74.2K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have you experienced the Ribbon Walk yet?

10 REPLIES 10
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: Have you experienced the Ribbon Walk yet?

NO not yet...

Guest user
Not applicable

I trained for the Ribbon Walk this summer, but on the day my drains were blocked and I spent a frustrating day buying and using drain rods (ultimately successful). Such a complete let down.

However I really benefitted from the training programme which helped my overall fitness despite secondaries. I can so recommend doing it from that point of view, improving your fitness level.

I have also read that the more exercise you do the less chance you have (really almost a direct link) of developing secondaries. So from the secondary camp, I would urge you strongly to get out there and gradually get fit. The training schedules are really brilliant. Being registered to do a walk will give you the push to go for the training.

The training also makes you feel so much more positive, another great benefit! Worth every penny of £250!!

Letty

Guest user
Not applicable

valentine

last time I did the Blenheim 10 mile, I was a bit short of £250, and this wasn't the first time...so, no, they will not ban you if you do not meet the target, it's just that obviously they prefer it if you can meet the fundraising target, and will give you plenty of advice on how to boost a flagging target...last year they even extended the deadline to allow those who hadn't got to £250 the chance to try and do so

karen xx

Guest user
Not applicable

I have just joined the forum and wanted to say to anyone unsure about registering for a Ribbon Walk - DO IT!!!! I have taken part in both the 10 and 20 mile walks at Blenheim Palace in Oxfordshire and can not recommend it enough! The support from BCC is excellant, coupled with the advice and tips in W&H magazine, it's a great way to raise money, get fit, make new friends and have a fabulous day out. You are made to feel a real hero as you pass the finish line and collect your medal/ It can be very emotional knowing that the money you raise could help somebodys Mum/Dad/daughter/son etc......
If anyone has any questions about this years walk at Blenheim, do please ask (I'm on the local committe so if I don't know the answer I can ask someone who does!). 🙂

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all

I decided to give something back this year so me and my hubbie have signed up for the 10 mile leg at Harewood House (thought we would walk before we run..please excuse the pun.
I have been thinking about it for a while and your posts saying it was a great experience have spurred me on.

Better get the walking boots out of storage!!!

S x

I was also put off by the demand to raise at least £250. What would have happened if I'd sent in less? Would I be banned from all future events?
The walk itself was great. Ironically I signed up because of a friend of mine who'd had breast cancer and just a few weeks before the walk I was diagnosed with it.

Guest user
Not applicable

I did the Ribbon Walk last year at Petworth.

We were initially hesitant over the need to raise £250 but the best way around it is to be a team and combine your fundraising kitty. This way if someone raises a lot, another does not need to worry as much but you can all still participate. In fact our team of 8 ended up smashing our £2000 target and raised over £5000!!! The local newspaper covered the story and this helped give the team credibility and an article to use for fundraising. It was handy having a fundraising website as pledges came in thick and fast. We then did small fundraising events at work like pink shirts day, cake sales and raffles. Car boot sales were also useful, clearing clutter and making money - bonus! We had events where a cut went to charity e.g. pampered chef evening. Local businesses donated prizes for an auction at a local summer event. It was quite a buzz.

It was a privilege to be part of the event. The setting was stunning, the sun was shining (thank god) and there was a lovely friendly and poignant atmosphere. I can fully see the need for the registration fee and the challenge of raising the money because of the need to secure the money for such a large scale event. The event was slickly organised, lots of goodies on offer from a range of sponsors, many stops along the way with water, fruit and more goodies. A well marked route and many volunteers cheering along the way. Lots of keen BCC and Woman and Home people egging you on. Plus, on our return we had an amazing greeting. Not only were we able to enjoy a delicious BBQ, team members had massages and there was such a sense of achievement.

A truly memorable day that my team still feel thankful to have been part of it. We had a mission to do it again this year too, but unfortunately my Breast Cancer is spreading again through my bones.... so we need others to bite the bullet and go for it on our behalf! I'll hopefully be there cheering you on.

BCC do so much to help many people in my circumstances that events like this are an essential part of ensuring their work can continue.

Top tip: Take a bottle (or two) of fizz to enjoy at the end!

Go on.... you know you want to!

I wanted to do the Ribbon Walk but was put off by the fact that one must pledge at least £250 of donations. I don't like the fact that fundraisers are being put under pressure. Everyone does what they can.
Instead I "Ran for Life" for Cancer Research UK, and raided £450.

Hi Sarah - the walks at the moment are in Oxfordshire, West Sussex, West Yorkshire and Perthshire. So I think the nearest one to you would be the Blenheim Palace Ribbon Walk in Oxfordshire. It's a beautiful walk and the start and finish area has a stunning view of the Palace.

If you want any more information please do not hesitate to contact 0870 145 0101 or visit the website www.ribbonwalk.org.uk.

Best wishes
Lucy
Ribbon Walk Team

Hi
Sounds good, are there any walks planned for worcestershire?
Sarah66

Have you experienced the Ribbon Walk yet?

We want everyone to come together to support people affected by breast cancer. Whether you’ve had breast cancer yourself, plan to walk for family or friends, or just want to enjoy a fun day’s walk in stunning countryside, this is a day to celebrate, be moved and inspired.

The Ribbon Walk is a day of fun, camaraderie and achievement, bringing hundreds of women and men together to take part in beautiful and challenging countryside walks. Starting and finishing at some of the country’s most magnificent stately homes, you can choose to follow a 10 or 20 mile circular ribbon route.

Here is what some of our participants thought of the experience last year:
'An emotional experience filled with a little sadness, tears and laughter. It was absolutely amazing and the atmosphere was fantastic.'

'Fantastic and a big achievement especially as this time last year I had just finished chemotherapy. It was a very emotional experience and I will remember it forever.'

'Fantastic - a wonderful walk through beautiful countryside, with my sister and friends'

Find out more and sign up now http://www.ribbonwalk.org.uk or call 0870 145 0101. Quote BW900 to be entered into the free prize draw.

Volunteer opportunities
If you are unable to walk you could instead join our invaluable team of Ribbon Walk volunteers. You can do anything from registering in participants, cheering them along the walk to handing out medals when they finish; it’s guaranteed to be a fun filled day! For more information on volunteering please visit http://www.ribbonwalk.org.uk or call 0207 960 3492.

We look forward to seeing you there.