Heavy lifting after op

Hi just wondering when people started to lift heavy items… by heavy I mean my toddler daughter! It’s 3 and a half weeks since my op of masectomy and immediate recon… I’m healing well and feel ok apart from getting tired easily.

I’ve had lots of help but her dad has left for work now for 6 weeks and don’t want to ask mam to have her every night. I’m so scared incase I mess up my healing. I’ve got a few little scabs but mostly just red scar lines. Has anyone been in this position and done damage at this stage or have u been ok. Totally frustrated not being able to do much for her. Also when did everyone start driving again. I’ve been told 6 weeks for both but I can’t wait that long it’s killing me! Xx

Hi Melia,

It must be really difficult when you have little ones, but I think you will do more damage if you start to lift to early.

Whilst you may feel ok on the outside the inside still needs time to heal :slight_smile: You could have a chat with your breast care nurse and sound them out.

Maybe put something into place for another week and then look again but personally I think it is too early and you dont want to risk it to have problems later :slight_smile:

Hi Melia.
I’ve been picking up my 3 year old grandson and I’m nearly two weeks post op. I’ve been using my left arm as the mastectomy was on the right. I’m not sure whether I should be but it doesn’t feel like I’m putting any pressure on the right side so I just thought listen to my body and if it feels wrong leave it alone and it it feels like a breeze then go for it. I haven’t been doing anything strenuous like hoovering the stairs. And I’m not carrying him around, just picking him up if he falls or needs a cuddle. X