Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having a baby after 4 months

4 REPLIES 4
tors

Re: Having a baby after 4 months

Hiya,

I'd be really really reluctant to tell you to go for it. What was your diagnosis and what was your treatment? You are at the highest risk of recurrence for the first two years after treatment, and that's probably why your medical team are advising you against a pregnancy now. I would urge you to think really carefully about this. The current evidence suggests that it's ok to go on to have a pregnancy after a breast cancer diagnosis, but i don't think it meant this soon after. If you were to have a recurrence, either in the breast or elsewhere, then you'd need treatment whilst pregnant. You have to be at a certain stage in pregnancy before they'll let you have chemo and it's quite late on. I've seen quite afew friends go through chemo pregnant and they are terrified for themselves and for their unborn babies. I've seen quite a few girls be diagnosed n early pregnancy and have to make a choice to have an abortion as they needed treatment ASAP to save themselves, and I've seen girls make the opposite decision, to keep the baby but delay treatment and so drastically reduce the chances of being around to bring their baby up themselves.

You have a choice which those women didn't have. Nobody can guarantee that these things wouldn't happen to you even if you left it the 2 years, but you'd have a much better chance of not facing these heartbreaking circumstances if you did wait just two years. And you need some time to get past your treatment and centre yourself again too, s that you'll be the best mum possible. I was diagnosed at 36, three years ago, and I was on a high after treatment, very manic, desperate to get my old life back on track and carry on as if the breast Cancer was just a blip. But it isn't a blip, it takes a lot of time to get your head round.

I'd really ask you to think again and, if you wish to go against medical advice, for you to really really understand your diagnosis, it's implications, your prognosis and the fact that you were only 25 at dx. if you don't trust what your own team are telling you, please please get a second opinion so you can make a fully informed decision.

All the best,

Vickie

Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks Zuzy! They just said wait at least 2 years but I feel ready now. I haven't taken tamoxifen yet as I have always had this in my head. I see my ivf clinic tomorrow so I have already started the process. Xx
Zuzy

Hi confused, it is crap isn't it?! Why do your team not rcommend it? Are you taking tamoxifen? if you are you would need to stop before trying, i know of people who have stopped after 2 years to try and then started it again after. As yo say you have time on your side so s this an option? If not I'd want to understand issues so I could make a considered decision. Good luck with it xx
Louise_BCC

Hi there

Whilst you're waiting for others to respond and share their experiences, I thought you might like to read our factsheet on fertility and pregnancy. Here's the link to the page where it can be downloaded or ordered:

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/treatment-side-effects/fertility-issues-breast-canc...

Best wishes

Louise, Facilitator

Guest user
Not applicable

Having a baby after 4 months

Hi, only ever written 1 post! This my 2nd please help people!
I am 4 months post treatment, I am considering having children as I was trying just before I was diagnosed docs/nurses do not recommend but I am still going ahead. I think what will be will be. I could leave it 2-5 Years and find out I could never have kids or I could take a risk now while I'm young and take the consequences if I have too.
I have grade 2 bc all nodes taken but mirco amount in them. Had chemo and radio! I am 25 years old so have age on side also
I was wondering if anybody has done anything similar? Or has Advice On having children so soon after treatment?

X