68.5K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello, is anyone starting chemo in February 2015?

Simone67

Re: Hello, is anyone starting chemo in February 2015?

Sorry it's the Ondansetren is that steroid or anti sickness, I'm totally lost with all this medication.
I think chemo brain has set in after a few hours.....Lol
Simone x
Simone67

Hi all,
Just finished my first FEC and now at home I feel a little light headed and stomach a little dodgey,.
I started treatment around 12:20 and finished around 2:30 when would you say is the best time yo take the steroid and is it best with food I want to eat but feel scared to just in case I get I'll?
The experience of having treatment wasn't bad at all.
Big hugs to all
Simone x

Morning Pjw...Smiley Happy

How are you feeling today lovely?

Cant believe the awful agency nurse!I would have told her to stick her needles where the sun dont shine!Glad you found a lovely BCN nurseSmiley Happy

When is your next treatment?

Hugs Rachelxxxx

Hey AlisonSmiley HappyX

How are you feeling today?Glad you found something new to do...wouldnt mind trying some crocheting,or knitting...tried it years ago and failed miserably!You may start with Barbie and Ken outfits,but by session 6 you could be making a beautiful summer cardi!Smiley Happy

Im going to try get out today,the sun is out,so making the most of it..wondering when the steroids will kick in and make the most of that!!

Take care lovely

Rachelxxxx

Hey Simone..welcomeSmiley HappyX

Hope your treatment goes well today,you will be fine,drink plenty and take something to read,unless you have someone to go with?

Take care lovely

Rachelxxxx

Morning ladiesSmiley HappyX

Just thought id sign in and give an update on my first chemo session yesterday....wasnt as bad as i thought and apart from the nurse having a bit of trouble getting the needle in my hand(the oncologist told me porkie pies and said I had perfect veins!) well they turned out to be very thin so nurse had trouble getting the needle in,but eventually found one and that was fine!so bit sore and bruised.I had the FECT so had about 5 syringes of the red liquid and a couple of bags of the other..Yes Natilie makes your wee bright red,much to my amusement!The whole process was very relaxing and went quite quick.Did help that my,friend was with me and another lady on her 2nd chemo shared the room,so we spent the whole 90mins yakking!Smiley LOLX

got home last night worn out and think the steroids kept me awake a bit and little headache above my eyes..so took some paracetomal which helped a bit.Little sickness this morning,but took the tablets they gave me and driinking plenty of water.

Good luck to the girls having treatment today,you will sail through it..

love and hugs Rachelxxxx

Alison_46

Welcome Simone,
Good luck for today, once you've done the first one you know what to expect and they will get easier. I'm now on day 3 following first cycle on Tuesday & feeling much better.
Sending hugs and good wishes to all starting today
Xx
Alison_46

Annie
I was given mine by a lady who's been through chemo, yes I think they are sea band. Happy to admit it might all be in the mind but if it works then great!
Have only taken them off for the shower
Xx
Alison_46

Rachel,
Great idea about wigs, going to chase my appointment today I'm so keen!
Seriously, my niece is getting married at the end of March so would like one for that, hope to feel comfortable with scarf but a weddings a bit different me thinks?!
Xx
Alison_46

Morning ladies,
Well day 3 and I can say I'm starting to feel more like me again. Would agree it's a bit like a whip round in the dryer!!
Sickness not so bad & managed to eat a bit more yesterday. Two small achievements, I managed to do my own injections (yay!) and learnt to crotchet (double yay!). A friends lovely mum sat with me and I had great fun learning something new, needless to stay I have only created items suitable for Barbie & Ken but who knows what I'll be creating by cycle 6! 😛
Sandie, you did make us laugh with your pet rock! 😊
Hugs to all, take care lovely ladies xx
pjw

Hi ladies

So first one done, five to go. For all those starting soon - no worries. Just feel like I've had a spin in the dryer this morning - meds should kick in soon.

Mixed hospital visit - diabolical agency nurse - who moaned I was keeping her from her breakfast and then promptly used me as a pincushion in the wrong arm! Called the bcn and got a new lovely nurse.

Arabic patients next door, so lots of praying (calming for me) and moving around in a different time zone, so moved me last night and I got some sleep. Scaffolding and builders outside this morning!

All in all good material for a play on tv. Sure sandie could come up with a good title! Rock provided ray of sunshine yesterday - thank you xx
keepmumsane

Hi ladies, 

Heart of stone, veins of paper..lol

First chemo check. 

Lovely team. Painless really. 

Delayed travelling home in traffic and some confusion over drug regimes left me very queasy and not sure where to put myself last night but realatively ok. 

Had tinned peaches for breakfast,  and rice with peas for lunch. Was offered amazing venison casserole but smelt too rich.

All in all lots of sleep and water. 

Hugs ladies,  thats my nsp time. Hoping steroids kick in for energy soon. I've had a shocking headache but I think its thd previous tests and resulting dehydration. 

Much love, child just appeared with dress project request....yikes

Simone67

Oh for everyone who started this week please let us know how you feel further down the road if up to it!!! I was told by the nurse 1st 2 are normally fine it's cycle 4& 5 is bit more challenging but everyone's different
Again best wishes
Simone x
Simone67

Hi all,
I start my chemo tomorrow like you Fralan
I'm getting nervous now, but starting to feel better after reading everyone's post.
I was diagnosed in November, grade 2, stage 2A, SLN had 0.7 micromets ER+PR pos Her2 negative hence chemo.
Good luck & best wishes. I will keep you posted.
Simone x
Add Comment
dennymac

Hey fralan good luck! Just take someone with u if u can cause it just makes it less daunting! I may not even take anyone next time cause I know what I'm going in to next time xx
Fralan

Thanks Natalie & dennymac after reading your posts I feel less anxious. I hope you are still feeling ok. You are in my thoughts. Will keep you updated.
Big hug to all xxx
dennymac

Hey everyone!!! So 1 cycle down for me and 5 to go!!! Am getting taxotere, pertizemaub (sp?) and herceptin... Due to this I had to go in tues and wed!! All done now! Wasn't as bad as I expected, some waiting around but that's all! Was quite young compared to most there so got the odd few sorry looking glances but I shrugged it off and everyone was really friendly!!! Feeling ok still but starting to get a bit achey and today last of the steroids so not expecting tomorrow to be fun!! May as well write the weekend off!! Got my sky+ box full lol

Well done to everyone who's started and a good luck to those getting first round today or tomorrow! We can do this!!! Lots of love D xx
Nattyoo

Hi folks,
Had my first FEC chemo today. It was a much less traumatic experience than I'd feared. Felt to be in super good hands. So those of us who are starting tomorrow ... Don't worry too much. It's over surprisingly quickly and the immediate effects are like having a couple of G&Ts.
I wore the cold cap. Took a painkiller before going in and honestly, it wasn't bad for me. Whether it works is another matter, but I will use it next time if there's any benefit.
I ate frozen grapes and drank lots of water throughout. My pee was bright pink only minutes after the red syringe. Just goes to show how quickly the drugs pass through our body.
Been home for a couple of hours and feeling hungover and queasy but ok.
Thank you Alison, for the Seaband tip. Will be using them tonight and tomorrow.
So best wishes to those in tomorrow.

Love Natalie

Ps. Sandie, your pet rock story has made a lot of people smile! It'll be on your medical records that you have a heart of stone!

Hey Aliison😊X
Glad it went okay today,well done you .i think you should get 2 wigs...one snazzy one completely different to your regular colour/style,then one like your own hair...that's my plan is money permits😊...you can get an NHS one,which aren't too bad.
Take it easy ...hugs Rachel X

Sandie😊....how's your pet rock lol?!!X
Sounds like you've been in the wars a bit,being stabbed a lot by the nasty needles😕...think we must be getting used to all these tests and prodding...forgotten what it feels like to feel 'normal!'
Hope all goes well for the Chemo lovely,how many sessions?X
Hugs Rachel

Hello Fralan😊
Good luck for Friday...you start day after me.
It's lovely on here,ladies so nice X
Rachel

😊hey Anniegran X
Loved your post,made me smile...especially the bit about taking a selfie if you in your cold cap etc...will want to see that!!
What is Knitted Knockers lol!Will have to google that😊
You mentioned Taxol?Im having Taxotere is that the same?Also Fluorourcil,Epirubcin and Cyclophodphamide....flipping heck,sounds like a chemistry lesson!!
Take care lovely, hugs Rachel X
Anniegran

Sandie, had a laugh about your little pet.
Hope everything went well and you are not feeling too bad. X
Anniegran

Alison, thanks for the tip about the wrist bands. Did you use Sea bands?
Anniegran

Hello Fralan, welcome to the club. I'm starting chemo on Friday. Good luck.
keepmumsane

Hi lovelies, today chemicsl warfare begins...the red devil ...release the dogs of war. 

After Yesterdays debacle of being stabbed repeatedly in nuclear for my bone scan and the descision in CT that I have fragile veins...today I have round 2 with an ultrasound for the CT people to find a decent vein ..before my chemo appointment at 8.30...

Sigh. 

But wait... 

Lying in the bone scanner, humming the Star Trek theme to ward off claustrophobia, with Dr House making witty rude comments in  my imagina

tion.. technician ssid ..um..do you have anything in your pocket...on your chest, other than the bra snaps? ?...

.... o.0

Um... my pet rock is tucked in my softee to stop it climbing out of my bra and onto my shoulder,  its the adventurous type. 

So now theres a note Iin my medical file explaining the hole in my full body scan, where my heart should be, is in fact the patients pet rock. 

Awesome

Hugs ladies,  , I'll be thinking of you all today. Xxxxx welcome to the gang fralan

Note to self, gingernuts, seabands. Got an invite to look good feel better later this month, 

Time to get out of bed, long drive,  what does one wear to chemical warfare?

Xx

Sandie

Alison_46

Hi dennymac, Rachel, Annie,Sandie, strawb, pjw and all the lovely February Ladies,
Thanks for all the good wishes, well 1 down 5 to go! Yay😁
Thinking of you all who are starting and welcome Fralan!
Just wanted to let you know everything went well yesterday, the bit I found the hardest was the cold cap and to be honest I'm not sure I'll keep it up.
The best thing I used from the chemo list on here were the wrist bands, felt very nauseous in the night & they have helped. Infact I've only taken them off to get in the shower!!
Now to shop for hats and scarves & waiting for my wig appointment, should I go long, short, blonde, brunette??
As I think Sandie you said, the things we think about???
Well we're all off on the next part of our journey, hang on tight, at least there's an end in sight!!
Take care & hugs to all xxxx
Fralan

Hello,

I start chemio on Friday. I'm sooooo nervous! But this forum is helping me a lot. xxx

Hey Pjw😊X
Bless you ,hope your son gets better soon and all goes well for you today.Hugs X
Rachel X
Anniegran

Hope all goes well for you pjw. The fear f the unknown is always worse than reality. hope your boy gets better soon.
pjw

Quick line to say will be thinking of you all over the next few days

Have been helping my son ( who has an awful cold) to do his algebra homework this evening, whilst packing a bag for the hospital etc and trying not to stress about the next couple of days, the germs or my inability to explain maths clearly - almost sitcom material!

Take care of yourselves all and speak up to nurses and loved ones if you need anything xx
Anniegran

Thanks Gill, I have been reading some of the older posts. I can see that real friendships have been made. The advice is so appreciated. I feel much less anxious.
Anniegran

Hi Rachel, hope that receptionist got told off. She should have pointed out politely you were in the wrong space. Parking at my hospital is awful. You have to queue for a place usually.

I see we have all either started treatment or starting soon. Good Luck everyone. It seems that a lot of the side effects can be controlled by the chemist shop of meds they will give us. Have been told that ginger biscuits and Ginger beer are good if you are feeling sick.

I went for my look around the ward yesterday. Had to wait for over an hour for my 'talk' as they were so busy. The nurses were lovely though and let me have try on the cap (not cold), my husband said I looked as if I was preparing for take off. The cap part is covered by a red helmet, with chin strap, this is linked to the ice machine. They give you a heat pad to keep the rest of you warm. I said I would give it a go but also booked an appointment with the wig lady. I Will be linked up to a drip for the Taxol (anyone else having that?). I asked about going to the toilet - after all we have got to drink a lot. Apparently I take the whole lot with me. Will try and take a selfie of me in the cap!

I am back in on Monday for Herceptin injection and for a Portcath to be fitted, as my veins are rubbish. I am going to have chemo every week for 3 weeks then a week off for 12 cycles, so it is worthwhile. Unfortunately they cannot fit it before so I have to have a cannula for Friday's dose.
Loved the knitted knockers site. Think I will knit some (not had operation yet). I warned Husband that I might start throwing them at him if I get stressed! We had a good laugh at that.
I know of someone who had a mastectomy years ago and she has a false boob which tucks in her bra. When she is sewing she sticks her pins in it! Heaven knows what people think if she forgets to take them out before answering the door!

Hey Gill...Thankyou for your lovely wishes😊...so nice to hear that your well and still in touch with your friends from the group X
Gill_567

Hello Ladies,

I'm just popping in from the February 2013 thread to wish you all the very best for your treatment.

It might all feel pretty overwhelming to start with, but together you can get through this.

It's two years since the February Valentines started and lots of us are still in touch, supporting each other through life's ups and downs. Mostly really good news all round and enjoying our friendships. So look after yourselves and each other!

Gill x

Hello ladies,hope you are all feeling good,resting well and positive vibes all around you X😄
Well was an emotional day...Didn't start great in the hospital,apparently I parked in the wrong place and got 'told off' by the receptionist...so then I said sorry like I was being told off by the head mistress and burst into tears😢!Ive held it together so far,but think it was reality really,being there in the Oncology department and taking that next big step.I eventually calmed down and the lovely nurses were so nice and comforting,that I soon was put at ease😊.
My treatment plan is FEC-T,,6 sessions ,which will be given every 3 weeks,starting Thursday morning.I even got to try some hats and wigs on,as the hospital has a 'Focus' centre,which offers lots of help.Needed to book the look good feel better course,as apparently it's very popular and gets full !
Feeling bit better now I know what's happening 😊
Hugs lovelies xxxxxx
Rachel

Good luck Sandie for tommorow😊X
You start Chemo same day as me...we are all going to kick cancers butt!!It stands no chance!
You reminded me I haven't got a thermometer yet...need to get one before Thursday.
I always worry that if I try false eyelashes,they will just drop off lol!!
😛
Take care lovely X
Rachel

Hey Alison😊
Good luck for tommorow lovely...I start Thurs.Have you had your pre chemo already?
Rachel X

Hey Strawb😊
Yes I agree with you,feeling sick can be worse that being sick,especially if it's continuous for hours.I guess we don't know how we are going to react to the treatment until we have it.Had my pre chemo chat today and blood test,so it's all go on Thurs!
Take care lovely X
Rachel

That should say pre chemo lol!!X

Hi Herewego😊
Hope all goes well with your Portacath being fitted Frid.i had my pretty chemo today and will be having a fine needed in my hand each time,it's not too bad as just once every three weeks.How are you coping with things?X
Rachel
keepmumsane

Reassuring strawb xxxx thank you.

We are up to seat backs upright and tray tables stowed away arent we! 

Im lying on the couch in the lounge,  the champion snorer is in fine form tonight.  Feeling very positive reading todays forum. You ladies rock! 

Got the ct and bone scan in the morning,  chemo thursday.  Mike bought the not so staggeringly expensive thermometer,  and the chemist gave us a sympathy discount...id been investigating false eye lashes and Im clearly not an eye lashings kinda girl. So no drive by temp readingd, but a 1 second one.... wish Id had that when the kiddlets were Screaming!  😉

Thermos is pure Genius! 

Much love,  and some giggling. jolly dog is snoring now too . Booooo

Stacking my zzzzs

Sandie

dennymac

Day 1... Cancer let's be having ya
strawb

Good luck and hugs to everyone starting chemo this week, we can do this ladies!

Lots of love

L xxx

strawb

Good luck for today Alison, it'll be over before you know it hon.

L xxx
strawb

Hey Rachel

Next one's in 3 weeks yeah, they gave me anti-sickness tablets, two different kinds, along with antacids, anti biotics for my nadir which they say will be from about the 5th day after chemo to the 10th.  Oh and I got some difflam mouthwash for if I get a sore mouth.  At the moment I feel mildly queasy but not too bad. I think sometimes nausea's worse than actually being sick isn't it?

Herewego

Hi Alison - I was originally considering a PICC line but since I got two little ones (4 yr & 1yr olds) it was safer not to have anything hanging externally hence the port-a-cath x
dennymac

Hey everyone! Nerves increasing! Had a call today to ask me height and was informed il be getting perjeta tomorrow and the tax and herceptin on Wednesday! They hadn't told me it was gonna be over 2 days! Quite annoyed now! Should find out about my PICC/port after this cycle! Sooner the better of u ask me!! Hope everyone is doing well xxx
Alison_46

Welcome herewego,
Forgot to ask has anyone gone for the PICC line??
Xx
Alison_46

Hi ladies
Just thought I'd pop in before my first session tomorrow, good luck to any others starting then & know lots of you are beginning this week.
Good news about the flask & frozen fruit, think I'll try an ice lolly tomorrow & see what happens.
Off to paint my nails & pack my bag, thinking of you all
Alison 😀 xx