Having a mammogram when disabled - any hints?

I currently have disabling back pain. It is not (I hope) a permanent disability but I am due to have a second year post-op mammogram on 1st February. The thought of twisting and contorting my body in order to stick my boobs into the machine fills me with absolute dread. I have contacted the ‘ask a nurse’ facility on this site and have been advised to contact my hospital to see if they have facilities for disabled women. Whilst this is good advice it would be nice to hear from someone with similar back problems or a woman who is disabled and unable to stand who has had a mammogram about the procedure. Are there special machines? Can you have a mammogram sitting down? Help!

AlexG

Hi alex,
I have terrible problemss with my legs and often use a wheelchair. I did have my mammoram standing up clutching my stick for all it was worth, but the machine was new aadn there was a disabled sign on the pads that move the mchine indicating that you could have it done sitting in a wheeelchair. I suggest you phone the hospital and ask to speak to tohe radiographers who will know.
best wishes-back pain is nasty

Yes you can have a mammo sitting down.As Knitnut says give the dept a call and tell them your problems so they are prepared.

Thanks ladies. Fingers crossed, eh!

AlexG