Have my 1st appt on wednesday

Hello all I’m Emma and I have my 1st appt on Wednesday at 18:10 @ Medway Kent,  I’m scared sbutfeelingok tbh adppsivbeen through every emotion imaginable in the last the 2weeks x 

I’m a single mum with two boys aged 3 n 6 the eldest being autistic x

I had painful leaking boobs about 3 weeks ago went to see my gp who found the lump in my right breast :frowning:

Waiting for this appt to come through has been a mega rollercoster ride as my mum had BC in 2011 and my dad has MDS a form of leukaemia x and hasn’t been well the last few months, so haven’t said anything to them x

I’m hoping that it’s just a cyst but then why are both boobies hurting? ATM I’m cool calm n collected not saying I haven’t cried coz I have lol x

So what I’m asking really is what can I expect at this 1st appt ? I’m taking my best friend with me for support which I know I will need x but I’m also a planner I need to be prepared for my boys not only for tests etc but for their schooling who will pick them up n who will stay with them at home of a night night time.

I know I’m jumping the gun but I’ve lituary have 2 people that could look after my boys if I have to stay in hospital, sorry for the long post but need help x

Hi Emma

Welcome to the forum.  I’m sure other members will soon be along to offer you some support.

I’ve attached a link to our publication which tells you a bit about what to expect at your breast clinic appointment:

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/sites/default/files/your_breast_clinic_appointment.pdf

Hope this helps.

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

Hi. Emma, your doing the right thing coming on here - it’s an amazing source of support and information.

I would think it would be extremely unlikely for you to be kept in hospital overnight. You will have an initial consultation and physical examination. I’m guessing from the ages of your boys that you are younger - I had a mammogram as first test but I believe they are not always suitable for younger breasts so there is a chance you’ll have an ultrasound instead. Either way, if they see anything suspicious they will take biopsies so you might be there for a good few hours but they won’t have a treatment plan for you that day. The wounds from the biopsies are tiny so just need a plaster. I got my biopsy results one week later but some ladies on here seem to wait a good bit longer. It’s all undeniably scarey but the “one stop shop” way of doing things certainly cuts down on waiting for tests which is even worse!

Absolutely no point telling you not to worry but try just to take things one step at a time and fingers crossed you’ll get good news. We find strength we never knew we had and sometimes the most unexpected people will step up to offer support.
Hugs,
Kitt
X

Thanks Kittkat

Even though my boys are young I am an older mum I’m 41. I guess I’m trying to be prepared if IF it is BC, as it won’t be family that could help with the boys but close friends, and with the eldest being autistic n the youngest under going assessment for autism I need to prepare them mentally n emotionally before me for any changes :frowning:

Its like catch 22 as I’m trying to stay positive but also preparing my boys for a mega change :frowning:

Wednesday can’t come quick enough x

Hi Emma, that’s really hard having so much to deal with . Hopefully you won’t need surgery but if you do, many of the procedures are done on a day surgery basis. The hospital would need to know that you had another adult to go home to so would one of your friends be able to stay with you? Then at least your boys would be in a familiar environment which is no doubt important to your oldest. Even tho I was first on the list and in theatre by 9am for a straightforward procedure, it was still 8pm before I got home. Have you ever used overnight respite for your autistic son? Would be a really hard time to introduce it as a new thing for him but maybe an option if there is already somewhere he knows?
Hugs,
Kitt
X

Hiya Kittkatt

My eldest has never had respite from I fact I. The last 6yes 8months of his life I’ve only had 4nights away from him n that was when I had his little brother! I’ve never had a night away from the youngest x

I want to make this as easy as possible for them both, but until my appt Wednesday I won’t be any wiser :frowning:

Thanks for replying it’s much appreciated x my dad is now back in hospital so way too much going on for me to even worry about myself ATM

But as I’m always optimistic I’m keeping my options open along with faith x hope ur doing ok x

Well today is the day sink or swim as they say, trying to keep busy until 6pm but finding it harder than normal to get motivated :frowning:

Wish me luck x

Hi Emma,
I’ve been thinking of you today - rotten luck to have an appointment so late in the day ! I’m sure you won’t be able to do anything but watch the clock.
Have you got any questions you have written down? We all think we’ll remember them but brain turns to porridge under the stress of the moment.
Let us know how you get on.
Hugs,
Kitt
X