Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello, i'm a newbie.

27 REPLIES 27
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: Hello, i'm a newbie.

Hi Sam

We are open from 9am to 11pm EVERY day. I am 57 my grandkids are 20 (I really don't look old enough to have a grandson that old!!! or I didn't til this started!! Grandson 11 grandaughter 8 grandson 4 grandson 1 grandaughter 4months. My daughter has 3 boys & my son 1 of each.

I would love to meet up with her, I don't know what is happening to me yet, they said a lumpectomy with a clear margin & sentinel lymph node removed & then they will see what to do.It will be good to talk to someone my age going through it as well.

We have lived here nearly 8 years & we are just over an hour from you.Depending how fast you drive. It is a lovely day out as we are very near the lakes. I will let you have my mobile nearer the time & you can ring to make sure I am around!!

Look forward to meeting up. XX

Guest user
Not applicable

I am at Cinico in Malaga & i have residency & work & pay into the system, I speak Spanish but I'm not fluent. With all this going on I'm not really sure what my name is never mind remembering the Spanish language!!!. What exactly was she diaxed with.

I live in El Chorro in the mountains, we have a lovely restaurant here in El Chorro La Garganta, maybe your mum has heard of it!! Tell her to have a trip out into the mountains!!! Ask for Maggie or my daughter Melanie. Is she getting over it all?

Jane,
Good luck. You will find lots of info and answers to the millions of questions which will pop into your head during the next weeks. It is a difficult time, from reading this post, you seem to be having the right attitude.
Keep it up.
And if you want to shout, rant, screem; this is the right place to do it.

Sophie

Guest user
Not applicable

Thank you for all your comments, you might have seen it on the other thread, but i got my results back today. Grade 3, 24 nodes infected out of 32. Also Herceptin Positive. Been told I am having chemo, radio, herceptin and tamoxerfin. I have been blinded by all the talk today, haven't really taken any of it in.

Not looking forward to any of the treatments, but i know i must go through it.
Really glad I have found this site.

Talk soon

Jan xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Jan

Glad you found your way here, because at least you'll know you are not alone. We are all different and at different stages. I have secondary cancer to the bone with lymph node involvement. You probably don't know anything about any of that yet. We all tend to get to know the things that directly affect us, and not much about what doesn't. I imagine that soon you may find out your ER & PR & HER2 status. This is to do with hormones and oncogenes (blinded by science?)I think probably this site may tell you what they are. Basically the results of these will determine the treatment you are given. I've been bald and actually it really suited me, so prepare to be surprised, we don't all look like uncle fester. I have one son, who's just finished uni and 2 daughters, both of which may start this year. I have been married for ages (can't remember how long)33years maybe. Cancer does affect your marbles and chemotherapy certainly does, so prepare to lose some. The best bit of advice I have for you is that if you are going to have chemotherapy, make your bedroom a wonderfully snuggly place. I decorated mine before hand and I'm glad I did as I was in it an awful lot. Having said that some women sail through it with no problem. Having said that I hope your good looking son is able to cook meals and look after you should the need arise!

Take very good care

Guest user
Not applicable

Jan,
Welcome to the BC forums.You'll find them very useful in the coming months.There's always someone to answer your questions as most of us have been at the same stage at some point.I'm almost a year ahead of you.Dodgy mammogram 27th Feb last year,two lots of surgery,chemotherapy and final radiotherapy today.I've had the baldy napper and now have hair like a little poodle.I'm also the mother of sons(4 of them) and have found them all to be wonderfully supportive.I can't believe the number of folk who said it's a shame I don't have a daughter.Boys are fab! Good luck and Happy Posting!

Guest user
Not applicable

Thankyou to you all for your advice. Rang the breast clinic today re the fluid I have got, but because I had fluid drawn off last Friday, they are reluctant to do it again so soon because of infection. Well I go in for my results this Wednesday, so will have to wait and see what the next step is, and when it starts. Will talk to you all very soon .
Jan xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Jan, sorry you've had to join us, but we're a select group and not everyone is allowed in 🙂

You'll soon get the hang of this forum lark. I had never posted on a forum before December either. I'm 52, married for 32 years and have a son, 29 and daughter, 27. I was dx on 12 Dec with invasive lobular cancer (picked up in a routine mammogram, so it's nice and early) I had to have an MRI, which showed another suspicious area, so had another biopsy, this time using mammogram equipment. I'm now waiting for the result of that this Friday. If the second area is cancer, it's a mastectomy for me. Otherwise a lumpectomy and radiotherapy. Can't decide which is worse - wierd or what?

You soon get to realise that there are literally thousands of women out there in similar circumstances to you and you don't feel alone. Everyone's cancer is slightly different, but we all go through the same fear, sadness and anger. You can vent it all on here and people understand. We can also have a bit of giggle too, as Gennie and Carole have said above.

Good luck for the 21st

Sal x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Jan
I'm also thinking of you & hope that you feel a little better when you wake up. I'm sending you lots of hugs & also little hugs to your boys.
Take care Susan xx

Hi Jan,
Firstly regarding your fluid bulid up I would contact your breast care nurse tomorrow [monday ] and hopefully they can drain this asap...I wouldn't wait until Wednesday.

Anyway.....welcome to the forums, your son has definetly pointed you in the right direction....and how wonderful that he is so supportive.

I was diagnosed in jan 04, 12mm tumour, grade 3, had lumpectomy, chemo' rad's and now tamoxifen.

You and your family will find wonderful support on here.

Take care
Karen x

Guest user
Not applicable

Jan, if you feel uncomfortable phone it in. Ask your bc nurse. Don't suffer. They're there to help.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi justme, yes it was him who put down that he was 'the better looking one', cheeky devil.

shellyface, i am from Plymouth, Devon.

One thing I would like to ask is that I had my drain removed the day after my op, and was home on that day, went back last friday to have 300 mil drained, but it seems to have built up all again, i don't know if I should hang on till wednesday when I am back at the hospital for my results. Feeling very uncomfortable at the moment.

I will try and join the Live Chat on Thursday night, where I will tell you how I got on. If not I will let you know via here.

love Jan x

Guest user
Not applicable

Shell, you sound amazingly strong, and everything I can wish for you I am sending your way. Talk about waiting!

Let us know when you're going in. Hanging by your side every step of the way. How much rad are you doing, do you know yet?

Guest user
Not applicable

HI Jan
I'm a bit of a novice on the computer like you.In fact this is my first attempt at posting and I was dx in May 08.Well the 2nd one actually at adding a comment but I'm not too sure what happened to the last one it sort of just disappeared. Maybe you could try to post without your son as I don't want to be the only one getting it all wrong! Looks like we can learn together.

Wishing you all the best for Wednesday
xx( heres hoping this one works!)

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi there Jan

The waiting is the worst,like everyone tells you.Try not to worry....easyer said than done i know... I am waiting for a mastectomy date. I have had my pre op assessment but no op date as they are trying to get me in asap.....I am having my op done at the Royal Marsden in London as my local surgeons cannot preform the op and extensive surgery i need.I live in Lincolnshire, where do you live???

I was diagnosed in Aug 08 i have had 3 different types of chemo which have all failed. My tumour was 4cm when found and is now about 15cm with 3 nodes containing cancer. I have inflammatory breast cancer and am triple negative (which means chemo is my only treatment as it should get rid of the cancer)!!!!!!!!!!
After my op i will have Rads to try and eradicate any cancer that may of been left behind.As my tumor is so big and the chemo has failed the surgeon cant promise she will be able to get all the cancer out.

I wish you well with your results on Wednesday.

((((hugs))))

Shell.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Jan, and sorry you've had to join us xx but you've come to the right place for help and support.

Like you I had a lump in the armpit (although at first they couldn't find anything in the breast), but it turned out (after MRI scan) that I did have two small cancerous areas in the breast and it had spread to one lymph gland in my armpit. I've had mastectomy, chemotherapy (8 in total), radiotherapy, and am now almost finished my year of Herceptin (which is intravenous). I also take Arimidex tablets.

I was diagnosed 2 years ago, aged 57, and at that time, it seemed such a long haul of treatment, and very scary. But I got through it, and so will you! We are all here to help and support you as much as we can.

Good luck for Wednesday, waiting for results is awful, we've all been there my love, so we know how you feel.

Dee
x

PS I bet son No. 2 put the "better looking one" bit in on purpose! xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Jan

Best of luck for Wednesday. It's been said before, but it really is the waiting that's the worst part.

I was dx on 16 Dec, lumpectomy and sentinal nodes on 24 Dec. Thankfully all clear. I see the oncologist on Tuesday to find out what drugs I'm getting, and will be starting 6 months chemo week after, then 6 weeks rad, and I think it's Tamoxifen for 5 years. I'm 45, no kids, two dogs whom I adore, and trying to work out the ph on my vegetable plot so something might actually grow this year!

You'll soon get the hang of posting and then we'll never get you out of here and off to your appointments! 😄 (that's a smiley that says I'm laughing).

Hi Jan

What a lovely son you have! There was another son on here a day or so ago asking for info for his mum. And a daughter called Vic but I thought he was a boy but she's a girl. So maybe the sons and daughters can get together as well!

As others have said, you'll soon get the hang of it on here. BCC is a fantastic organisation who put on free courses as well as providing shedloads of info.

I was diagnosed late 2005, had chemo, mastectomy, rads, more chemo, more rads. Was given two years. I've had no further treatment (apart from meds) for 18 months or more, walking without a stick, just about pain-free. Feel better now than I have done in years.

I have two sons and three grandchildren. Love them all to bits. Had a beautiful Golden Retriever as well until a few days ago. Decided I'm taking her collar out for a walk tomorrow.

Good luck to us all.
Maureen xx

Guest user
Not applicable

To all who's replied,

thank you for your kind words and support. It's nice to know of others who are going through the same thing.
I will try and be as active on these forums as I (or my son can be). I will let you know how wednesday has gone as soon as I can. After the results I am due to start 18 weeks of chemo, then Radio, then Herceptin.

Thanks again, look forward to posting and sharing stories with you all.

Jan x

Hi Jan,
Sorry to hear that you have joined this group and glad that your son advised you to come to talk to us. Indeed this site has been a life line for me. I was diagnosed a year ago, have been throug a mastectomy, chemotherapy,radiotherapy. I am now on Herceptin. As others said the waiting is one of the thoughest part. Whatever your treatment, you will be able to ask questions on this site and get the help and support of fellow sufferer.
When you become more confident with the forum, you will be able to vent/ ask question and say things that your family, however supportive it may be, will never be able to help you with. I found that discussing some of my issues with my friends and family on one side and other problems with the forum was invaluable.
I also found that after 4 months, I hardly ever came back to the site as I did not feel the need to be there any longer. I only come back about once a month, in order to answer questions and share my experience with newly diagnosed patients. While I know my cancer will never fully go away, I want to be able to give back what others gave to me when I was going through the most difficult experience of my life.
Best of luck on Wednesday.

Sophie

Hi Jan,

I'm about a year ahead of you, mastectomy and sample of lymph nodes taken Dec14th 2007 and results Jan 9th 2008.
Also 53 when diagnosed now 54 and like you 2 sons but 19 and 21, and yes you will soon get the hang of posting, with the help of my sons I have even managed to get on Facebook.

Its not a very nice time is it waiting for results, try not to worry about them too much, although thats easier said than done. All mine were on a Wednesday, and as one lot were inconclusive I had to have another lot done, in total I went along on four Wednesdays for results.
So all the best for yours this week Jan.
Do let us know how you get on.

Mx

Hi Jan

Sorry we meet you in such unpleasant circumstances, but I think you will find that this site is very supportive, informative and also somewhere you can even come to have a bit of a giggle sometimes. It's not all doom and gloom by any means.

I was diagnosed on 17th Dec, had lumpectomy and node clearance on 22 Dec and got the results of that op last Wednesday. I had a 35mm lump in my left breast, invasive ductal carcinoma (and partly DCIS), but they got clear margins on it and my nodes came out clear. I see my oncologist on 26th Jan and will start chemo (8 cycles) early to mid-Feb, then on to 3 weeks of radiotherapy followed by 5 years of tamoxifen. I'm 41, married to Jez for 10 years, and have 3 children aged 9 and 6 (twins).

Look forward to seeing you posting here more and, as Jane says, please do join in on the bury st edmunds thread, the more the merrier!

Good luck with your results on Wednesday, let us know how you get on.

Gennie xx

Hi jan - will be thinking of you tomorrow and will keep an eye out for you posting, mary x

Guest user
Not applicable

hi Jan. so sorry you have had to join us. I too was dx in december. I had a lumpectomy and small amount of lymph nodes removed and go for my results on Monday. Your son is right. You will find this forum full of support and ubderstanding. I regularly post (on the any one from bury st edmonds) and have felt so much better for doing so. Most of the girls that post on that thread are all in same possition as you. Dx in dec, had op, recieved or waiting for results and then we should be moving onto next stage of treatment end Jan begining

Its really hard at first but i'm sure as we move onto each new stage of treatment things will get a little easier. I am finding the waiting the worst but like so many women on here will tell you, one day at a time is the best way to deal with things and not to read to far ahead about treatment as each case is individual and what might make one person feel ill does not mean the next one will. If you knowwhat I mean.

You are welcome to join in on our thread any time

Take care and good luck with your results on wen

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Jan

I am sorry that you have the need for this website but I can assure you that you will definately find support, comfort and understanding here. The ladies on this site are a wealth of knowledge and obviously can relate to everything that you are going through. It is amazing.

I do not have BC but my Mum does. She was dx in Aug 2008. She had two lumps (& a small satalite nodule) in her left breast and a bigger lump in her armpit. All tested positive. She had a masectomy and 26 lymph nodes removed, 6 were infected. She had her 6th chemo last wednesday and has got two more to go, then radiotherapy, then herceptin.

She is doing well so far....she has only stayed in bed for 3 days since the chemo started in Sept!!! She says she feels better if she gets up and puts her 'face on' and her wig.

Unfortunately, she lives in Spain and I live in UK so I am not able to see her anywhere near as much as I would like to. It is really hard being so far away from her.

Your son is right, you will become addicted to this!!!

Fingers crossed for you on Weds.

Sam

Hi there Jan

Welcome to the forums, I have set your first post 'live' so it is my name that appears as last poster, I will post some information to you though about our services which I think you may find helpful.

As well as the help and advice you will receive from the other users you may find BCC's resource pack helpful, it has been designed for those newly diagnosed and contains a lot of helpful information. If you would like a copy just follow this link:-

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk//content.php?page_id=7514

If you feel you need to talk to someone in confidence then please give the helpline a call, the staff here are all either breast care nurses or people who have personal experience of breast care issues. The number to call is 0808 800 6000 the lines open Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm and Saturdays 9am - 2pm.

I hope this is of some help to you Jan, please ask if you think of any further information you need.

Best wishes
Lucy

Guest user
Not applicable

Lucy, it say's you've left a comment but i can't see it.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello, i'm a newbie.

Hello everyone

I don't really understand internet forums, so my son is typing this for me. He has told me that I will soon become addicted to this and then I will be a complete pro.

I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer on the 23rd of December 08, they found 2 lumps in my left breast and one in my armpit. The one in my armpit was inconclusive.

I had a masectomy and lymph nodes clearance on the 7th of January and I am waiting for results on the 21st...this Wednesday, which I am very worried about. The doc told me that the lump in my breast was around 2 cm in length.

My son has forced me to join this forum as he say's the support, comfort and understanding I will receive will make me feel better.

Just a bit more about me: I'm 53, was diagnosed with mild Lupus 20 years ago, I also have fibromaylagia(sp?). I've been married for 33 years in March, have 2 sons, 31 and 27 (the youngest is typing this and is the better looking one 😉

Anyway, I hope I can make some new friends and be able to support them as they will support me.

Jan x