Has anyone opted for double mastectomy

Hello ladies hope you’re all well.
I was diagnosed a week before Christmas 2013 at 35 mum of 5 children. Had lumpectomy followed by chemo. Fished chemo 4 weeks ago. Due to start rads soon. But I am seeing my surgeon on tues as I am thinking of opting for a double mastectomy mainly for peace of mind as worry about recurrence being triple negative. I had no node involvement. Was wondering if anyone has any advice for me?
Thank you in advance xx

Hi hay578. I don’t have any advice for you but just wanted to say that I feel the same way as you. I am also seeing my surgeon on Tuesday to discuss this. My cancer is very big at 7cm and I have a small cyst in the other breast too. Due to the size of the cancer they are doing chemo first so my surgery is schedule for November once chemo has finished. I am 43 and mum of 2 so can totally understand that you want to do the most you can to avoid recurrence. Hopefully they’ll be able to sit down with you and have statistics to show the difference in life expectancy with or without the double mx. Good luck and let us know how it goes. X

Hello hay578
I was diagnosed with triple negative breast cancer in 2012 (with affected lymph nodes). I had WLE x 2, chemo and rads. Because of a strong family history I opted to have double mastectomy. My surgeon agreed but not until after all the treatment was finished. You should be aware that double mastectomy does not reduce the risk if recurrence from your current breast cancer but does drastically reduce the risk of a new primary xx