1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello, Anyone from North East about?

1,863 REPLIES 1,863
scoobiesue

Re: Hello, Anyone from North East about?

Sorry just seen your reply. Would love to meet up
kg52

Can anyone help me to find the Facebook group as I am clueless!

kg52

Hi I am from Darlington.  If anyone wants to meet up that would be great.

scoobiesue

Hi,I am from Darlington. Happy to travel to catch up. SSue

jmbrin2

The only one I know about, and I do go sometimes is the Northumberland Cancer Support group which meets at Hexham hospital on Tuesday evenings. They have a website you can look at to see if this suitable for you. 

It was good to hear from someone else in the area so long after my first post. 

Nattyoo

Hi jmbrin,
I live in Hexham, too. Is there a group of people locally who still meet up?
jmbrin2

I hate using Facebook. I would rather meet a person in the flesh!  I live in Hexham if there is anyone who would like to meet, preferably during the daytime.

hawkie

could I ask how you join the facebook page pease?  diagnosed today in newcastle xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi, hope all goes well. To give you some hope, which I know you will need, I am 11 years on and well and BC free.  Went through, several ops, chemo, radiotherapy, several hormonal treatments for 6 years and out the other end.  Mind you it took me to get past 10 years before I really stopped worrying and now I feel great to be getting older (61 this year).  Hope you manage to have hope but don't feel you have to be brave as it is so so hard. From Spottydog, Newcastle.  Btw the hospitals in Newcastle and the doctors, nurses and everyone involved are great but you have to keep questioning them as you are the one who is having the treatment and they are there for you so keep them on their toes.All the best. X

Guest user
Not applicable

Anyone from the Pinteland area?
I found a lump in my breast but didn’t worry, since most of the information in the media tell you that most lumps, in fact 8 out of 10 are benign. Thinking it would just be fatty tissue, I was horrified when the hospital consultant said he was almost sure it was cancer. I had an ultra sound which showed a 38mm mass. They did a needle biopsy and deep core biopsy’s. Within an hour it was confirmed that it was a carcinoma, this was on the 2nd August.
Tell me I am not the only one who thought the world had come to an end.
The seven days wait for the results of the core biopsy’s to confirm which type and how aggressive it was must have been the worst week of my life.
On the 9th of August a second visit to hospital and after a mammogram, the consultant said the results were that the cancer wasn’t aggressive and it hadn’t spread to my lymph nodes, he also said it was hormone receptive. (feeling a little better)
I had three options, 1 - a full mastectomy, 2 - because of the size, he wasn’t sure but thought I might just be suitable for a lumpectomy, or 3 - anti-oestrogen medication - Letrozole to try to shrink the tumour before surgery. After surgery there would be 3 or 4 weeks of radiotherapy and Letrozole tablets for five years.
I opted for option 3, but I am now worried in case the tablets don’t work and it spreads.
I don’t know anyone who has had breast cancer so can’t ask about their experiences.
I have never had an op before and I am really frightened. I also have COPD and I am on permanent steroids.
I have read all the information which has made it worse, reading about dye, wire, drains, radiotherapy, heart damage.
Can someone who has been through this reassure me.
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all, many thanks for the replies - sorry I have not got back before now. I had my op on 2 weeks ago and went for results on Wednesday. Unfortunatley they found a further 4 cancers within the tissue/lump taken out so I now have to have a mastectomy - on 11 June. Anyone else been through both operations? thanks in advance Patx.
kimmie

Hi Pat

Another girl from the group here. Like marli said little steps and one day at a time. If you have any questions feel free to askl or join our group on fb if you like, all the girls go on there.

Im 39 diagnosed in 2010 have had mastectomy at the rvi, chemo, radiotherapy and herceptin at the freeman. I finished my treatment about 10 wks ago.

Keep strong hun you can do this.

Kim xx

moorcow

Hey Pat, if you want to ask any specific questions about what to expect you can check out my personal info and if I had anything similar to what you are going to I'd be happy to say how it was for me. Had both my ops at the RVI and they couldn't have been nicer - fabulous care. Message me if you like - but I don't come on here everyday so I may not get it for a while,
Nicola

marli

Hi Pat - just found your post. I am almost 3 years from diagnosis and now post on the Facebook group mentioned by Nicola. This early few weeks is very scary and as silver says don't google because it does scare you. Try to deal with one step at a time. Have asked the ladies from Newcastle to try to get in touch because they will know more about your hospitals etc.(I received my treatment at Darlington).This site is amine of information and if you can find a thread where ladies are starting the same stage of treatment as yourself you will find that really helpful. If you are interested in joining all us North east Breast Buddies feel free to send me a personal message and we can try to get you on (I am fairly useless at all this technology!!) Hope you are bearing up and try to keep calm. Best wishes Marli xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Nicola and Silver, many thanks for replying. I feel ok considering but obviously still scared. It's good to hear from people who have already been through the same type of treatment. Just wish the op was over and done with and knew more of what to expect! Looking forward to keeping in touch. Thanks again. Patxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hiya scaredycat, hope yesterday went well. I went through the same in June last year. Moorcow said it all re treatment plan I never found this link till just the other month. I found this site good for advice. others going though the same as us and there support and advice is great. Stick to this site don't google and read info they give you and listen to the nurses they know best. Mine is brilliant. I am still having treatment and go into the hosp every 3 weeks.
You can always message me if you want. Keep strong and keep your family and friends close.
Take care love silver xxx

moorcow

Hi Scaredycat, welcome, but sorry you had to join us. As you can see from messages further back on this thread the majority of lasses from the north east are now on a facebook group...I never quite made the transfer myself, but I know from earlier posts how lovely they all are and what great support they give everyone so do PM one of them, to get you access if you do facebook. Others of us just pop on here from time to time.
I had my WLE over two years ago now, I think the begining is tricky cos each time you go to the hosp you are getting either a new test or results - as soon as you have got your full diagnosis and treatment plan things seem to settle a bit.
Very best of luck today and for your op, Nicola

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi All, I am from Newcastle and have recently been diagnosed with BC. I am going for my pre admission assessment today and my WLE and SLN biopsy next week. Would love to hear from anyone who has had similar. xx

Guest user
Not applicable

So sorry to here you have to go there again! Hope the chemo is gonIng well. My onc says belt and braces!
Thanks for posting. Silver xxx

darlojo

Hi Silver (and all you NEBB's), yes, some of us are still on this thread. I've just been re-diagnosed with a 33mm TNBC 4 months after finishing my treatment in Sept last year so am just about to start chemo again(!) next Monday. Had mx 18 days ago and 12 nodes taken and all clear so now having 4 x Tax just "as an insurance" as my onc calls it. Feel free to chat any time.

Jo x

Midge

Hi Silver

Yes. I still pop on here to read how people are doing, but most of the group now communicate on Facebook as we have a closed group on there. Please pm if you want to join. We still meet up regularly, in fact a bunch of us met yesterday in Darlo for cake.

If you have any questions are just want to chat you can post on here and I am sure people will see it, it might just take a little while longer than in the past. It would be nice if this thread was a bit more active, but as we are mostly finished active treatment we have moved to fb now.

Some new north easterners might like to jump on the thread if they see it popping up.

Debx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello ladies is there anyone about up here ?

Silver

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Tricia

Sorry that you have found yourself on here, I had MX and lymph node clearance in Dec 2010 and just had recon last weds, I had 4 cycles of chemo which finished in March and having herceptin till nxt May I am halfway through this,if you PRIVATE MESSAGE me, i will add you to my friends list and like Marli said we will try and get you on our group, the group is fantastic, all the girls on this thread got me through one of the worst years of my life and we are all an AMAZING bunch of girls, we support each other as we have all been there, we meet up regularly and if you havent had your 1st chemo yet I wish you well, prepare for the worst and if it isnt that bad then its a bonus, get plenty of rest, hope to hear from you soon.

Debs x

marli

Hi Tricia - sorry to hear that you hav had to join us. I am now 2years since dx but find these ladies a fab bunch of people who offer the most amazing support. You need to be invited to join the group so if you send me a personal message with your full mae I will put in the request. (Well I will try as I am not the most technical of people) Take care. Marli

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi,
I have recently had an Mx, lymph node clearance and reconstruction. I am being treated by surgeon based in Gateshead but start chemo at Durham next week. Is there anyone around in my area, or could I have details of your facebook thread from some one please?

darlojo

Hi Diane,

have you managed to join us on facebook as yet? would love you to join our group, we are a small group from the North East who chat and meet up when we can, I'm not too clever with computers but if you need assistance we'll get one of the girls to join you - see you soon

Jo x

enaid46

hi lulu
girls created a FB thing for me so I am now the proud owner of one so that I could join you all. next question ...how do I do that LOL
Diane x

Guest user
Not applicable

Enaid 46, there are other IT delinquents in our midst! Believe you me!A few of them created a profile on FB purely so that they could join the group. It's a lot easier to communicate...and more private! Do you have any teenagers who could show you what to do? Lol
Lulu xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Lovely to see more ladies from the area coming out of the woodwork so to speak. Don't suffer in silence! Via the site I've met many great women, the last being lovely darlojo. It turned out we are neighbours! 5 minutes walk from one another! I always go past her house on the way to the post office. Can you believe it?It's a small small world!
Lulu x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi everyone, only just remembered to come on here after our chat on Monday, cant believe its been so long since I was last here, Ladycare, you have come to the right place for support and I have sent a friend request through to you after seening your post on the breast buddies.

Debs x

Midge

Hi

Rhona if you pm me your name and some way of picking you out on fb I will send a friend request and add you to the group.

Eniad i normally try t.o remember to post on here too if there is a meet up. Margaret was suggesting the 18 th in newcastle but I will let you know if that is a definite.

Take care.

Debx

belfor21

Hi
I'm in Newcastle too,can somebody add me to the facebook group please.
Rhona.x

enaid46

hi everyone
I am in newcastle -not on face book ..a bit of an it delinquent ! would love to meet a local group
x

Guest user
Not applicable

BLIMEY! Was the last time I posted here15th May? EEEEEEK! Where does time go,eh? Welcome ladycare! I did see that your name has been added to the FB thread. I'm so glad you found us! I can't stress highly enough how beneficial it was to share all the anxieties and worries to ladies undergoing the same thing. Lovelier still if these ladies are your neighbours and you can meet them occasionally for a welcome chat and coffee. I met so many great women, thanks to this site. The support I got via the BCC forum has been invaluable. I'm exactly one year one from my first op. I finished chemo at the beginning of January and rads at the end of Feb. I'm now on tamoxifen and duly turned into a nuclear reactor . Lady care, I know how awful it is to wait for results. It's the worst part! Once you know what the score is you can handle it much better, I think. You have to know your enemies before you can fight them, so to speak! I now feel like my old self again ( I went back to work in April ) only more on a high as it's great to feel well again after going through the cancer treatment s**t! I have recently had a scare following my first mammogram which luckily turned out to be nothing. The ladies on this thread all came to the "rescue" with their messages of support. Love them all. They were brill and they helped me through the stress ( and also to celebrate...which was GREAT!). You may feel as if you've entered a long, dark tunnel and there's no end in sight. Please don't despair! You will get through it, you see! And I'm sure you will meet a lot of lovely women on your way. Some of the ones I've met have become great friends. Grit your teeth and look forward. you CAN do it! Good luck for your results on 13th. DO let us know. Take care. Hugs
Lulu xx

Guest user
Not applicable

welcome! hope i meet you soon
stay well xx

kimmie

Hi Sharon
Ive added you as a friend on fb, just hope its you ha ha
Hugs
Kim xxx

marli

Hi Jo - lovely to meet you last night. Just to wish you luck for N0.5
Marilyn xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello Kimmy and Jo thankyou both for your reply it is great to meet others who are in the same place as me or they have been i just had my surgery last thursday so it is all still new to me i am awaiting my results which i will get on the 13th and find out my next step, i have spoken to Marli which was lovely i am so glad that you guys have replied i dont feel so alone now yes i use facebook and will send you my name in a message Kimmy thanks ladies and fingers crossed we are all ok forever xxx

darlojo

Hi Ladycare,

I was recently diagnosed too (back in Feb) and had lump removal and sentinel node biopsy and I am now 2/3rds of the way through chemo (no 5 tomorrow). You're right in what you say nobody who hasn't been through it understands what it is like but believe me you will get through with the help of this site and if you want to join the North East Breast Buddies you are more than welcome. It's scary especially in the beginning as its all the waiting, you seem to be waiting for this result and that result and all the while you just want to know what you are faced with! feel free to private message me if you want to ask anything or even speak over the phone. I'm 42 and live in darlington.

Keep postive (you'll hear it a lot!) and lots of love

Jo x

kimmie

Hi lady Care
Welcome to the thread. I have met some amazing ladies one of which is marli. We dont use this thread as much now as we use facebook more regular. Do you use facebook??
I am 38 and have had a mastectomy and was diagnosed 13th july 2010.
I understand how you feel.

Big hugs
Kim xxx

marli

Hello Ladycare and welcome.Sorry that you have had to join us under these circumstances. Lots of the ladies who posted on this site are over active treatment and now post on Facebook (North East Breast Buddies). I am coming up to 2 years since diagnosed and also had lumpectomy and lymph nodes removed.Please feel free to get in touch by private message if no one at your stage comes along. Don't keep it all to yourself.This site was my saviour and has resulted in meeting some fantastic people. You will be feeling very confused as everything happens so fast but DO keep in touch and if I can help in anyway just ask. I am from near Darlington but had my radiotherapy at James Cook. Hope to hear from you soon. Take care. Marlixx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi i am new to the group 45 and from the Middlesborough area i just had my lumpectomy and lymphnode removal on Thursday of this week so i am still recovering from the op and waiting for my results which i wont get until the 13th of July to find out what will be my next step, i have wonderful friend's and family who have supported me but i dont feel they can understand how i am feeling right now i was only diagnosed 2 week's ago and i feel so alone isolated and confused i hope being here and talking to people or reading there experiences will help me through this difficult time thankyou

Guest user
Not applicable

Just thought I'd post a comment too.. I'm new to the group and looking forward to meeting everyone in a few weeks time. If there are any other newbies it would be great to see you there too 🙂 x

Midge

Hi

I know this thread is a bit quiet, but we haven't gone away, just negotiating g on fb at the mo. There is a trip to York on the 25th June, if anyone fancies meeting there. A few of us are staying overnight and there is the 'odd' hanger on ( yep that's u vickie). Please feel free to join us, the more the merrier.

Hope everyone is well.

Debx

Guest user
Not applicable

hello Katy
I will too xxx

Midge

Hi Katy

I am a teacher too, I know it is tricky. I will look you up.

Debx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all,

I live in Durham and am looking to find local ladies to meet up with. I was diagnosed in July 2010 aged 26. Had my two surgeries and chemo at University Hospital North Durham then radio at Freeman. Now having herceptin at UHND and on tamoxifen for five years. Also awaiting results of genetic testing as I have a family history and was diagnosed so young. I understand that many of you are on facebook and it would be great if you would request me as a friend, but please add a message explaining who you are as I tend not to respond to random requests in case it got me in trouble at work (I am a teacher and there are concerns if any of the parents from my school are friends with us on Facebook - oh the politics!)

Looking forward to hearing from any of you,

Katy Croy x x x

marli

I ordered the large too - it will be a maxi on me! Well done on losing weight, keep it up. I am trying hard to get back to losing as I have come to a bit of a full-stop. Get weighed on a Monday which does not leave any time to get over the weekend indulgences.
Keep well and look forward to seeing you soon. Marli xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Energy levels are fine and dandy! Thanks Marli. It feels so good to feel good again, if you know what I mean. I'm still on a high after finishing chemo.
Can you believe it? Lost another couple of pounds this week thanks to WW so I'm well chuffed me! Was getting quite despondent beforehand. I really look forward to seeing you and the other girls again real soon. And of course look out for me at the Race for life! Got my pink teeshirt in the post yesterday . I ordered the large size as I'm quite tall but somebody was having a laugh somewhere. They sent me one which, I kid you not, would fit TWO people together. I know the percentage of obese people is on the increase but we are talking HUGE here! Oh well! At least you won't see the rolls of fat. He he!
Lulux

marli

Hello Lulu - lovely to hear from you! It is more difficult to keep in touch once back at work isn't it? How are the energy levels? Also have you heard from Cazza and Rebe, if so how are they.
Three friends from work are also going to do the Race for Life (one is 6 months pregnant!!). Really looking forward to seeing you again. Glad hair is on its way, you can always ditch the wig when it is the holidays. Do you get holidays at the Uni? My weight loss has stuck a bit although have got myself a lot more motivated this week and have bought an exercise bike. So live in hopes.
Take care everyone. Marli xx