cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Head all over the place and feeling like BC has taken over my life

53 REPLIES 53

Re: Head all over the place and feeling like BC has taken over my life

Thanks Susan,

I am trying to focus on the results I want rather than on the BC itself and mostly that works, it is only when the letrozole side effects are particularly bad that I'm reminded why I'm taking it...

I feel like BC has been a problem without any attention to it for a very long time. We have to change that, we have to take care of health!

Regards,

Susan - write my research papers

Thanks Jill,

I will take a look as that will be very helpful!!
Thank you!! 😊

Xx
Community Champion

Yes Elaine ,come join us on some of the other threads just for a bit of support .If you look at the hormone therapy section you may find info regarding Letrozole and how people are managing side effects etc .There are people who have been prescribed Letrozole to shrink tumours I think .Best wishes .Jill.

Thank you for your recent responses...

You are so right it is a very emotional thing especially after first diagnosis... It is also my personal approach to most things and illnesses that I have previously overcome largely using unconventional methods when possible...

It is not a new approach for me to choose my way of treating cancer it's how I've always treated illness etc, it's only the cancer that is new to me largely I believe because after I split up with the man I loved last year, I comfort ate my way through the following months so didn't stick to healthy eating, didn't exercise etc....

I am back with him now and he fully supports whatever path I choose including this one...

I guess I have joined the forum and given my views based on what has worked for me in the past and I know has worked for others too, and am used to being on forums with people who are like minded..

So much like the diagnosis itself this forum has been a shock to my system....

I forgot that my views of life and treating diseases with nutrition and exercise are not common place...

Also all of you here have mostly survived cancer having undertaken conventional treatment successfully and I'm not knocking that, just saying it's not for me right now at this point in my life..

We could debate this forever, and never reach agreement...

I feel also that you are all concerned about me and are acting from love rather than fear and I appreciate all your concerns....

I will see if any of the other areas are ones I can join in with too...

I respect also all your views on diet and your individual preferences and tastes...

With regard to healing oneself with the power of the mind, perhaps this article from NewScientist magazine might give you food for thought (pardon the pun)

https://www.newscientist.com/round-up/heal-thyself/

Best loving wishes to all those who have expressed a view and shared their stories...

In the end a lot of things like the power of the mind and diet can't be patented, there is no money in them so most governments and health services rely on drug companies for funding so wont recommend something they don't get funding from....

Elaine Xxx

So sorry winterwolfsoul that you are not feeling supported, its just that I get so frustrated with all the false claims out there and I worry for those who are just starting out on this jurney and are scared and could be duped by claims of cures from diet and other woo. It is your choice and I do wish you well x  

Community Champion

Elaine ,if you need support we are here.We all know how awful and overwhelming it is when you are first diagnosed and we are all faced with difficult choices .Maybe just come and join us on some or the other threads for a chat and a bit of emotional support .We all have different views and have followed different paths but we are all are going through/ have been through a horrible ,scary time .Im thinking that now maybe we should leave this discussion respect Elaine's views and let her update us as to how she gets on and welcome her if she choses to come and have a chat on the other support threads.Jill

Awww bless you , its a very emotionaly time, i just wish i could copy the  link to you, but i doesnt work for me, but im sure you will find it, her first post is called, to have the op or try alternative.

Hope this helps you find it.

Big hugs to you

Debbiex

Thanks again Debbie, I am registering there now and I will start reading her blog after breakfast!

Really appreciate you sharing that with me! 😊

Close to tears at this point....

Xxx

Chloecat45 to be more precise, i think it would a good read for you, her blog starts from 2012, i have read it but havent caught up with it since may,

Hope this may be of some help to you.

Debbie xx

Thanks Debbie, I will have a look at that today!! 😊

Xx

Thanks Debbie,

I will take a look at their site, in the end Cancer is big business and yes indeed people are making money from it, ie most of the drug companies!!

I guess we will have to agree to disagree, as for my original post there was me thinking this was a support group for people with breast cancer, and a free democratic place of free speech! I'm not trying to convince anyone that they have made the wrong choice about their treatment. I was just asking if anyone on here had taken the same course of action as I am..

I am not going to comment further at this stage on my choices..

I will recap in 3 months or so after my check up, and yes I am taking Letrozole also and possibly any initial reduction might be down to the drug alone, however my intention assuming after 6 months it is s reduced in size, I will do a further 6 months just on diet alone to see how much difference it might make.

At the end of the day we all want the same thing I'm guessing, which is to beat cancer!

I am also following the guidance of a British Nutrionist Hilda Gkickman which has been recommended by a British Oncologist!!! Called "Take breast cancer off your menu" this book has been extensively researched and whilst it is recommended for prevention and after treatment to stop it returning I am following the advice in it alongside taking letrozole....

Thank you for all your comments and advice and also support in some cases.....

Take care

Elaine Xx

Chloecat is her name on there

Hi winter i would just like to, add, i would hate to think you may feel you are being ganged up on, as i really dont want you to thin that, lot of strong opinions and respect and concerns of the path you wish yo take. That being said it is your choice and you will choose what suits you, and so you should.

I dont know if any other ladys can help me on this one, but on the mcmillian site there is a blog done by a lady called chloe, i came across it oneday when some body posted a link for it, the lady has been blogging for about 5 years, and still doing so now, she refused any treatment and is takung about 25 supplements and diet, maybe something you may like to read, i just wish i could remember her full name.

All the best to you

Debbie xx

It really saddens me that such rubbish is allowed to be published, dear God I wish it was all true but if it were that simple cancer would be wiped out!! We've all been down the conventional treatment route so know it actually works , I lived a healthy life with a good diet but still got cancer! I will never be convinced we can fight this evil by food alone , if only! Xx

My sister was 78 when she was diagnosed.  She refused treatment not because she had alternative treatments in mind.  She was not married, no children, no family nearby so to speak ( she lived and worked in Canada).  She lived a full life, and felt it was time to let nature take its course....she survived for 5 years, without any form of treatment, continued to live as she always did, ate and drank whatever she wanted. 

She was was one of those who did not let family or friends get too close.....a very independent woman.

love and best wishes to all you lovely ladies xxx

Re the link, a quote from Wikipedia regarding the author:

McDougall Plan reception

His eponymous 1983 diet book, The McDougall Plan, has been categorized as a fad diet with possible disadvantages including a boring food choice, flatulence and the risk of feeling hungry. Reviewing McDougall's book, The McDougall Program for Maximum Weight Loss, nutritionist Frederick J. Stare and epidemiologist Elizabeth Whelan criticized its restrictive regime and "poor advice", concluding that the diet's concepts were "extreme and out of keeping with nutritional reality".

Hi

I wasnt going to comment further as I really didnt want to make you feel you are being ganged up on (as others have mentioned).  But a few points for you to consider:  (1)  There are a lot of women on this site, some young with young families who are fighting this disease - please consider what you are posting for their sake.   (2)  You have already said you are going to take Letrozole which is a drug, which therefore any change in your molecurlar cells cannot be attributed to diet.   (3) No one can make themselves have cancer or cure themselves of cancer by having positive or negative thinking   (4)  Honestly believe me, if this worked health services in the world would be making sure anyone with cancer adopted these diets.  (5)  There has been one very good piece of research that definitely shows that exercise helps with regard to reducing the chances of re-currance.

Im not going to say any more - but again want to stress, please look after yourself, please dont make assumptions about modern techniques as things have moved on a lot.  Do come back and let us know how you get on, you will be supported.  Good luck.

Oh dear 😔 I'm sorry but your link has no scientific evidence at all that diet can cure BC. Dr Mcdougall has made his money from veganism and claims that his way can cure all kinds of illnesses. Utter rubbish. Nutrition does play a big part in heallth but it will not cure or stop BC. One of the studies in your link was from 1984 !! And the others are just about nutrition after treatment that MAY help to prevent recurrence. So many charlatans on the internet targeting the vulnerable to make a profit.
Community Champion

There is evidence re diet ,supplements and lifestyle in terms of re-occurrence and also in prevention .Canceractive is quite a good website to look at in terms of weighing up the pros and cons of various approaches .Good luck Elaine -let us know how you get on and maybe some ladies will feedback if they have taken a similar route .Hope you don't feel " ganged up on" in any way but as you can see your views have caused a lot of interest and people just want the best for you .It is a very personal choice how you approach dealing with a cancer diagnosis .Jill.

I did take a look, it seems american, seems to me someone is trying to make money , like alot of diets out there, and the free diet is basically just eating veg, i like my meat, they dont recommend taking vitimin d suppliments, and from many ladys posts ive read, i think i lot of us i prescribed them, i know i am along with calcium, definatley if your on letrozole as it can cause austiporosis, sorry cant spell lol, but thanks for sharing.

Good luck x

Tired now, should read diet!! 😊 not dirt....

This briefly has lots of examples all checkable relating to dirt being able to reverse cancer....

https://www.forksoverknives.com/science-says-about-diet-and-cancer/#gs.DvlRik8

Ladies,

Thank you all for your concern and comments.. I have not made my decision without a lot of consideration and research and as previously stated should things not work out as I am hoping then I will reconsider surgery as an option but right now I am using my intuition and don't want surgery at this stage, not just from fear of the surgery or recovery but because I don't believe it is necessary right now....

If I had not found the lump in the first place nor acted by reporting my concerns over it, I would still be totally blissfully ignorant and we would not be having this discussion....

Please be aware I totally respect all of you for choosing the treatment you have each undertaken and I also really appreciate hearing about your experiences.....

However at this point I am still convinced that nutrition is the way forward and tomorrow when I have a bit more time I will add some links to scientific research confirming my convictions...

Just because it is something the majority do and find it to work for them does not always mean the majority are right...

This is about personal choice about what I feel is best for me as a person not just flesh and bones...

Miracles abound through history of people succeeding in healing themselves from various diseases after Drs have sent them home to die... I appreciate that is not the case with me, but am at this point in time not having surgery... That could change in 6 months depending on my scan at that time......

We are each unique individuals with unique perspectives and understanding of how we as human beings can heal in miraculous ways if we put our minds to it...

My head is no longer all over the place, I am clear thinking so don't need any more well meaning, lovely, caring ladies trying to pursuade me to have surgery etc when I don't believe it is necessary...

The experts can be wrong sometimes, as I know from personal experience...

I put my post on here fully expecting that most people would not understand my reasoning but that possibly there might be one or 2 people who might have already tried this route...

Wishing you all the very best of health in your futures......

Time will tell.....

Elaine Xx

Hello Elaine.
I see from your last reply you are probably not reading anymore. However, just in case you are, i just wanted to put my perspective on things.
In a former life I was a theatre nurse. I changed my career as I have a severely disabled son so was a stay at home mum for 17 years and now work in a primary school to fit in with his college/ appointments etc.
The 2 previous operations you have had do have very painful recoveries. This is partly due to the type of surgery and partly to the position in your body of the problem. However surgery for your tumour is extremely unlikely to cause pain after the first day. Even then it is likely to be soreness you experience rather than pain.
I absolutely echo what others have said. If your body, with the help of hormonal treatment, could cure your cancer then all of us hormone receptive ladies would be offered that choice. Treatment for cancer is mind blowingly expensive so would not be offered if there were alternatives. The first thing most if us are told us do not Google. The more extensively you do the more you will find that isn't credible.
If you wish to see papers written on your choices your oncologist will have access to properly controlled trials and results, if there are any.
We are all terrified at the start of this journey. Please, please listen to your medical team and ask for more appointments if necessary to make sure you are fully armed.
Good luck in whatever you choose. Xx

Hiya at the end of the day it is your choice but please base your choice on facts. It is so easy to believe what you want to be true. Who are these "scientists" who say breast cancer can be cured by diet? I don't belive this at all. I know of a lady who believed she could cure her BC by diet, exercise and other so called cures from very convincing individuals, sadly she recently died. I'm sorry if this comes across as harsh or blunt but I get quite upset by such claims. Surgery and Radiotherapy are still the first and best line of treatment for primary BC and side effects maybe a bit sore and a little tired for a short time from Rads . Hormone therapy such as letrozole can have some, not so nice, long term side effects. Grade 2 is not slow growing it's intermediate. Stage 1 would probably mean you would not need chemo. I wish you all the best xx

Hi

Sorry dont want to bombard as this is such a personal thing, but just for the avoidance of doubt, I shold have said Letrozole is proven to work very well in preventing re-currance - again after surgery.

And also just want to say - yes I was terrified of surgery but the care and aneasthetics have moved on so much I would never have believed how I got through it.

Anyhow we all have to live with what is best for us, I just worry that there are some terrible reports out there on the net.....

Thankyou Ann, 

When i walked out to meet my hubby when discharged, he knows what a state i get in, he was like, omg you look so good, i didnt expect you to look so well, i laughed and felt very proud then, think i was on a high, Yayyyy this bits over lol.

Debbie xx

Community Champion

Hi Debbie,

Well, you faced your fears & dealt with it, that's brave, not a 'whoosh' at all. 

ann x

Hi winterwolf,

What a very interesting thread,  i totally respect you and i think you are a very brave lady, i can totally understand your feelings of not wanting surgery, i am the biggest woosh in the world, i have to be sedated yo go to the dentist, and doctors see me if its really nescessary, i put cancer smears of for 7 years because they hurt me when they are done so i just avoided them, when i finally had one i had cervical cancer, this is the kind of woosh i am, all was treated and all good. Now i have breast cancer, the surgery frightened me to death,  but i went through with it, for me i have to have that lump out and get a full diagnose of it, i was told after surgery it could actually be bigger than scan suggests, more advanced, they could find more, and they wouldnt no if it was in lymph nodes untill snb, i need all these answer for me or i just would never sleep, so in my eyes your a very brave lady.

I have been on letrozole for 3 months, to maintain my tumour while i had holiday, the surgeon did say it had made it very soft, but she said it would never be a cure, purely was to maintain it, so i do think its pretty amazing stuff. I have had my op get my further treatment plan next wednesday, and i would just like to say i have saled through recovery so far, and pain has been next to minimum.  

I wish you all the very best with your treatment thst you decide,  please let us know how you get on .

Debbie x

Hi Elaine,

i don't often comment on here now as my life has moved on since my diagnosis but having read this thread I felt I had to say something. To cut a long story short I had grade 2 bilateral bc with 1 affected lymph node and a small tumour in my chest wall. I ended up having two separate mastectomies, node clearance, chemo, rads and tamoxifen and last week I had breast reconstruction from my stomach. Every step of the way I was completely and absolutely petrified about what lay ahead and I thought I could not do any of it. I wanted to run away from it all and bury my head in the sand. Of course I couldn't and I just had to keep plodding through the swamp of treatment and surgery. HOWEVER I can categorically say that none of it was ever as bad as the thought of it beforehand including chemo. The fear can cloud your judgement and stepping through those hospital doors is so hard. You won't have to go through what I did and I totally respect you opinion but please think very carefully about what you are doing. I'm in a great place right now nearly two years post diagnosis, and I'm a better stronger person as a result of bc and treatment. Of course if I could turn back the clock I wish it had never happened. 

Trust your medical team. There's no doubt diet can help but please think very cafe fully before you refuse treatment and let it be a rational decision and not the fear that stops you.

I wish you all the best

with love,

claire xxx

Community Champion

Hi

I must agree with the others. I respect your decision but do not think dismissing surgery is a good idea.

Having surgery is traumatic, I know, but it is very doable. After a few days, the discomfort has eased, and within 2 weeks, you're back to normal. Yes, the hormone therapy could help, but equally the lump may grow and then surgery would be more invasive.

Be guided by your consultant. After all, they are the experts.

Best of luck with it all.

Sue x

Hi Winter

Good for you for reading responses.  some of the research/reports out there are extremely dubious, not evidence based and not proven. 

You have chosen to use Letrozole which is a drug, and this is proven to be very effective - so that sounds a good a way forward as any.

I do want to put out there though very strongly, just for any other person casually viewing this open forum.  The body absolutely cannot cure cancer of itself, as I said, if it could the NHS would have adopted that treatment plan a long time ago.

Good luck - Letrozole is proven to work well.

Community Champion

I wish you well with it Elaine, but I cannot agree with your approach.
It is such a shock when first diagnosed. so please keep an open mind.
Take care
Community Champion

Good luck let us know how you get on .I think a lot of us would agree with your thoughts on nutrition ,lifestyle etc re preventing the-occurrence and have decided to use these things rather than hormone therapies /radiotherapy just not for treating a primary cancer initially .Take a bit of time to think things over as you say you are probably in shock .All the best .Jill.

Sorry to Jill also, one of my best friends is Gill...

That should be Ruth... Predicted text sorry!!!!

Patricia, Ruthin, Gill and Ann,

Thank you all for your input on this topic, I have read all your comments and do understand why you all think what you do, but there are scientists out there who have proven nutrition can beat cancer, you just need to look in the right places and also hear from living breathing cancer survivors who have taken the same route as I am... I am guessing there are few of those if any on this forum though....

There are many factors why we get cancer and equally so in my opinion, many solutions also...

Personally I believe fear is one of the reasons people often opt for surgery because they fear cancer, I don't have that fear, not yet and maybe I am naive to be that way, I have seen loved ones dying painful not from the cancer but from conventional treatments....

I will leave it there but check back here in 3 months after my first check up, and again in 6 months after my scan......

Thanks to everyone who commented on this post I do value and appreciate all your comments... I will take into account what you have gone through yourselves...

Possibly this is all still sinking in and my feelings could be influenced by the shock caused by going from living a normal life to being diagnosed with cancer in a few short weeks..

However my intuition plays a big part as does my belief that we can achieve anything if we have hope, courage and seen evidence of others doing the same....

Time will tell......

Thanks again ladies wishing you all the best health possible.. Xx
Community Champion

When it comes down to it Elaine, conventional treatmemt is the best we've got. There is a lot of cancer 'woo' out there, with claims made for things, including diet, for which there is only unreliable & often anecdotal evidence.
Fortunately, yours is slow growing, so there might be a while before it causes further problems, however, cancer can be an agressive disease & there is no evidence diet can treat it.
Do take care
ann x
Community Champion

Very interesting debate.Winter good luck with whatever you chose .I would just like to add that the hormone tablets have their own ( sometimes significant ) side effects for some ladies. If it is your fear of surgery that is stopping you from having the tumour removed may be worth looking into ways of addressing that too.Jill.
Community Champion

Hello Elaine,

Hope you don't mind me adding my thoughts to the mix. I am very much of the same view as Ann, Jo and Helena. My treatement was slightly more complicated and I did have chemo but 18 months later I'm here, happy and enjoying life. I would actually say I enjoy life more because I know how precious it is. I certainly don't sweat the small stuff anymore.

As some of the others have said, the chance of chemo is pretty remote with a diagnosis like yours. As for surgery, I too was terrified as had not had any before but it turned out to be so much less traumatic than I imagined. As for pain, well the drugs they give you are marvellous and I've seen lots of people here say that after a lumpectomy they just got by with over the counter pain killers. 

It sounds to me like you are someone who obviously lives a healthy lifestyle and this will put you in a good place to cope with any treatment you decide to have. Starting from a healthy base puts you at a real advantage. 

To sum up, please don't disregard evidence based conventional treatment. It has helped so many of us here and around the world. 

Whatever you do, I wish you much luck. Let us know how you get on.

Ruth xx

Oops sorry "perceptions " iPad again

Hi winterwolfsoul

interesting post.  Like the others I don't know of anyone who has made your choice.  I am sure most of us have done masses of research, I know I have.  My understanding is that breast cancers of our type grow very slowly, so it would be interesting if there was any change at 6 months.  I also did bags of research re, diet etc and my conclusion is the most evidence based effective weapon is regular exercise, although that study has only been proven after removal of the tumour  and deals with re-currence.  As others have said you would be unlikely to need chemo, and letrozole does have side effects, although manageable.

i did want to comment on your fears about how people will view you.  What I have found is when you first have a diagnosis I had all kinds of pre-conceived mis-conceptions, all of which Were wrong.  The type of BC we have is highly treatable, my hospital uses the term 'using curative treatment".  No one treated me any different at work or any where else, I outlined what the issue was and got on with it,  Like you I was terrified of an operation - and I had not had any operations,  but I found the team to be kind, caring and exemplary in my treatment - again I had pre-conceived conceptions.   Most people who know me don't even know I have had BC, two operations and radiotherapy.   my life is completely back to normal, and I live without fear of this disease now, as I know I have had the best treatment possible and have made some life style changes for my general health.  Of course it is entirely up to you, but as already mentioned BC comes in all shapes and sizes, and for some ladies your approach really isn't an option as the body does not self heal cancer, if it did the NHS would save a lot of money - sorry  if that sounds harsh - but of course entirely respect your opinion.

Hope it all goes ok for you, there is lots of info about letrozole on this site.

Dear Helena,

Thank you so much for sharing your story,

I remember Mr Blobby too!!

I am really pleased that the choices you made worked out well for you and especially with so many other health issues going on with your and your partner...

Yes, fear does play a part in my decision not to have surgery but not of the surgery itself rather the after care and pain etc... However I just feel so strongly about this and want to try the nutritional approach first and feel that I am grateful to be able to have that choice as had the cancer been fast growing or bigger or looked like it was about to spread then I might have gone for the surgery first.. I have read elsewhere on this forum that some women have taken the hormone treatment to shrink the cancer to a smaller size prior to surgery so should mine shrink in that way then in 3 to 6 months I might change my mind about the surgery and have it done...

But right now, I am of the mind that I want to use nutrition to fight the cancer alongside the hormone treatment to give my body the best chance with minimal pain and disruption and surgery which I know would be a huge shock to my entire system..

I do appreciate your consideration of my feelings and choices though..

Thank you again...

Elaine Xx

Hi Cathy,

Yes I spent most of yesterday researching the drug they are offering me, it could have side effects and there are a lot of them but they might not effect me and I won't know unless I try, which gives me a double edged sword to take on the cancer cells with.

My partner fully supports my actions and he has extensively researched nutritional based treatments for cancer over several years..

I just feel it is for me, the best approach and if in 6 months time it has not worked how I hope it will based on multiple sources of evidence showing nutrition can beat cancer, then surgery will be seriously considered by me..

I know many women might disagree with me but it is something I feel strongly about....

Time will tell....

Elaine x
Community Champion

Winterwolfsoul

First of all I would like to say that everyone is entitled to their own decision with regard to  their treatment of bc as we are all individuals. No one should ever judge you for what your decision is as they do not know how they will react were they unfortunate enough to be diagnosed with it.

However I would like to tell you my story as a contrast.  I was diagnosed with grade 1, tubular bc, 17mm, ER+.,  I went through two lots of biopsies because the the first set came back inconclusive and they did not want to send me away for three years without being sure so I had a second set done.

They also told me that it was early stage, they did not think it had gone into the lymph nodes but would not be able to confirm it until I had my op and the checked the biopsies they took from that, chemo was a "possible" on my treatment plan but only if the diagnosis changed when the results came back from my op, they did not..  I had the op in Oct last year, I called it Mr Blobby (as sign of my age and the era of Noel Edmunds) and I wanted him out of my body.

I was fortunate in that they achieved clear margins around the tumour and it had not spread into my lymph nodes so I went on to have radiotherapy and am on hormone tablets for the next 5 years to prevent a recurrence.  For my the worst side effect of the rads was that my life was controlled by that one appointment every day for four weeks, but that is a distant memory now.

When I went back to see my oncologist in March he confirmed the same as my consultant that it was a slow growing cancer,which i had had for around 7-12 months, fortunately picked up by the routine mammogram, which I had almost cancelled because I was too busy!!.  He also told me I was cancer free and the rads I had had was the belts and braces of the whole treatment along with the hormone treatment

I am back to my normal like, but yes I agree it is a different "normal" and there has been a lot of adjustment mentally that I have been going through, especially as I have a partner with MS and our live has totally changed in the last two years.  I was angry, on many occasions thought why me, but then thought well why not me, I have fought so much over my 59 years with the condition I was born with that I was determined to not let this beat me.

Yes we all make some lifestyle changes, but my diet etc was not bad before I was diagnosed so I just carry on with eating the same foods, I am not going to give up the food that I enjoy, because life is too short to worry about all the things they say in the press that you should do or not do.

I do not regret the decision I have made because to me the only way I would have been happy was to have the lump removed, but would just say, be totally clear on the reasons why you do not want to have the lump removed and that you are making it for the right reasons for you, not as a result of any fear that you may have, which we all know what that is like

I am sending you best wishes for whatever decision you make.

Helena xx

Thanks Jo,

As I have mentioned in my previous replies to other posters, I just feel surgery has a risk of infection and I consider it an invasive treatment....

Should my cancer not respond to the hormone therapy and my own attempts at stopping and hopefully reversing it's growth, since it grew from nothing, like a weed in the garden, I'm sure if starved of what it needs to grow, it could shrink and die..

And It is not causing me any pain or other problems and not spread to the lymph nodes according to tests they have already done..

However if any of the above changes and at my 3 or 6 month checks it is seen to be getting bigger I will then consider surgery....

I appreciate your thoughts and views and did expect that there would be few people here that would take the route I am taking....

We each have to consider what we feel is the best option for us as individuals....

Maybe in 6 months when I get another scan to see the results my experience could help others who are considering the same path...

Take care

Elaine xx

Elaine,

Have you investigated the side effects of the hormone treatment? 

You seem to have your plan well in hand. Someone on one of these boards mentioned a Valter Longo, who has ideas regarding diet - I haven't investigated it fully yet.  But at the moment it's kind of like locking the stable door after the horse has bolted.  I hope it works for you, and if you find anyone else who has refused any of the treatments, let me know!!!

Cathy

Hi Ann,

Thanks for your reply and thoughts also..

I am petrified if hospitals and only had surgery twice, once under a local for a ingrown toenail op and the pain following the operation was the worse pain I've ever had in my life...

The second time was on my sinus and I was scared into having that as they found something that looked like a rumour in my sinus cavity but which turned out to be an infected tissue mass, since then I have had me problems with my sinus than I had before the op.

I bleed easily and being ultra sensitive have a very low pain threshold.....

I struggle with the sight of blood also so fear not coping with the aftermath much like I struggled after the toenail op...

Since the hormone treatment could shrink the mass to virtually zero then I don't see the need to be cut open, had it been larger and higher risk of spreading I might have considered it more...

Will keep everyone updated....

Best wishes

Elaine

Hi winter, I also had a grade 1 slow growing tumour and my treatment was minimal compared to others, lump removed, radiotherapy which is painless and only takes a few minutes , and now on Tamoxifen for 10 years and in all honesty it's the medication that has caused the most side effects and gives me the least % protection of all of it! 

No way could I have left cancer inside of me and refused the treatment offered as it gave me the best chance of long term survival and that's what we all want after all! You wouldn't have Chemo for a grade 1 cancer unless it had spread to your nodes which isn't likely so your path would  be straight forward with a minimal % chance of reacurrance

I respect your right to do as you please but I neither understand or agree with it, so many ladies here would love to be in our position of being able to have such a good prognosis with minimal treatment but their cancer has other ideas sadly , I wish you well with whatever you choose to do and hope it all works out well for you xx Jo