Have been referred to breast clinic. Am very worried.

I have recently found a large lump in the tissue between my breast and my armpit, it is very deep and very hard.

I went to the doctor, thinking he was going to tell me it was a cyst or maybe just an inflamed gland. I needed my mind put at rest as we have a strong history of breast cancer on my mothers side of the family, most recently my mother. He referred me to the breast clinic.

I have also been noticing a very small amount of discharge, i just thought it was normal and also i often get patches of raised or indented skin, it often has a very bizzarre texture.

My breasts are very large and although i check them regularly i often struggle to differentiate between regular tissue and irregular.
i had not noticed a lump in my breast, however when i visited the doctor yesterday regarding the lump between my breast and underarm, he discoved a lump very deep within my breast.

I am only 22 and i am very worried, i am struggling to talk to my mother about this as i do not want to worry her or remind her of the struggle she had with the disease.

Is it normal for me to be so worried, i am sure that everything will be ok, but the waiting is torture, i have only gone one day. All of a sudden two weeks is a very long time!

Hello smie11

Welcome to the forums, this must be a very worrying time for you, I’m sure the users of the site will be along to support you soon.

Whilst waiting for replies maybe you would like to talk things through with a member of our helpline staff who are there to offer emotional support as well as practical information.
The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 9.00 to 2.00.

Best wishes
June, moderator

Hello,

Of course it is normal and natural to be worried - particularly if you have a strong family history - and it is good that they are checking it out and hopefully it will be nothing.

I have a strong family history and lost my mother to breast cancer. I was diagnosed last year at the age of 33 but had lots of harmless thickenings and lumps and bumps throughout my 20s - so hopefully yours is nothing sinister but you can use this experience to ensure that they keep a close eye on you so if you were to develop cancer that it would be caught early (this is my biggest regret - I got palmed off on 3 occasions and told I was at no higher risk until I was 40 - so I believed them). I had quite large breasts too and know that it is difficult to track changes as I checked mine regularly but didn’t even notice the change until it was very advanced and I had 3 lumps in total with the biggest at almost 9cm!

9 out of 10 lumps, bumps and thickenings are benign - so hopefully you will be fine - but of COURSE you are going to worry until you get the results. Time does drag!!! Try and keep busy! Really hope it all goes well for you.

x