75.1K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello, is anyone starting chemo in February 2015?

Re: Hello, is anyone starting chemo in February 2015?

Hi Sandie, just popping in from Feb'14 to say how great it was to have a portacath. So many other ladies had problems with veins and PICC lines, and administration of chemo through the portacath was so quick and easy. Having it put in and taken out afterwards was no great problem, and for the duration of chemo you can bath and shower without problems. Leaves a nasty little scar behind as they have to make one incision on top of the other, but treating it with bio oil seems to be making it much smoother. Takes a little getting used to (little hard lump under the skin) but highly recommended.

As for side effects - don't worry till it happens. I didn't have a good time, but most of the ladies last year did much better. As they keep telling you, everyone reacts differently. Some folk even managed to work through it all! My mantra was 'one day at a time'. And eventually it ends. Good luck.

A xx

Hi Sandie

I'm sure your fellow forum users will be along soon to offer their support, but in the meantime I have put for you below the link to one of BCC's publications you might find helpful.

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/treatment-side-effects/chemotherapy-breast-cancer-b...

Also you will find added support and information from our Live Chat Service which runs every Thursday evening between 8.30pm and 9.30pm, the session is hosted by a nurse and a moderator is at hand to help with the technical side.  If you're interested just follow the link below.

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/community/chat

Also below is the link to the area of this website where chemotherapy is discussed further.

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-information/treating-breast-cancer/chemotherapy

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

I read the side effects and it frightened the .. outta me. Woke up this morning in panic mode.  My house is a mess, school goes back in a week and I guess my chemo starts after that.  Normally im pretty calm but feeling hysterical and sick to my stomach this morning.  

Feel like the swings and roundabouts have wrestled me to the ground today. 

I already have ridged nails,  so sparkly polish sounds fun, mine are never manicured as im a gardener.

Going to make muffins for freezer lunches and scrub random things.

I totally get the driving thing, we live in a rural town and my girls go to school miles away, it was bad enough driving them to the  local pool...School will be a challenge. Frustrating,  its amazing how many everyday things become tricky.

Having said that is also amazing how everyday things become Awesome too.. 🙂

Are any of you getting a portacath fitted?  apparently it makes chemo simpler and no one needs to find veins. Modern medicine is pretty impressive really. Im going with that 😉 lol

Hugs lovely ladies,  going to get these muffins made and into the freezer before kiddlets appear and eat them

all..

(Sleep most of yesterday,  seems to be day on, day off for me )

××××

Sandie

Think it might be ginger nuts in the next few week!! Lol
Will definitely check out the YouTube as like you the thought of straggly & patchy doesn't appeal.
Does anyone else feel overwhelmed by all the side effects??just read about dark nail polish??
Too many decisions to make & all I want to do is take a nap!!
House is far too quiet, usually quite like my own company but today feels too quiet
😳
Hugs to all

Morning all,
I'm going to try the cold cap but worry that looking straggly will be worse than boldly baldly beautiful? I guess we'll find things out as they happen... Thanks for the link re tying scarves. I also found a site called Eyelineher very inspiring. She shows you how to tie scarves and paint eyebrows and eyelashes on without looking like Betty Boop!
A friend has advised to take a cool bag to chemo with calipo-style homemade lollies to suck to avoid mouth ulcers and taste loss. It worked for her. Ice cubes from a flask might work?
I feel I need to get the house sorted (we've even the odd christmas decoration still up!) and the dreaded tax return done before chemo starts on 5th but I'm still very sore from the mx and, horror of horrors, still can't drive. We live in the middle of the countryside with no public transport and it's very frustrating. It's that damn fifth gear... Still, might limp along to the shops in fourth...
I'm in bed with a cup of tea, looking at a bright blue sky. We've all come such a long way already and we'll be going through the next rough patch together.
Keep calm and carry on (eating shortbread biscuits, in my case)
Love Natalie

Baldly beautiful.  Shes delightful. 

Not sure if im allowed to post external links.

But I enjoyed watching them,  you might too.

Xxx

Sandie

Im giggling at the image of wearing a cold cap watching Frozen! Pahahaha! 

Im not cold capping, a bridge too far for me. Flowing lopsided head thingy for me...actually theres an amazing woman on youtube who does mini tutorials on tying scarves and great make up and false eye lashes,  shes Gorgeous.  Shall google and be right back....

Hugs,  

Sandie

Hi, Sandie, Natalie, Annie, Pippa & Su
Sadly think others may be joining us ladies, as time goes on!,
Are you all giving the cold cap a go? I'm undecided still but think I should probably give it a go. Sandie, think I will be having rads after chemo then tamoxifen and I'm going for a wig as a back up. I'd like to think I'll be hip and cool with a lovely flowing head scarf but not sure how that will pan out!! 😜
One day at a time I keep telling myself,
Wishing you all a good weekend
Xxx

Hi
I'm starting chemo on 2nd Feb after being diagnosed with grade 2 ILC.  Had bi lateral MX and SLNB in Dec.  Lymph nodes clear and bone/ct scans clear too but the tumour was a whopper (15cm) so they recommended chemo and rads.  Having 6 sessions of TAX but will know more when I've been for my pre-chemo appointment.  I thought I was the only one starting in Feb so its so great to know I won't be alone, I'm so grateful you're all here, sending a high five to all of you xxx

Hi Anniegran and Nattynoo, welcome to the BCC forums

I am posting a link to a long running thread called 'Top tips for chemo' which you and others joining this thread may find interesting:

http://forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Chemotherapy/Top-tips-to-help-get-you-through-Chemotherapy/t...

Please also feel free to call our helpliners to talk any concerns or queries over, lines are open during the week 9-5 and Saturdays 10-2 on 0808 800 6000, they are on hand with practical and emotional support for you

We have lots more support services which you can read about here:

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-services

Take care
Lucy BCC

Hello, I am new too. Diagnosed just before Christmas! I am going to have chemo first to shrink the tumour before mastectomy. Have to have CT scan soon and if all well will start Taxol on 6 February followed by Herceptina few days later. Had a dental check up Tuesday, all well, seeing hygienist today. Dentist said OK to use BraunElectric toothbrush holding it gently on one tooth at a time. Have bought alcohol free mouthwash and a lovely soft bristle hairbrush ( in the hope that I will have hair to brush). Good luck to everyone.

Gosh, there's a crowd of us...
It's (sadly) reassuring that what we're facing must be similar to what hundreds of people all over the country are (or have been) going through.
Whilst the waiting is difficult, it feels strangely like a respite after the panic of diagnosis and then surgery. I'm determined to be driving and to get some core strength back before this next stage.
I had two lumps, a single mastectomy and lymph clearance. Came out of hospital on Christmas Day with a paper hat on and my drain in a gift bag. Felt like being in a Victoria Wood sketch...
I'm finding physio helpful for my stiff arm and cording. My GP prescribed Naproxen for the nerve pain in week 3, and the improvement was amazing. I only needed it for a few days, almost like a brain-rewiring. Feels great to be off codeine.
Good luck everyone with haircuts, chocolates, and pineapple chunk hoarding...
I'm trawling through films to download for watching during chemo. I'll be the one with the cold cap on eating ice lollies, watching 'Frozen'.
Best wishes,
Natalie

Hello February Ladies,

I am a January starter, it has all been manageable so far.  The worst part is the waiting.

Nattyoo, if you go to your original first post then click 'edit' in the top right corner, you will be able to change the name of the thread.

Good luck and good wishes to all of you.

Love Su

XX

Hi alison :), I thought about the hair cut but decided I would rather spend the money on Chocolate snd a good book ..my partner can shave it for me 😉

Seriously sized tumour,  mine was 50mm. What drugs are they putting you on? 

Did you get a wig? Thought I might for warmth, but going to look at some on wednesday before the portacath assessment. looking at wigs seems very grown up, maybe scarves might be less daunting! 

The dates seem ages away , but reckon they'll be here in the blink of an eye. I just have a vague date and know its on thursdays and need to start by the 12th feb..so im guessing the 5th.

Hugs to you too. 

Xxx

Sandie

Hi ladies
I had mastectomy 10th Dec, grade 2 invasive lobular Cancer, tumour was 65mm in size.
Staring chemo 3rd Feb! Hair chopped and ready to go!!
Hugs to all 😜

If you know how to start and name a thread, please do. It will be good to be able to share experiences.

Hi, I was supposed to be starting chemo in January, but is looking more and more like February.

Hi, ive been hanging around waiting for mine, guessing its starting february now. Was just going to start a february fireballs...or something like that thread. Xx

Sandie.

Hello, is anyone starting chemo in February 2015?

Hi, I had a mastectomy on December 23rd and am starting chemo at the beginning of February. It would be helpful to share this daunting experience with others going through the same...