71692members
376051posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone had a subcutaneous mastectomy?

18 REPLIES 18
raechi

Re: Has anyone had a subcutaneous mastectomy?

Thanks hon. Roll on tomorrow. X

CK1

Hi Rae,
Thanks, I saw on a different thread your news but hadn't got round to commenting yet. That's great news but you've had to do a lot to get there, Have a lovely break before radiotherapy x
raechi

Fab news CK1...i got my path news too... bit different for me as i had already had chemo - but it proved that chemo had done the job... it had cleared all the cancer from my lymph nodes and shrunk my original tumour 🙂
Best of luck on Tuesday
x

CK1

HI all,
Got my pathology results on Tuesday, tumour was 2.5 cm in the end and the sentinel node biopsy was clear (Great news!). DCIS was also found but also cleared with mastectomy, cancer was Grade 3. Have appoinrment with oncologist on Tuesday to see if chemo is necessary. Wondering if grade affects percentages on chemo being viable option? Have 8/8 on ER so hormone therapy is a definite which I had already been told on diagnosis.
Love to all CK1
CK1

Hi Poddle,
I assume your message was for Czeckmate, if it was for me I ddin't get one.
CK1 x
CK1

Thank you Czeckmate this is the kind of thing I was trying to find out. I know I am lucky but I would have had a simple mastectomy to start without any kind of reconstruction unless I went back and asked if something could be done at the time. I understand that in some cases there are no options but all should be considered. We are lucky to have the NHS and for that I am grateful but I feel there may be many out there who could have what I have had but did not have the option offered.
Take care
CK1
poddle

just about to direct message you... post here if you don't get it...

CzechMate

I had a subc mx as risk reducing. I insisted it was subc and if I'd known more at time of dx I would have insisted on subc back then too. In other countries this is a regular option. Understanding, caring and sensitive surgeons will offer this if they can. In this country too many have an "interest" is reconstrcutive surgery so there is a conflict of interests on their part hence the majority of mx NOT being subc.

As for LD then consider you have had a lucky escape because the various problems with this op are heavily downplayed by those who perform them!

I'm very glad you have such a decent surgeon.
CM

CK1

Thanks Rae,
Will do thanks, have just come back from doctors as have a red rash on breast for past few days, it is an infection so have been given strong antibiotics for week. Thought it was part of healing process so just shows that we should not ignore the signs. Get the slightest 'small thing' checked out just in case.
CK
raechi

And CK, best of luck on Tuesday. Let us know how you get on 🙂

raechi

Hiya poddle,
thats really interesting to read. May I ask who your consultant is as I have to have hormone therapy and I would be interested in a second opinion ( due to fertility and wanting to have children) would that be ok?
Fab news re the 5 year mark too 🙂
feel free to message me if you don't want to post on here.

rae
x

CK1

Thanks Poddle,
That is really helpful, I'm 5' 7" so that's interesting.
Congratulations for reaching your milestone this week. x
poddle

I was given the option of chemotherapy (I was 42, pre-menopausal and 8/8 on the oestrogen scale). All cases are different and I took several weeks before I decided not to have chemo. I knew I would have if my lymph nodes were affected but they weren't - they were clear.
Eventually I took what felt to be the middle way of having Zoladex and Tamoxifen for the first two years and then continued with just Tamoxifen. I was lucky in that my oncologist is probably the leading expert in the UK for younger women with breast cancer and made it clear that while chemotherapy was optional hormone therapy wasn't (but that was for my particular case). When I was diagnosed, the NHS recommendation was that anyone with a tumour over 3cm had to be offered chemotherapy. I'm quite tall and well-built, 3cm on my build is different to someone under 5 ft for example. I thought about - and discussed lots of things like this before choosing my treatment plan.
When your sentinel results are through they'll be able to give you rough survival statistics around various treatment options and ultimately I based my decision on those. Chemotherapy would only have added three per cent to my overall (high survival) rate. Zoladex which (temporarily) shuts down your ovaries made more sense (to me) when my tumour was so hormone-based and my oncologist was happy with my decision. Above all, I'm really grateful that I wasn't rushed into the decision (I started on Zoladex and Tamoxifen while I contintued to think about chemotherapy). Getting a second opinion might help.
I hope this helps - I remember my diagnosis as an awful time of great uncertaincy. Five years on (and due to be discharged by my oncologist this week), I feel a great deal more confident. Hormone treatment has (for those of us with hormone-based breast cancers) hugely improved our chance of survival.

CK1

Hi Poddle,
Did you have chemo? I'm told I am definitely to have hormone therapy, am told by several people that due to being 46, pre menopausal and the size of the tumour, 3 cm similar to yours, that it is more than likely I will be offered chemo.
Am at hospital next Tuesday 2 October, 2 weeks post surgery, and am trying to prepare for as many options as possible
CK1 x
CK1

Thank you for your reply Rae it's much appreciated x
CK1

Thanks for feedback. Would you believe I am feeling guilty because I have not gone through what was expected'!!? People don't seem to think you have serious problems if it wasn't all taken out/off.
I had a malignant tumour in my bladder a few years back and because I didn't have chemo then it wasn't taken seriously by some people around me. I was a woman in my thirties and it was overlooked by GPs for several years as I was not in the right age category. Luckily it was sorted in the end. I do feel lucky that I am in the position I am in right now considering what others are going through. Still we are all in our own little worlds and petty comments from people are sometimes so futile and hurtful. Whatever you go through in life is individual to you and yours. I get so frustrated when people try to make trivial comments without the facts.
Thank you Poddle, your comments are really reassuring. I just wanted to highlight this 'option'.
Love n stuff to all CK1
poddle

I had a nipple-sparing mastectomy with an implant in 2007 (it was rare then as well, I think). I had clear margins (my tumour was 3.1cm) and didn't have to have radiotherapy. Anyway, I'm just about to come to the five year mark and there's been no sign of recurrence - I hope this is reassuring to you. I had a diep reconstruction last year to replace the implant and the result is extremely natural.

raechi

Hi,
i was due to have a skin sparing mastectomy but coud not as I got a clot. i think they are relatively common although I have not heard of people keeping their nipple. That's excellent thy can do tht now 🙂
hope you are healing well and best of luck
rae
x

CK1

Has anyone had a subcutaneous mastectomy?

Hi all,
Last week I had a subcutaneous mastectomy with insertion of spacer, there was a mix up as I thought I was going in for an LD flap reconstruction which the BCN had highlighted in my booklet . Apparantly the LD flap reconstruction may come later after all other treatmemts. The surgery was done as a skin sparing mastectomy and I am fortunate that at the moment I still have my nipple. I had never heard the term before but looking it up it can be done dependent on the location of tumor and the clear margins. Has anyone else had this surgery or know anything about it? Thought I would highlight this because I don't know if it is a relatively new procedure. Had an SNB at the same time and will find out further test results next week. I can't find any reference to this procedure in the literature we are given but feel so lucky that at this stage I am in this position. Had a 3cm lump which due to size of my breast and need for clear margins the mastectomy was advised. Would have felt more confident if this was a possible procedure that was offered at diagnosis of BC. It only came about because I went back to the consultant and asked if some kind of recontruction could be done. Apparently with this I can have radiotherapy if required.
Trying not to get to excited as I know I still have long road ahead.
Onwards and onwards
CK1