Head first into a nightmare

Hi all
Sunday morning. Should be a normal day, but I guess this is a new reality. I first posted a couple of weeks ago, hoping then that my ‘lump’ may be nothing but that wasn’t to be. Things have moved really fast. My GP made reffered me straight to the BC clinic and the cancer was comfirmed there and then. I saw the specalist on Friday and he confirmed the diagnosis. The Cancer is in the Breast and lymph nodes and I will be having a full masectomy and node clearance on the 30th of this month. Just as everyone said the waiting is the hardest part. I wan’t the damm thing out NOW. This will mean less than a month from finding the lump to getting rid of it. Which, I think, from reading how long others have had to wait is pretty amazing. The specalist told me all my bloodwork has come back clear which he said is ‘reassuring’ and I am to have my full body scan on Tuesday with the results on Friday so another week of waiting. Naturally I am still terrified that the Cancer will be found somewhere else. He said that he won’t know the rest of the treatment plan untill after the operation. Have you been told that?
I wondered if anyone else is at this stage? How they are coping with the fear and dread of what they might be told ect? Is anyone imagining every little ache and pain is something sinister? What to do when panic overtakes you, not just about the illness but everything in between.
My husband has been strong and supportive, but we don’t have much family {no kids) and he has had two breakdowns since he was made redundant so life is difficult enough for him to cope with as it is. We lost our house four years ago to the day and had only just started to get back on our feet. He has no one to talk to as he feel such a faliure for being unemployed and I fear for him as well. How are your partners coping?
Thanks everyone. I wish you all well. If your as scared as I am I’m holding you hand. Please forgive the spelling mistakes etc. xxxxxxxxxx

Hiya lexxie,

Hope everything works out as well as possible for you in the next couple of weeks, we’re “stuck” in the same boat at moment but a little further along, The mx and lnc done 4 weeks ago on friday just gone, Sue doing brilliantly apart from this waiting which has got us terrified too, 2nd scan tomorrow to see if it’s gone to the next stage :confused: , then we see the oncologist on Wed, hopefully they can give us the FINAL results (fingers & everything else crossed) after a few weeks of uncertainty then hopefully we can sort out a treatment plan and take it/beat it from there.

Just make sure you try and reassure one another as much as possible as whatever happens, i’m going to make sure it’s a joint effort in our house and hopefully you can do the same.

Regards
Les

Thank’s Les
Glad to hear Sue is doing well. Fingers crossed. At least us two ladies have wonderful and supportive husbands. Give her my love.
Tina and Mark
xxx

Hi Lexxie,

I am also new to this forum. I agree things move very fast - I had it confirmed last Wednesday that I had cancer and going in for lumpectomy and lymph nodes removed this Thursday.
The last few days seem a bit of a blur with a lot of crying and what ifs…
I am going into work tomorrow but its very difficult to hand over a job when you don’t know the timescale involved.
I am really lucky to have a very supportive husband and two wonderful children, but I still feel very alone as I doon’t want to burden things on them. I have read lots of posts on this forum and lets hope that they are all right and things will get better for us all!!
We will all have to keep in touch as our treatment continues.
wishing you well

Julie

Hello, I was dx December 2006 and I remember the strange days in between finding the lump and getting a treatment plan in place. I too was terrified thinking that I had no future…trying to be brave and not let the family see how terrified I really was.Every waking moment I was thinking about breast cancer. I too had a mx within a month then chemo and herceptin. I had a large lump 4.5 cm 4 lymph glands infected and vascular invasion. I can honestly say that whole days go by where I only have a fleeting thought of bc. I would be lying if I said that I don’t have dark thoughts occasionally. I more or less live the same life I had before dx. You too will get where I am. Once treatment gets under the way it is easier trust me, ghastly though it can be. You will feel you are in control a bit more than you are now. I don’t come on here much now but for 2 years this site was my lifeline and I am so glad that it exists. Love to all on this sh**ty journey Eileen

Hi Tina

I’m slightly ahead of you, due to start chemo Thursday but mine has been a very quick journey too.

I recieved my CT scan results two weeks ago and were clear but I absolutely convinced myself it was in my lungs, imagining all sorts of twinges, reading threads it’s seems very common to freak about it spreading but I just kept reminding myself the consultant had said it was highly unlikely.

I’m the main breadwinner in out home, my partner is struggling with a new business so can relate to your worries regarding your husbands anxieties but so far my partner has been stronger than expected, think the need to protect kicks in at times like these.

Sending love & luck for Tuessday and Friday

Lucy xx

Hi Lexxie,

Just wanted to say that things do get better. I was diagnosed on 13th July, had a wide local excision and lymph node clearance on 02nd August and am due to meet my Oncologist this Friday. When I was first diagnosed I was completely traumatised and thought I would feel that way all the way through treatment (I am having chemo, radio and Herceptin for 1 year) but can honestly say that just 7 weeks post op I am feeling very positive about things and have been for quite a while now. Some days even feel quite normal. I do have a 1 year old and a 2 year old though so don’t have much option than to get on with things lol. I had to have a bone scan and a CT scan - the results of which took 3 weeks - very scary time, but thankfully all was clear. I found the waiting time awful but tried not to think about it too much (impossible at times) and I too imagined every little thing to be secondary cancer. I was convinced I had cancer in my bones, liver and lungs!!!
They wont know the rest of the treatment plan until after your op because they have to do tests on the cancer that they have removed so they know what chemo to give you and whether you need Herceptin.
Try to be strong and stay positive as much as possible.
Take care, Becky xxx

Thank you so much everyone. Lots of love to you all. xxx