71.9K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having my expanders replaced with ??? Need to know my options re Silicon & Saline Implants

6 REPLIES 6
CBreeze

Re: Having my expanders replaced with ??? Need to know my options re Silicon & Saline Implants

Thanks everyone... I managed to speak with a breast nurse who has booked me an appointment for oct to chat to someone as my PS is on holiday until the end of Oct. Least I should have a better idea then so feeling calmer.

Good luck to all 🙂

JoJo11

Re: Having my expanders replaced with ??? Need to know my options re Silicon & Saline Implants

Hi CB,
I had the tear drop shape, at my age it would be expecting a miracle to lift the other breast enough to match the pert round type!
I'm sorry your BC nurse is less than helpful, most are pretty good. You could ring the helpline on here, but I agree that it's very unsatisfactory not to see the plastic surgeon before the op . Is the same surgeon who put the ports in the wrong way round??. If you are really not happy with him/her you can ask for a referral elsewhere. Your GP should be able to help you with that.
All the best with all your decisions, it's hard trying to make the right choice, but I'm sure you will.
Jojo

CBreeze

Hi Zuleika

Yes its a difficult choice. I asked to remain the same size as I felt my breasts were in proportion to my body. There are many factors that affect the out come. I have a very low fat index and my skin is quite thin. Not being too large breast size helps apparently. My implants looked great at first but as months have gone by I have had all sorts of problems. 1 being they can't inflate them as the ports are facing inwards. They pull so you can see all the outline & they ripple. They feel more normal as they are mobile due to not being fully inflated. If I had the choice I would have them inflated, if they looked OK have the ports out. Then if they weren't Ok Id go for the Silicon. Unfortunately that choice isn't available.

I don't know how other people find their breast nurse. Mine is of little help always too busy to answer the phone. I wait days for her to call me back, if at all.  Then she seems to forget to check what Im asking or gives me the wrong information. I have spoken to 2 other breast nurses at different hospitals re procedure.

I feel I should be able to discuss my next operation with my PS and have a clear plan BEFORE my next surgery, but again I am left out here trying to piece it all together. Spending hours researching etc.

Good luck with the rest of your treatment and the settling in process..Its always good to hear the success stories 🙂 Thank you for responding

CB

Zuleika

Hi sorry you are having a nightmare. On a positive note, I had mx with saline tissue expander 5 weeks ago, the overall look and shape is amazing, very realistic. I'm a 32 a and have been offered more filling of the implant and implant on the other side, to go a bit bigger, or stay as I and and just have the port removed.
It's a tough choice, as it looks so like my other breast now. On the other hand, I've always wanted a bigger pair. Good luc, I would call your bc nurse
CBreeze

Thanks Jojo

Your message is really reassuring. I have been getting anxious as time passes as I have heard so many horror stories. I find the Saline heavy so was hoping the Silicone ones would feel better. Do you know what type of shape you had as I know there is a tear drop type and a rounded type..I'm still debating. Thank you once again Smiley Happy

JoJo11

Hi Cbirch,
I had my expander implant replaced with a permanent silicone one three weeks ago, it's much more comfortable and the whole thing is soft and a much better shape. My surgeon inflated the expander a bit more than the size we were aiming for , as he said this would give a more natural shape , so you might find you will drop a cup size anyway. I chose silicone because it feels softer, and is lighter than saline, and I'm very pleased with that choice already.
Do you have a Macmillan nurse? If you do, she would be a good person to discuss your options with.
All the best whatever you decide.
Jojo

CBreeze

Having my expanders replaced with ??? Need to know my options re Silicon & Saline Implants

Had a bi lateral mastectomy a year ago, with immediate reconstruction using expanders & the strattice technic.

As my ports are in back to front I now 2 deflated droppy implants 😞

I can not get any clear information from the hospital who just send me round in circles. I was finally offered an operation date without seeing the plastic surgeon first. So I refused saying I want to discuss all my options re, size, shape and general information. Isn't this standard ??

The first appointment I can get with the P Surgeon is November so have booked my own operation for the week after. Which again seems wrong !!!

Meanwhile I want to do my research so that I make sure that I discuss the correct treatment, breast size & shape.

I asked to remain the same size 34B however my implants are more like a 34C. ( not a major proplem )

I am slim and do not have extra body fat for reconstruction so have to go for Saline or Silicon.

Can ANYONE ADVISE me who has had a single or bi lateral mastectomy using saline or silicon implants  that is happy with their results.

I would like them to look and feel as  realistic as possible and have heard all sorts of horror stories.

My expanders have given me all sorts of problems, they are extremely uncomfortable especially the left one, everything pulls and sags 😞

Thank you Smiley Happy