Have fibroadenoma, gpoing for needle biopsy..please help

Hi!

I am new to this site. 2 weeks ago I found a lump in my right breast. Oddly enough, I was going for my annual gyno appointment the very next day. The dr. gave me the breast exam and did not find anything until I pointed the lump out. She sent me for a sonogram where they are saying that its a fibroadenoma. It’s about 1cm in size. I am going for a needle biopsy. I am scared of needles. Can anyone tell me what to expect?
Thanks
DOnna

Hi Donna
(please excuse spelling but no spell check on here and I’m rubbish at it)

Like you I don’t like needles and stuff (and I’m a nurse so should be ok with them)

I had my biopsy on 1st of this month, didnt realise they would do it then and there, gone for mamagram, and ultrasound and they did the biopsy then, prob a bit easier as didnt have time to think about it.

May differ slightly how they do it in different centres and how painless could be down to the person doing it.

I had mine under ultrasound (like when they do scans of babies and stuff)they put some local anesthetic which I thought would hurt like heck but was only like a little pin prick, for the biopsy she then did a small cut which I didnt realise she’d done till she told me, the biopsy needle I couldnt really feel and when she took the biopsy felt like a dull tug.
I did also have a needle aspiration of another small bit that I must say hurt like heck, for that I wiggled my toes like mad crunched my teeth and thought happy thoughts, distraction thereapy does work.

Overall not as bad as I imagined and it only took about max 5-10 mins I guess, the small plaster and sterri strips that they put over the biopsy site, did irritate like heck, and as it healed where they did the cut itched (a good sign).
The bruising after was quite painfull as it came through and lasted for a good week and breast was rather tender. I’d say that was the worse part of the whole procedure.
Plus I tend to sleep on the side where it was taken that was quite uncomfortable but carefull positioning of a comfy pillow and some panadaol (if you need it) helps a lot.

One thing I would do though is wear a comfy bra with no wires as I didnt realise I was having mine done I had an underwire one on which was not much fun.

Hope this is of some help, all the best and take care
Glenna

Hi donna212

You may find it helpful to have a look at the BCC booklet ‘referral to a breast clinic’, it contains information on a needle biopsy. If you would like a copy just follow this link:-

breastcancercare.org.uk/upload/pdf/referral_redesign__final_14_feb_08_0.pdf

I hope this is helpful.

Kind regards
Sam (BCC Facilitator)

Thank you so much for your posting. All of this is so scarey and it is really nice that we can share our experiece. I did have it done tonight. I went in thinking they were doing a fine needle aspirate. Well as I was signing the consent I found out it was a core biopsy. I did also get a prescription for Emla. I had to apply it 2 hours before. It helped though! Both of my Dr.'s shu=rugged me off when I asked about it. Thankfully I went against them and had them give me a prescription just in the nick of time today. It was not as bad as I thought but of course I did have a full blown panic attack. I only get these when I get a needle. So scard of them. I am starting to feel quite a bit of pain now. They did not give me pain medication and advil is not working. I think I need something else but I just don’t know what to ask for. Any suggestions? But…for the most part it was not as bad as I was imagining. I get the results back in two days.

One more question…moving forward do I demand having a sonogram every six months, or 3 months? Because now I don’t trust just having an exam as I am the one who found the lump. My dr. did a breast exam and she did not even find it,I told her where I felt it. I am also not sure as to why women don’t get a sonogram as part of our yearly exam.

Again thank you so much!
Donna

I am 17 years old and I found a lump about 6 months ago and since then it has grown significantly. I went to get it checked with an ultrasound and they said i had fibroadenoma which had practically taken over my left breast. I have been refered to a great breast plastic surgeon to get it removed. I am extremely nervous and I know I will have a distroted breast after it is all removed. I should not have waited so long to get this checked out but I want some opinions on my situation. Should I consider reconstruction at some point. I have read some stories and at my size of fibroadenoma some women have opted for reconstructing. I really don’t want to be self conscious of my body

Hi Vblla26

I have noticed that you haven’t had any replies to you question regarding reconstruction so I have put for you below the link to one of BCC’s publications regarding reconstruction. I hope this helps. You are also more than welcome to phone the helpline and have a chat with one of the staff here. Calls to the helpline are free, 0808 800 6000, lines open Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm and Sat 9am - 2pm

Reconstruction:

breastcancercare.org.uk/server/show/nav.718/changeTemplate/PublicationDisplay/publicationId/107

Kind regards,
Jo, Facilitator