Hello and uncertainty

Hello, I was diagnosed with breast cancer last week.

I’d had a biopsy of my breast and the news, although difficult, was positive in the sense that the initial staging looks early and the type is relatively slow growing. A mastectomy and oncological therapies are likely but we are now looking at getting more information. I had a biopsy of my lymph nodes (one of which is up) and am having a CT and bone scan this week. I am really concerned about the scans and what they might show. I don’t do uncertainty well at the best of times and I am hypersensitive now to every twinge, shortness of breath etc as I fear it may be indicative of spread. Any wisdom on staying calm and managing the frightening possibilities would be so welcome.

I find the posts I have read immensely helpful. Thank you to you all for being out there. 

Hi and a warm welcome to the forum no body really wants to join! 

The waiting period is the worst part and your anxiety levels will naturally be through the roof, we cope better with fact and once you have results of all tests you will feel so much better ?

You do become hyper aware of your body añd of course will be thinking every twinge must be spread… its highly unlikely to be but that won’t stop our stressed minds imagining  all sorts!  Keeping as busy as possible is the key , it may not make you feel much better but it will help the time pass a bit quicker while you are waiting, sitting rocking in the corner will do you no good no matter how much you may feel you want too! 

A very small % of breast cancers have spread at initial diagnosis so you are in with a very high chance of it not having gone anywhere else, dig deep and get through these next few weeks and leave dealing with with any more issues for if and when you have to! Xx Jo 

Hi AnnaKarenina

You will find amazing support here on this forum. I was diagnosed in July. I’ve had surgery in September and I’m now booked in for radiotherapy in November with 5 years of Letrozole. A CT scan is very non intrusive and the staff I’ve been in contact with throughout have been amazing. My BC was found early (12 mm invasive but with no lymph node Involvement) and it felt incredibly scary at the start. The waiting is the hard part and everyone’s treatment plan varies. This is the best place to find the RIGHT info. One day at a time and ask questions here whenever you want - there are some serious night owls here too if you need company at silly o’clock!

Take care Anita x

Hi Anna, having those scans are scary and I remember before I had mine being very aware of every ache and twinge in my body, even although I knew they’d been there for ages. My consultant did say the scans were only precautionary and they weren’t expecting to find anything. I did still worry and understand how you must be feeling xx

Hey AnnaKarenina

I’m at the Marsden too in Chelsea. You’re in such safe hands there. Amazing team. We’re on this journey with you I promise you every single step.

I’ve only been here for 3 months and I was totally stunned at the response I received from my first post. I’m a very private person with family and friends and a partner that are all so supportive but the ladies here have been there, seen it and some and that’s just so amazing that they all take time to help the new ladies here no matter what they are all going through themselves.

You can almost feel the massive virtual hugs ?

Keep us posted and come along anytime.

Anita xx

Best of luck with your treatment Anna it’s a scary time but as everything becomes clearer it will be easier to cope with. This really is a supportive place we all understand and offer great support on the wobbly days. But we also have some good laughs along the way.

Everyone, you are amazing. I have never been on an internet forum before and I had no idea it could make such a difference. I am beyond grateful to you all for taking the time to reply. Your wisdom, warmth and perspective are gifts and I shall carry them with me as I take my place on that scanner later this afternoon. Thank you.

Thank you everyone. I survived both the CT and bone scans. I am not great with needles, but I realise I am going to have to overcome that particular nonsense given what lies ahead. Now I am going to try to focus on work and life before I return to the oncologist/surgeon next week. I am so grateful to you all for your support. I am reading lots, although trying to pace myself, and slowly adapting to this unwelcome ‘new normal’. It is so good to know that you are all out there. 

Hi Anna well done for getting through today!! You’re doing all the right things as you say getting used to the new ‘’normal’’ You wil have ups and downs - we all do and I know exactly where to come when I’m having a low moment - right here!!

No one chose to come on this journey but you couldn’t be in safer hands.

Have a good evening and be kind to yourself. Anita xx

Hello Anna
Yes I am finding reading & trying to emerse myself in something other than BC overload is really helping! It can be very difficult at times to switch off.
Many friends have advised me to take just one day at a time & I’m finding this very helpful to cope with the ‘new normal’. If I think too far ahead I over worry.
Today I went to my little boy’s Harvest Festival, baked cake & finished reading the book The Invention of Wings. I’m 10 days post second surgery to gain clear margins & lymph node clearance. Doing my arm exercises religiously. Hey today feels like a good day!
Anna I know what you mean about needles. I was so totally rubbish with needles. Now biopsies, several blood tests, blue dye, 2 surgeries & a drain, I have become much braver.
Take care, enjoy putting your feet up with a cuppa & a book as often as you can.
Scooterbek