Having a moan

Today I was in hospital receiving my 2nd op results and now am needing a mastectomy as the margins showed more dcis and also a 3mm IDC. What’s gone from a small lump and lumpectomy has now turned into 3rd op - mastectomy and more naughty cells, it’s never ending. The annoying thing is I had asked for a mastectomy at the very start but told it wasn’t needed and also my consultant wants me to possibly have genetic testing because of my age. The good bit is I’ll get to start chemo in the next few weeks to destroy the rogue little buggers (sorry if swearing isn’t allowed) I have decided that I want a double mastectomy and won’t take no for an answer this time! Rant over…where’s the wine ?

Hope you get what you want, and rant on when you need to!

I’m back to clinic tomorrow and I do not know whether to haggle for a 3rd WLE or go gracefully for the full lobotomy, sorry, mastectomy.

Think it will be the full MX, has to be really, doesn’t it,  to reduce the risk?

I’ve had a second opinion, so both saying MX, but I’m finding it very hard to accept, wish I could be bit more certain.

Phew. Here we are, scattered all over the UK all tangling with this wretched business, half of us running from reality, half trying to get a double MX to be as safe as possible, and half ( I know…)just  freaked out. Anyway, tomorrow is decision day. 

Sorry to be such a wuss! I’m going wild and having TWO codeine tonight…

Cara and Caroluna - what a good name for a double act !!

Oooooo 'Eck - I do feel for you both.

Cara - how old ARE you then, that they want to check if it may be genetically linked?? And presumably, other members of your family have been affected. My neighbour elected to have a double mastectomy and that was without genetic linking. She’d heard of so many people (like myself) who developed BC in their healthy breast not long after the 1st. Not always the case, as you’ll read from many of the people on the Forum. It took a lot of persuading, but she was granted it in the end.She’s in her early 50’s. I’m loving your attitude to chemo and know you’ll be in excellent hands on here with so many other fellow chemo-cuties for back up support/advice. x

Caroluna - I was “advised” with my 1st boob to have a mastectomy, as the amount to take for lumpectomy amounted to taking a sphere of 3cm across from a none too ample boob to start with. The surgeon didn’t think “I’D” be happy with the remaining result, tho’ could possibly be tweeked a bit later. I was hanging onto my nipple for its dear life. Hadn’t even decided the night in hospital before the op - full mastectomy with loss of nipple BUT no radiotherapy (this was back in 2006 and things were different with no sentinel node tests) OR lumpectomy, save nipple but a bit of a grim looking remaining boob. Took me taking myself to the ward bathroom at 2.00, taking my top off in front of the mirror and pinching in 3cms of flesh. Mmmmm, WAS’NT gonna be good, was it. That made up my mind for a FULL job.

Was an easypeasy decision with the second boob, 9 months later - no messing.

BUT, what about immediate recon at the same time Carol??? Surely that’s been discussed? If it HAS and it IS an option, that’s what I’d go for girl.

Hope all goes well, whatever you choose. Let us know how you’re doing please won’t you.

Loadsa love

Dellywellydoodaah xxx 

Hi dellywellydoodaah - that made me laugh, thanks for reply. I’m 27 and the only 2 people I know who’ve had bc were my gran and great gran who both sadly didn’t make it. My gran on my mums side was 52 so I don’t remember meeting her as I was only a baby. And my grandads (also on my mums side) mum had it too. So I don’t think it’s something gene related but I still have to see the genetics team.

Hi caroluna, hope today goes well and you’ve decided what to go for. Personally in my opinion I’d go for the mx just with me being young and also having her2 & er+ grade 3 tumours, I don’t want to be spending my 30th going through all of this again or in the future for that matter. That’s why without me even having the gene that I’ll push for the “full monty”.

Just off the phone with my bcn and will be seeing my oncologist this Thursday.

Cara - Has your Mum, Aunties, sisters been tested for the gene??

Anyway, I understand your thinking ref your age etc. Have YOU been offered immediate reconstruction at the same time of your mast?? Or are there perhaps possibilities of you needing radiotherapy so advised to delay due to poss skin damage?? If there aren’t, my advice, espesh at your age and more espesh if, like me, you’re single, is to HAVE IT. You’ll be missing out on one of the operations later down the line in a “delayed” recon situation. Ps. Is your preference white or red flower?? x

Caroluna - is today just another clinic discussion?? Or was it for your op?? Don’t worry about feeling you are pestering your BCN’s or surgeon. It’s massively important that YOU feel RIGHT about your decision, and they know and understand this. Keep bashing it out. BUT, at the end of the day, what I learned from that FIRST boob was - yeh - both the registrar, surgeon and BCN knew what they were talking about with regards to how it would look with just a lumpectomy. 

And another point to make lovey is - that it may be easier to get a BETTER result from reconstruction of a full mastectomy, than from another WLE.

Awwww, you’re both so much in my thoughts.

Love and a looooong Delly hug

xxxx  < 2 each!!

No none have been offered testing just routine mammograms. I’ve been doing more research on my own family and 2 aunts had lumps removed that were benign and all of my aunties including my mum and gran - that’s 8 women, have had to have a full hysterectomy my mum also had endometriosis. I’ve been offered a recon at the same time so will get it all in time for christmas x

Hi Cara, 

It is great to see that you are already receiving support from our users and I am sure they will be here with their continued support if you have any other questions. 

You may want to take a look at our Breast Cancer in Families page for more information. We also have a Breast cancer in Families leaflet which you can download here

In the meantime please do call ourhelpline at 0808 800 6000 who will be able to talk to you about some of your questions regarding genetics and offer a friendly ear. The opening hours are below.

Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm
Late opening Monday and Wednesday 5pm-7pm,
Saturday, 9am-1pm 

Best wishes, 

Lizzy 

Sorry delly forgot to reply about the flower, I like white :relaxed: xxx

Ok Cara - I’ll get a CRATE of white in !!  :-)

Good Luck to you both. Will you please let us know how you’re doing.

xxxx

Caroluna - Please still consider, that having immediate recon WITH your mastectomy is going to save further surgery LATER as oppo to mastectomy with “delayed” recon.

Hope you get your sciatica sorted. Nowt better than a bit of general anaesthetic and morphine to boot !!

xxx

Hi delly & caroluna! I now have start date for chemo… This Thursday! My oncologist was lovely I actually like him more than my surgeon but shh, I’m having 3 fec and 3 t plus herceptin starting on the 4th cycle. I also have an appointment with a geneticist which normally takes weeks to get but the oh so lovely oncologist put in an urgent request and I’m seeing them Monday. Pre assessment Wednesday which means it’s a busy week. Can any of you give me tips on chemo if you had the same?

Caroline, I like the public vote idea maybe make it as a new thread? Xxx

You totally rock that look Sue. x

Sue, I love your attitude and you are in fact helping me as one who has come out the other end so thank you. I had my first haircut yesterday and actually don’t mind my very short cut but have been dithering as to whether I should go into work tomorrow with it on show. You have persuaded me that I’ll be getting out the big earrings and putting on the red lipstick and am going to go for it. 

In the run up to chemo I was determined not to cold cap as thought I was brave enough to go bald. Then the day before I panicked and decided I wanted to try. I lasted two sessions and while not pleasant it was tolerable. However, a couple of days after my second session big chunks started falling out at the top and I resembled a monk - a monk with lots of grey underneath the highlights. Not a great look. At that point I decided to get the clippers out and frankly found it much less traumatic than I had imagined it would be. I went through chemo during winter so wearing hats all the time when I was out was really not that difficult. I even managed to fool my mum, who has Alzheimer’s and who I didn’t want to tell because I thought it would upset her, with my headwear. 

I totally appreciate that for some people the hair loss issue is the most distressing thing about the chemo experience and I certainly admire those who persevere with the cold cap. Those that do it sucessfully report a much speedier return to normal than those who don’t. But for me this aspect was not the most traumatic part of my treatment. I’m actually now really looking forward to trying out new things and am a bit cross with myself for sticking with the same safe hairstyle for way too long!

While I won’t pretend I didn’t have a few days in bed feeling a bit sorry for myself during chemo, it was far more tolerable than I imagined it would be most of the time. Good nutrition and being kind to yourself are the key I think (in my humble opinion) to lessening the side effects.

And on that note I’m off for a walk in park. Before BC I might have still been in bed with a cup of tea at this time on a Sunday morning!

Hope you all have an enjoyable Sunday.

Ruth