Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have decided to go for a mastectomy with an immediate implant

24 REPLIES 24

Re: Have decided to go for a mastectomy with an immediate implant

Any questions do ask

I had that, 12 months ago today. I am really pleased. One scar, no other muscles cut, so no weak back, or tummy.
could sit topless on the beach and you wouldn't know...
feelsfunny if i do too much lifting of heavy stuff
Helen

Jill
I need a mastectomy for DCIS and will probably go for implants with mesh option which is similar to you. Final decision yet to be made. Just wondering how are you feeling now a few months in. are you pleased with the outcome , does the reconstructed feel alien ? How is the pain?

Sorry lots of questions hope you don't mind , trying to get my head around this whole thing.

I have also found that if I do too much - thinking I am feeling better but obviously not - I have really tired days. Only to be expected I guess!
Hope you have a lovely hols,
Jill x

Interesting, no one said to me about testing my dcis - all i was told after was i had clear margin, none in lymph and so was considered cancer clear. No need for rads or chemo.

Jill, they never really said, but thought it was the shock of surgery to my body - my skin in particular, which is thin. Their concern wa whether it was due to infection and my body fighting the implant - early rejection i suppose. The swelling was a cup size. They drained off a very small amount of liquid - the skin itself was swollen, it was not infected. So i took ibuprofen 2tabs3x per day for a further 6 weeks. After that it only swelled on doing too much - that is how it has remained till quite recently when i realised it had not swollen for 3 weeks. On holiday at present - the 3hr ferry caused swelling or was it lifting a heavy suitcase? Hope that explains a bit.

When I had a check up at the hospital this week, the surgeon said that micro invasive cells, from the breast tissue that was removed,were being tested for oestrogen positive and negative. If tests show positive, I would need to take hormone tablets for the next 5 years to eliminate the chance of calcium deposits forming in my other breast.
Has anyone taken these tablets?

When I stood in front of the mirror and saw my wound full on, I was quite shocked at the bruising and the raw wound and the difference in levels between my implant side and my other breast. When I have my bra on there is no difference in the level of my breasts. I am not sure yet about having a lift to my other breast or about having a nipple tattooed or reconstructed?
Helen, you mentioned that your breast swelled up after a few weeks - what caused that?

Hi Jill I have had the implant and mesh recon, in February and am having uplift to good boob at end august, I am also having nipple reconstruction using my existing nipple shared between both boobs, my surgeon is also doing some fat transfer to pad out the dents I have as have very bony upper chest! I am pleased with re on so far.

It varies - i met a lady who once surgery was over, was so delighted with having a boob at all that she never looked back.
i was in tears until week before op. Then all was ok until i swelled up a few weeks later - then i fell apart: anger shock you name it i felt awful. Someone said it is a form of grief, but it took this website and a MacMillan nurse to straighten me out. Better the emotions out though. So just take each day as it comes for you.
helenbythesea

That is what my husband and i think. I can wear a nice dress, and can now wear underwired bras for an evening - not longer as feel unsupported and can dig in.
friend who had back recon, also has one pert side and one not - but good in a bra/bikini.

once healed have soothed scar with vitamin e oil and a few drops of lavender oil. Think it is helping to heal scar and smells pleasant.

helenbythesea

I had my 2 week check up last week and the surgeon removed the original dressing. I did not see my scar properly until I saw it in a mirror at home when my husband changed my dressing the next day. Was expecting the scar but it was still a shock. My surgery side (right) is still tender and my breasts are obviously ' uneven' at the moment and the thought of any more surgery at the moment is not a consideration. My left breast has already dropped somewhat naturally and I am quite uneven at the moment but when I have my bra on, there is not a great difference in the level of my breasts. I don't get any monthly changes as I have gone through the menopause but I can see your point about less surgery is better and at the moment don't think I am bothered about levelling them up - small steps I think really. The procedure so far has been a huge step to get used to. From my biopsy on 12th June to the op on 23rd July has been one very swift journey! Jill

I had my op at end of october. My implant side swelled so there was worry about rejection, but all settled now. My surgeon said he could even me up - i was very symmetrical before. But now he feels less surgery is more - not least cos my normal boob swells with hormones once a month anyway. That can be a cup size . I think with time my normal one will drop! Not sure how i feel about looking that odd later, but will cross that bridge then. At present pleased with reconstruction and just glad to not need more anaesthetic - it's all risky. Helen

I had surgery on my right breast nearly 2 weeks ago. I know the implant will need time to settle but the surgeon has talked of lifting my other breast to match my reconstructed breast if I needed this. It is not something which bothers me at the moment and I don't know whether I will feel differently later on.
Has anyone experienced feelings about this or had a lift carried out?

I am still wearing the support bra, both at night and during day. Have started to wear my bras for evenings - but can't feel the underwire so not sure if it is suitable for all day yet.
it does take time to settle, soften and my skin took a while to relax around it too. Helen

I had surgery a week ago having had the 'blue dye' injection to show up the lymph nodes for the sentinel node biopsy. The surgeon removed a few nodes to send for testing whilst I was under anaesthetic and said he would remove the rest if the results showed any invasion. The results showed that an invasion had not taken place into my armpit.
The implant and mesh procedure went well according to the surgeon and I was discharged the next day. Am now doing the exercises.
I have looked at my breast following surgery and can remember the nurse saying that the implant may take time to settle into a shape. Have found it really beneficial to wear a support bra with opening at the front

I only found going there useful afterwards, when i was concerned about post op after effects. Couldn't take it in or ask before!

I know what you mean Jill. I had to stop my mind from making little home videos of what was going to be happening in the operating theatre. In fact, I still do! In this case it really is a case of best not even going there.... x

Thanks to you both for your constructive advice. I am ready for the practical side of things - stretchy bras, exercise routine and preparations at home but it is the actual thought of what the surgeon will be doing to my body! I am positive about what is going to be done but occasionally my mind jumps at the thought and a panic takes me over. I know the surgery is preventative and I am sure it is the right option for me. And recovery may be only 6 - 8 weeks for a return to work but still scary x

Hi Jill
Have you looked at photos of real reconstructions with your BCN? I did this with mine (in her office at the local hospital) to help me decide which type of reconstruction to go for and it gave me a rough idea of how it was going to look.

I had MX with immediate LD Flap reconstruction last Tuesday (due to size matching with other boob I had to have an implant put behind the donor muscle too). I took a tentative peek at my new boob the day after surgery, expecting to feel a little horrified, but was amazed at the great job they had done. It still looked like my breast, albeit with a large, round, different shade patch of skin where the nipple used to be. So far, I'm delighted with the result. By the time it's had its tweeks and a new nipple added it will be difficult to identify as a reconstruction without close scrutiny. These surgeons really are perfectionists! x

Dear Jill,

I understand where you are at.... you hear the words, you understand the meaning of them, and you understand it will be different.  Unfortunately, I don't think any of us can understand the emotional stuff until afterwards, and then we respond differently.

If you have made the decision and signed the forms - go with the flow.  Look at this website - what to take into hospital and don't feel upset abpout being resigned.  The DCIS is better out than in.  I felt I could not live with that worry - sdo my big decision was made once i had signed the form!

Helen

Am feeling a bit resigned to the surgery which is booked for next week, then I realise that it is me that will be going through it!! I understand exactly what the surgeon will be doing and the breast care nurse has explained to me how my breast will look/feel afterwards but cannot imagine it.

DCIS is funny, because on the scale of cancers it is quite minor!  But it dies not feel like that to us that have it.  Each person has reacted differently to their jpurneys.

I have one friend who just gets up each day and gets on with it - she has not fallen apart, although found a lack of nipple hard to look at.

Another found that the worst part and has been desperate to have a tattoo/reconstruction.

I was ok until 2 months after surgery, then i fell apart in costas.  Mine swelled up and stopped me gaining strength - after 2 months it was going down, but getting me down!  

the Breast Cancer nurse prior to my op was really wise - and said the hardest thing to get used to is the fact that afterwards things are different and what you focus on is probably up to each of us!

Helen

Hi JillH

Welcome to the BCC Forum.  I'm sure other members will soon be along with some support for you.  In the meantime I've attached a link to our booklet on Breast Reconstruction which I thought might be useful:

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/sites/default/files/breast_reconstruction_web.pdf

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

Have decided to go for a mastectomy with an immediate implant

Still a difficult decision having been diagnosed with DCIS but preventative surgery offered. I know my breast will be/feel lumpy after surgery. How does this affect you emotionally, am thinking it will be quite awful