Highlighted

Re: Healthy Living

How cancer cells fuel their growth
Date:
March 7, 2016
Source:
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Summary:
Amino acids, not sugar, supply most building blocks for tumor cells, scientists have been surprised to find. These findings offer a new way to look at cancer cell metabolism, a field of research that scientists hope will yield new drugs that cut off cancer cells' ability to grow and divide.
Share:
FULL STORY
Cancer cells are notorious for their ability to divide uncontrollably and generate hordes of new tumor cells. Most of the fuel consumed by these rapidly proliferating cells is glucose, a type of sugar.

Highlighted

Just bringing this thread back up for our new ladies that want to try a bit healthier lifestyles.
Pity that McDonalds and chocolate arnt included !!
Highlighted

And this is a useful site if you want to look up the pros and cons of various herbs and supplements:

https://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/treatments/symptom-management/integrative-medicine/herbs

For example, did you know that tumeric should not be taken with certain chemotherapy drugs or with warfarin?

Highlighted

For those of us who can't give up the cake, I've copied and pasted this from the Cancer Rearch website: http://scienceblog.cancerresearchuk.org/2014/03/24/dont-believe-the-hype-10-persistent-cancer-myths-...

"Myth 4: Cancer has a sweet tooth

Another idea we see a kit is that sugar apparently ‘feeds cancer cells’, suggesting that it should be completely banished from a patient’s diet.

This is an unhelpful oversimplification of a highly complex area that we’re only just starting to understand.

‘Sugar’ is a catch-all term. It refers to a range of molecules including simple sugars found in plants, glucose and fructose. The white stuff in the bowl on your table is called sucrose and is made from glucose and fructose stuck together. All sugars are carbohydrates, commonly known as carbs – molecules made from carbon, hydrogen and oxygen.

Carbs – whether from cake or a carrot – get broken down in our digestive system to release glucose and fructose. These get absorbed into the bloodstream to provide energy for us to live.

All our cells, cancerous or not, use glucose for energy. Because cancer cells are usually growing very fast compared with healthy cells, they have a particularly high demand for this fuel. There’s also evidence that they use glucose and produce energy in a different way from healthy cells.

Researchers are working to understand the differences in energy usage in cancers compared with healthy cells, and trying to exploite them to develop better treatments (including the interesting but far from proven drug DCA).

But all this doesn’t mean that sugar from cakes, sweets and other sugary foods specifically feeds cancer cells, as opposed to any other type of carbohydrate. Our body doesn't pick and choose which cells get what fuel. It converts pretty much all the carbs we eat to glucose, fructose and other simple sugars, and they get taken up by tissues when they need energy.

While it’s very sensible to limit sugary foods as part of an overall healthy diet and to avoid putting on weight, that’s a far cry from saying that sugary foods specifically feed cancer cells.

Both the ‘acidic diet’ and ‘sugar feeds cancer’ myths distort sensible dietary advice – of course, nobody is saying that eating a healthy diet doesn’t matter when it comes to cancer. You can read about the scientific evidence on diet and cancer on our website.

But dietary advice must be based on nutritional and scientific fact. When it comes to offering diet tips to reduce cancer risk, research shows that the same boring health eating advice still holds true. Fruit, vegetables, fibre, white meat and fish are good. Too much fat, salt, sugar, red or processed meat and alcohol are less so."

It also links to these articles:

http://scienceblog.cancerresearchuk.org/2011/11/01/what-should-you-eat-while-youre-being-treated-for...

http://junkfoodscience.blogspot.co.uk/2008/03/do-you-fear-sugar-might-cause-cancer.html

Highlighted

Healthy Living

Copied and pasted from Babsy, some great advice on living with cancer healthily.......

Firstly the books that I found to be a real inspiration were: "Radical Remission" by Kelly Turner; "anti-cancer, a new way of life" by David Servan-Shreiber and "mind over Medicine" by Lissa Rankin. There are lots of others and websites that I now follow etc. But these books I found to be inspirational and gave me hope and started me on my journey. I changed my diet to mainly vegetarian (organic) I do still occasionally eat organic chicken, organic omega 3 rich eggs, some fish and seafood. I have a blended veggie drink everyday and a separate fruit blend which I make. Adding super green powder, etc to veggie blend. I don't eat any refined sugar, but if I make goodies to eat I use natural alternatives so I can still have goodies. I try and eat a handful of nuts and seeds every day. I don't eat any form of dairy but again use alternatives. I fortunately love green tea, and try and drink 6 cups ( which is 3 giant mugs in my case) of Japanese Sencha tea. I take 1/4 tsp of tumeric with a pinch of black pepper in a desert spoon of organic extra virgin olive oil, with a drop of agave syrup and then a big glug of water. Don't drink tap water, use Evian water cos it's a alkaline ph and is in non BPA plastic. Take occasional Kelp tablet for iodine and a squirt of vitamin B12 which can sometimes be lacking if you're mainly a veggie. Don't use any chemicals in home either cleaning or personal products and that is scary when you research it!! I had free Reikki sessions via the hospice and have occasional Reflexology when I can afford it. Use visualisation techniques, one to kill the cancer and the other to build my immune system including producing more Natural Killer cells. After using this second visualisation to produce more red blood cells I never needed another blood transfusion and I had had to have them regularly before then. That was after discovering a medical paper where people with anaemia were taught to do this and the majority of them improved significantly.  I try and use meditation to build my immune system but I need to get a lot better at that!! I was fortunate enough to be able to take early retirement as a headteacher which was obviously a stressful but much loved job. I've building up my hobbies and love looking after my new grandson, learning to play the organ, really getting into my art work and transforming my garden back into a much loved space. I did undertake a bicarbonate of soda and brown molasses regime before my last bone scan in December 15 but have not repeated that but I think I will do it again before my next bone scan in September. Just getting into essential oils and use Frankinsence (borallis sacra, there are two different types) and myrrh as a massage oil where the bone mets still are. Sorry to bombard you with all of this and I didn't do all of this straight away but gradually built up things. I did extensive research including reading medical papers etc to make decisions about what I was going to do and I used my intuition to choose what I thought was right with my body.