68.5K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello, is anyone starting chemo in February 2015?

Anniegran

Re: Hello, is anyone starting chemo in February 2015?

Hello worried sick, good news your bone scan and ct clear. We all worry but there are so many positive stories if you look back at older threads. Hope all goes well for you tomorrow. Keep in touch. Ann

Hey dennymac....Smiley Happy

wish I could have had a sofa day today...my teenage daughter had a dance comp,which i didnt want to miss,so was at that all day...very tired now,but she got a gold medal,so was worth it!

Do you feel flushed also?How are you with eating?

Not had dry skin yet,but definately looks colourful!Smiley Frustrated

Hope you feeling a bit better tommorow lovely,take care 

Hugs Rachelxx

Hi Worried-sick,

welcome to our February chemo starters threadSmiley Happy...its a worrying time for you and another trip into the unknown....but think of it,as one step closer to be clear from all of this and getting to your goal of full health.X

We are all here for you and if you need to moan,shout or just ask something you are worried about,we can do what we can to help you or just be a virtual hugSmiley Very Happy.

Im having the same chemo as you,started my first last Thursday, 3 weekly for 6 sessions.Have you got someone to go with you?I wrote everything down that I wanted to ask or had a little list of things to take,comfort really.Great the scans are clear,thats brilliant!

Take care lovely and you will be fine Tuesday.

RachelX

worried-sick

Hi, I'm starting my chemo on Tuesday 10th February 2015. I'm having FEC x3 and T x3. Had a mastectomy on 25th November then after having it found in three out of five nodes had to have lymphnode clearance on 23rd December. CT and Bone scan clear. Hair cut ready to start but petrified
worried-sick

Hi, I'm starting my chemo on Tuesday 10th February 2015. I'm having FEC x3 and T x3. Had a mastectomy on 25th November then after having it found in three out of five nodes had to have lymphnode clearance on 23rd December. CT and Bone scan clear
dennymac

Ug! So day 5 after perjeta and day 4 post tax/herceptin and feeling a little bit weary! The skin on my face is so dry and around my nose and hairline is so sensitive! Feeling a bit warm but temp is fine so drinking lots and keeping a close eye on it! Sofa day for me! Hope everyone else doing ok xxxx
Anniegran

Hi girls, day 2 after taxol and I don't feel too bad. Just a bit exhausted, for example get up, have shower, get dressed, have to have a rest. I have a slightly raised temperature (nothing to worry about yet) and red cheeks. Tomorrow first dose of Herceptin which is injected into your thigh, then I have to wait until early afternoon when the Port a Cath is being put in. I was slightly worried about any possible effect this would have on my heart but doctor on Friday reassured me. I have two lovely nurses assigned to my care. Both said to ask them about anything that was troubling me and to ring the ward if I was at home.
I am sorry some of you are suffering and hope that you will soon be feeling better.
keepmumsane

Hey dennymac, I got told off for panadol.  Its ok for now but once you hit the down cycle with immune levels it can mask a fever. So be careful.  I had hideous headaches, I think from dehydration of the testing. But was told to take my temperature before I even looked at the packet.  Xxx 

Booo, my tummys been rotten too. Up for hours last night. I was given laxol. 

Neighbours have thrash metal this morning.  Double boo

Hugs lovely

Sandie

keepmumsane

Hi Rachel,  pet rock is resting up.i got it at Riversdale,  the beach education day my girls school had with the life guards. It was the last swim with 2 boobs... or sadly this summer as its Awesome weather. 

Makes me think of hot feet burning sand and big waves, was a glorious day! 

I have 4 lots of AC, then 12 packlitaxol,  then radiation and a year of herceptin. 

Been extremely lucky so far, but 3 day drug routine done today,  so fingers crossed for the school run tomorrow

Its amazing how differant we all are, both with drugs and reactions. I like that it proves we're all unique but hate that they cant make it easy first off for all of us.

Gentle hugs lovelies.  I can recommend a bath for tue steroid jangles. Xxx

Sandie

Marli that's a long time to spend at the hospital...poor you ,bet you are so tired once you get home!X
I've got the frozen pineapple and mango at the ready for stage 2😊Xx
dennymac

Marli my tum has been the opposite... Feel really bunged up but trying to eat lots of bran flakes etc the first lot I dunno what to expect... Lol the joys eh?? I have IBS so my tum can be unpredictable anyway! Losing my taste is crap too! Had my tax on Wednesday... I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop and have the pain everyone else has said they get... Don't wanna be led into a false sense of security!!! Xx
marli

Dennymac , ask for medication for the acid reflux - I take omoprozole (spelling?) everyday and it stops it. Listen to your tummy and go straight to the loo if you think you need to. My rumbles and roars something awful. lol. x

marli

Hi Rachel, I am doing fine similar to Dennymac but all bearable. Don't like diarrhoea (can't even spell it without a dictionary) but pain in legs only a couple of days an d taste off for a couple of week. Going to take frozen pineapple next time - apparently Tesco do it ready frozen and will use vacuum soup bowl. I am now half way so am feeling doubly positive and we are going to have a couple of days away before the next zap. The nurses at my unit are really fab, never seem to stop moving poor girls. I pulled the red cord the other day and really made them run. Felt an utter fool, chemo brain beginning to come into play after 7 hours at unit. xx

Hey Marli😊
Thankyou for saying hi and giving some great advice.The hand warmers I'll deffo be using and drinking water lots the day before,as my veins weren't good for my first chemo 😕X
How are you coping with it all?
Rachel X

Hello StrawbX
Sorry your having a rubbish few days😕....is the anti sickness tablets helping at all?
I've had a really tearful day,just felt so fed up...but am watching a movie with my daughter now,do try cheer myself up!
Hugs lovely X
dennymac

Hey marli 🙂 yeh I'm still waiting for the bad side effects to hit... My tummy has been uncomfy, my mouth feels horrid and have bad acid reflux but apart from that I feel ok. Starting to get pains in my back, and legs but regular paracetamol keeping that at bay 🙂 I will be on herceptin and perjeta after my 6-8 sessions of taxotere until they stop working (fab!) xx
keepmumsane

Thanks marli, good idea with those wee  handwarmers. Good for you with the water plan, wish we'd been told by the staff. 

O strawb, thats rough.xxx 

They must be able to tweak your meds to make you more comfortable.  Xx

Sandie

marli

Hi Dennymac - You are the first person on the threads who I have come across who is having the same treatment as me. The subsequent treatments can take a long time because of waiting time between each drug so may be a good idea to check how long you will be there next time. They told me 3 and a half hours and I am there 7 hours (including seeing Onc).

I am really surprised at how well I am feeling as the main problem for me has been trouble with my bowels (lovely!!) but learning how to cope with that. Will you be getting Herceptin after chemo finishes. I will have another 12 treatments but these will be into my thigh by injection apparently. Good luck and hope you keep well. Marli xx

marli

Hi Ladies, hope you do not mind me popping in from January Gemstones . Might be able to give a little moral support and information'

First , if you have tried the cold cap it is really worth keeping it up. Had 3rd session of Taxotere on Wednesday (first was on Christmas Eve) and I still have a lot of hair although it is thinning (thinning is slowing down.. I lost all of my hair when I had chemo in 2009 and was keen to try and keep it. Take paracetamol an hour before they put cap on and use a toweling headband around forehead and ears. Lots of layers, scarves and hot drinks keep me going.

Because I have had chemo before veins were rubbish and plan was a PICC which did not work then a Hickman line but this didn't happen in time for no.2 and must admit not keen. I apply microwave heat packs and keep them on till at hospital and also drank LOTS of water the day before and so far they are managing with the vein. Whooppeee! It depends on how far you are from the hospital but another ladies suggested one of those little "hot water bottle" handwarmers inside a glove.

Well done everyone you are doing so well and are so positive, even the ladies who are having problems. Keep it up ans much love to you all. Marli x

strawb

Hello lovelies

Sorry I haven't been about but I had a rotten reaction to the TAC, migraine for 3 flippin days then vomiting and stomach cramps.  NOT a good start but starting to even out now, been very weepy too, suddenly feeling overwhelmed by it all.  I think they may have to tweak my next dose 😄  Sending love to all of you xxx

How are you feeling Simone?Have you taken your anti sickness meds?I hope you are okay😊X hugs

Hope you feel bit better today Pjw?X
I was just really flushed and hot last night,anyone else had that?X

Welcome Izzy😊X
We are all in this together,so we are here for each other.Im sure you will worry,that is natural,but just be positive and ask as many questions as you can.You will be fine.
Take care lovely X
Rachel

Hey Anniegran😊...no not anywhere nice and sunny(unfortunately),was just out on a cold sunny morning,I love getting out for a run or walkskes me feel better😊X

Some good ideas Natalie😊...I had trouble with my veins too,so will try the gloves.X
keepmumsane

Omgoodness.

What terrible nurses.

My arm looks like it should be in a refuge. But thats from the terrible determined to jam it in there nuclear medicine team.

The ct staff at least admitted defeat and sent me upstairs for an ultrasound to put a canulla in.

And informed me that I was allowed to say stop! Get someone else.  

But who can cope with that at this point. 

Im sorry youre ill.

the sheet of paper I was given has specific time frames ...the window of fingers crossed. 

A good friend made me a ginger cordial syrup,  ive found it more drinkable than water. 

Xxx 

Im getting tender feet, without the shopping buzz. Boo.

Love ya ladies xxxx

Ps had a low bath, to avoid fencing/portacath scar and put Oatmeal wrapped in a chux cloth in.. delicious

Nattyoo

Hi everyone,
I have had problems with finding veins for blood tests etc.
my breast care nurse suggested being extremely well hydrated for the days before chemo so I drank as much as I possibly could! I used a lot of hand cream too. I also wore a warm glove until I got into the room and found that the veins in my hand were plump and the cannula went in nicely.
I also took a painkiller ( left over from my post -op stash) about an hour before which helped with nerves and any discomfort, I think.
I don't think we should shy away from asking for extra anti-sickness meds. I mentioned that I'd had terrible morning sickness in pregnancy, and even have travel sickness, when we were discussing side effects. My bcn said there's a correlation with chemo sickness and prescribed extra meds. The meds have really helped to control nausea.

Good luck, friends. Some of us are '1 down', some still have to start, but we're all in this together...

Natalie

pjw

A night of hot sweats and cold cold shakes. Tonic water sounds good will try - struggling with water. Repeat together 'we can do this' !! Xx
Anniegran

Hi everyone, I had my first Taxol today. All went well and after an evening sleeping in front of the TV and tucked up in bed with glass of hot milk and a biscuit. Keep posting, it helps to chat.
Ann x
Anniegran

Hello Simone, Sorry you are felling so bad.dont put up with it too long. Bad for you to get dehydrated. I have a drug called Metoclopramiden Hydrchoride.
I had food poisoning years ago and found I could keep down tonic water. Might help if you try this or fizzy water X X
Simone67

Oh boy this is no fun! Not only feeling sick I was sick...sipping ginger tea took Domperidone so no good.... I guess I'll just to see how many times I'm actually being sick before a trip to A&E
Really sorry for going on, but just feeling so do low!!
Simone c
izzy46

I am starting chemo on 17th Feb and after frightening myself by reading all the side effects i found this discussion. Thank you all i feel like i'm not on my own now. I feel so stupid for being scared when i see how others are managing it. I'm sure it will be fine as long as i can come on here and find support

Anniegran

Of course you didn't fail Franlan. I have trouble with veins too. They are fitting a PortACath on Monday whic mean they can administer the drugs and take blood easily without pain. If they suggest it for you don't worry. Mine will be inserted under a local anesthetic under sedation, which means you are awake but relaxed and pain free. Ask the nurses about it. Mind you another nurse may slide the cannula in easily. Mine today was a little painful going in but Ok once in place.try to have a good weekend, x x
Anniegran

Hello Herewego, I had my husband there it was good to chat, time passes more quickly. However I also chatted to other patients and the nurses and read my book and paper. Good luck foe Tuesday..
Anniegran

Take care in the sun Rachel, I read in the booklet I was given that chemo effects the skin and sun can make it patchy. Wear high factor sun cream, hat and sun glasses and sit in the shade. By the was it is freezing here in the UK so I guess you are somewhere warm.

Oh I see Pjw....that's good too keep an eye on you 😊X
That's a good idea Herewego😊...that way if your feeling a bit delicate,you've got your hubby there for journey home X
Herewego

thanks Rachel and pjw - hubby will be working from home so he's available but I'm thinking he can just drop me off to the hospital and then pick me up afterwards instead of trying to chat me up during the whole thing 🙂 x

pjw - i had a portacath fitted today so a bit sore especially the smaller incision by my neck but i think that's mostly down to the waterproof dressing being a bit tight. Will see tomorrow if I can change it x
pjw

Herewego maybe compromise, take someone with you, but have chemo with nurses and then company home. Got someone if you need extra support😃
pjw

Portacath fitted afternoon before (Tuesday) and then chemo next morning (Wednesday). Plus hospital concerned how I would react to first dose of chemo (allergies etc).

Hi Herewego😊...It all depends on how you feel?I had lots of offers,but would have gone on my own...I'm quite independant.The nurses are good company and chat,or enjoy the peace,close your eyes and relax.
You will be fine whatever you choose
Rachel xx
Herewego

Question to all of you old hands at this - do you really need someone there at the first chemo session with you?
My first chemo is on Tuesday and I'm not sure if anyone will be available or whether I actually really want someone there with me...? thx xx

Me too pjw😊....X
That's what my sister would have done lol!!
So how come you have to stay in,if you don't mind me asking?
Rachel X
pjw

Next treatment three weeks Rachel. Counting the days!

Had to stop my sister sticking agency nurse with the needle!!! Probably give us a good laugh when we look back. Had to remind her she was going home and leaving me with the hospital staff for two days/ nights! Xx
pjw

Definitely not a failure lovely. Like to see them walk in our shoes. You will be ok Tuesday. Think of a wonderful memory, beach somewhere maybe with a loved one, close your eyes and breathe.

Almost three hour journey home today. We are gonna be tough birds by the time we've kicked cancer's butt. Big hugs xx
Simone67

Fralan, so sorry to hear that. and I'm sure in some small way you must of prepared yourself for it!!
Wishing you all the best & your not a failure all
Big hugs
Simone x
Simone67

Thank you ladies,
Sipping ginger tea & ginger biscuits right now!
I'm on the same meads as you but Onda...one ,is the one I take this evening but I think I'll take now!!
Oh boy let's hope all's well in the morning!!
Thanks for listening ladies
Simone x

Oh Fralan how awful for you lovely 😕...that's not nice at all and you certainly are not a failure!It was the nurses fault for not making it gentler for you and she should have got another nurse to do it.I had problems getting mine in too,it did bruise it badly and hurt,but was lucky to have a kind nurse.
So what is the plan Tuesday?
Hugs Hun,Rachel xxx

Hey Simone😊
Glad your first session went okay,mine too(well apart from the Needle not going in well!)...what anti sickness tablets did they give you?As a few have the steroids(which is better in the morning).i got Ondansetron(1 tablet am and 1 pm,Dexamethasone 4 in morning and Metoclpramide when needed...but only for 3 days) are they the same as yours?X
Try to eat a little something,even just some fruit or ginger biscuits .
Hope you feel better in the morning,Hugs Rachel xxx
Fralan

Hi girls,
I feeling so sad. Things didn't start well for me.I went at the hospital this morning for my first chemio but had to wait a lot at the chemio ward. When it was my turn a very nasty nurse couldn't put the cannula well it was so painful and I fainted. I was very anxious and didn't eat so I was also feeling weak. It's so postponed to Tuesday now. Feeling terrible now..I failed even before starting 😞
dennymac

Hey ondansetron is the anti sickness chick 🙂