66K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone had a Diep done in Glasgow...advice needed!

7 REPLIES 7
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: Has anyone had a Diep done in Glasgow...advice needed!

hi everyone had reconstruction done last may in Glasgow royal. under the care of mr mckay BEST decision i have ever made, had absolutely no pain what so ever. had surgery on the thursday was in high dependanct till tues home wednesday, going in 5th of sept 2 lift other boob get nipple tattoo and lipo done on both hips brand no me lol now a just need a man x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Debs.
Have you had your surgery? Hope you are recovering alright.
Wishing you a smooth recovering with minimal pain.

S

Guest user
Not applicable

p.s.
my husband thinks the surgeon has done a good job!
S

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi deb, seems like you have a lot of questions and I will try my best to answer them.
The surgery was as big a deal as you think. I went to theatre at 0800 and didn't get back to the ward until 10pm. Mr Hart did not do an MRI before hand to look for the vessels although I understand that Mr Malyon usually does. I think mine took so long because it was a right mastectomy and reconstruction on both sides. Also I think my vessels were not usual and it took a bit longer.
As expected I was quite knocked out for the next few days really. The pain wasn't too bad, provided I didn't move! Because of how extensive the surgery was, I was on bed rest for 4 days, but I am told that usually people are out of bed in a day or two. The nurses at the Glasgow Royal were great and I certainly can't complain. I spent 5 days in High Dependency Unit and then a further 5 days on the ward until all my drains were removed.
Each day I am getting stronger, but the key thing is patience. At first you can't stand up straight - still not fully upright but better. My abdomen feels like I am wearing a tight corset! You definitely need someone at home to do everything for you cause you can't do much - I can't lift anything, reach up, it takes me 1/2hr to shower, and i can't walk far. You need a lot of patience to just sit/sleep and let your body heal. Every day I am better and can do more, but there is still a long way to go.
Hope this helps. Good luck on your op. you are right to be anxious, but there is no need to be afraid - the surgeons are great and you will heal.
If there is anything else you want to know I'd be happy to respond. Or you could send me a private message if you want.
S

Maggierg

Hi, I'm due to have this op in Newcastle next month, but no mention of an MRI scan re blood vessels. Can anyone tell me if this is common practice or just something done in Glasgow? This op is a scary thing but for me must be done. Good luck with your op Debs. Maggie

Guest user
Not applicable

Sofadoc,thanks for your reply,what was the op like and how did you find the infirmary in Glasgow?.You are obviously still feeling very knocked about and in pain as its early days.I havent heard of Mr Hart,Im under Mr Malyon....when you feel upto writing back, I would love to hear your journey,you are so brave and `well done `and I wish you a speedy recovery,Debs

Guest user
Not applicable

I have just had a mastectomy with Diep bilateral reconstruction done on 17th July undr Mr Hart. Got home on Sunday. Get in touch if you want to chat.
S

Guest user
Not applicable

Has anyone had a Diep done in Glasgow...advice needed!

Im really needing to talk with someone who has had a Diep recon under Mr Malyon,im due for an mri scan soon to see how my blood vessals are...ready for this type of recon.But ive not been able to talk with other ladies who have been for this at the Infirmary in Glasgow.Maybe someone can help?Thanx for taking time to read this,Debs