had neck pain on the same side as surgery?

7 REPLIES 7
whiskers2013

Re: Has anyone else had neck pain on the same side as surgery?

Ps I found sleeping with a flat pillow also eased my neck pains in the morning as I always liked 2 big fluffy pillows before.
whiskers2013

Hi Debra, I too have had problems with my neck, collarbone and throat. I was told by my onc it was mainly down to the effects or radiotherapy.  I have had what feels like a swollen throat, not sore but like you like I have a lump in my throat. My onc showed me a picture of my xray and it did show it can clip a bit of your windpipe which would cause inflammation. I finished 15 rads on 4th January but have been told discomfort in the areas can continue for a long while after 😞 I feel quite similar to what I did after surgery but was also told the radiotherapy can disrupt all your nerves etc.. that where damaged and moved through surgery.

Hope your symptom s ease up for you soon,

Emma

Debrahams

Hi Bas B,

thanks for the reply, I think I will visit an osteopath at some point, I think that could be helpful. Neck pain is a lot better but still get tightness in my throat etc. I suppose all we've been through with surgery, lymph nodes being removed and just the general stress must have an effect. I think I just have to give it a bit of time. Hope you are ok xx

Debrahams

Thank you Songbird,

I had wondered about visiting am Osteopath, neck pain is much improved but throat tightness persists, think maybe a lot of it is stress. Hope you are ok xx

Bas_B

Hi Debrahams,

I had a lump in the right side of ny neck and a lymph node up in my shoulder blade in 2011. The lump occurred after a back and neck massage.  I had it investigated and bloods tests but nothing.  I was aneamic.

In November 2013 I had routine mamogram and was diagnosed with breast cancer in right breast.  I still get the occasional pain in the right side of my neck and wonder if there is a connection.  My breast surgeon told me that because the lumps in my neck had come and gone there was no connection. 

I went to an oesteopath who gave me exercises for my neck and it does improve, but I still get a pain in the right side of my neck and shoulder blade sometimes, even goes up into my ear.  I'm on chemo at the moment so if anything else is lurking it's getting zapped but I will pursue what is causing this pain in the neck.

Hope your neck pain soon goes and you are starting to feel back to your old self.

best wishes

Jx  

songbird68

Hi Debra sorry you are experiencing neck pain. I had it too, but on the opposite side to the mastectomy. I went to an osteopath and he said I had tight muscles there, that were compensating for the weakened other side. I had two sessions with him and even after the first there was a big improvement. My neck pain has gone now.

I don't know what yours is, but I do hope you are feeling better. 🙂 x

Jo_BCC

Hi Debrahams,

I'm sorry you haven't had any replies to your question as yet, but hopefully this will now bring it to the attention of other forum users and someone might be able to help.  Our helpline team are just a free phone call away if you need to talk to someone in confidence.  0808 800 6000

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

Debrahams

Has anyone else had neck pain on the same side as surgery?

Hello, just wondered if anyone has had the same problem and has any advice or tips? 

I had a lumpectomy and 2 lymph nodes removed in September. One week after surgery developed pain and tightness on the right side of my neck (same side as my breast surgery.) It was quite severe like a whiplash injury. A lump in my neck came up which was found to be a reactive lymph node,suggesting that I have a virus. Neck pain stayed with me for about 6 weeks then got better but was replaced by tightness in my throat. A horrible strangling feeling and feels like something is stuck in my throat, the GP thinks it's to do with acid reflux. 

I thought this feeling in my throat would never go but quite suddenly got better and felt brilliant for one day. I was just thinking my health was back to normal and then the very next day the neck pain returned.

I am so ready to feel better after having breast cancer and finding this all very frustrating. 2 weeks ago I finished radiotherapy and started taking Tamoxifen immediately after.

Has anyone had anything similar happen? just wondering when I can expect to get better,? I just want life to get back to normal now, maybe I am expecting too much too soon? Hope I don't sound like I'm moaning, don't want to do that when I know there are people with worse health issues than me. Love and best wishes to you all xxx