Has anyone had SIRT treatment for liver mets?

Hi,
Has anyone had Selective Internal Radiation Therapy for liver mets? I have been told I am not suitable for RFA and also that SIRT isn’t given to breast cancer patients. Does anyone have any experience?
Nicola x

I’m in Scotland and SIRT is unavailable on the Nhs. If I wish to go ahead with it I would be referred to a consultant in England but at a cost of £25,000. I do not think that SIRT is readily available but I would like to be proven wrong. Why did they say that RFA wasn’t an option if you don’t mind me asking

Jane x

There’s an earlier thread about this,

forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Treatments-and-medical-issues/Radioactive-beads-for-liver-mets/m-p/803498/highlight/true#M10776

(if the link doesn’t work, the subject title is “Radioactive beads for liver mets”).

Hi,
Thank you Mrs Blue for the link. Do you mind me asking if you have liver mets and have you had this treatment? I am trying to find out more about it but I find all the different drugs and treatment confusing.
Thank you Jane for replying, do you know the name of the consultant in England? I was told my liver mets weren’t suitable for RFA because it might cause more harm than good. Like you though I would like to explore this more and maybe prove them wrong! My husband has just commented “girl power” !
Nicola x

Hi Nicola, glad you found the link.  Yes I have liver mets but I have not had SIRT and I don’t think I would qualify, too many mets and they are not clearly defined on scans (which is why I now have PET-CT scans rather than standard CT scans).  But I did know someone who had SIRT, some years ago. I don’t think it was on the NHS!

Hi. Haven’t been in here for ages and have just seen your message. Yes, I have had SIRT. It was developed for colorectal cancers which had spread to the liver but interventional radiologists are now using it for bc patients where it has spread to the liver, with more success… The bc tumours respond better to SIRT than others! It is not available on the nhs for bc patients at the mo. It’s about £30,000. I had a 9.8cm tumour and 4 others measuring about 3-4 cms. My consultant is  in The London Oncology Clinic in Harley St. After 5 weeks tumours shrunk by 50 %, had it done end of May and they are still shrinking. The massive dose of radioactive beads stays in you for a while and keeps working. My largest tumour is now just under 3cm!!! My insurance company paid for it…x

Hi everyone, I am coming to the end of my last chemo and I am looking into possibly having RFA or SIRT. Does anyone have any experience of these please? Also if you know of anyone who can do RFA in the Midlands? My Onc doesn’t know much about these treatments. Been to Christies etc about SIRT but not anyone re the RFA. Struggling to find out much info on the net about what to do in what order! The chemo has shrunk the tumours a bit so would like to try to keep this going! X

They do SIRT at The Christie in Manchester. It’s private and cost between £25 and £30K

Hi, This is the first time I’ve posted (so hope i’m doing it right!) I have secondaries to bones and liver. Diagnosed over 2 years ago. I’m waiting on a referral for SIRT in London and would welcome any tips/help/advice. Thanks.

Hi, this is the first time I’ve posted. Diagnosed with liver and bone mets over 2 years ago and waiting for a referral for SIRT in London. Welcome any advice/help/tips. Thanks!

Hi mrs G I had SIRT last week. I had to go for a trial work up 2 wks before. They go into your main artery in your groin and map where the blood flows to. They insert coils to stop the beads going to other organs. It was straight forward apart from having to lie still for hours! The actual beads procedure was quicker and nothing to it really. I had a reaction to the dye I think as I had severe indigestion pain but I am fine now. I feel tired and little out of sorts but I am having chemo as well. All the best to you xx

Wow !! That is amazing I’d be interested in this very much ! I have secondary in my liver and bone from primary BC …! I attend Christie hospital can you give me any advice re being referred for this or should I again mention it to my oncologist X

Hello, sorry I’ve not been on here for a while. I’ve just had my 2nd SIRT at Hammersmith Hosp in London. They prefer to do it in 2 sessions so that your liver is not too badly damaged. Fairly straightforward and painless although a little uncomfortable. I’m just waiting for follow up scans now. Hope this helps, let me know if you need any more info. Good luck!