68.5K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello, is anyone starting chemo in February 2015?

Herewego

Re: Hello, is anyone starting chemo in February 2015?

I'm only on day 4 after 1st chemo so have to wait and see what happens in the next 2 weeks. I got my order for Annabandana ready if it starts to come out in lumps 🙂
Wasn't that keen on the cold cap anyway so guess this might make the decision for me... xx

Hey, cool,think I'll get some tommorow😊
Yes they do say when your scalp itches or feels tight,the hair will start to come out,which day are you on?A lot of ladies say it starts coming out about 14 days up to 2nd chemo?X
Rachel
Herewego

Hi ColliR8, I've been using bio oil on the scars since I had my post-op checkup and they are much more flexible now.
Piriton has helped more on the hands than scalp. I expect to start losing hair soonish if the scalp doesn't settle x

Hope I've not missed anyone out,as wanted to wish everyone a good weekend and if your in a relationship I hope your man spoils you,but if your single like me,treat yourself to a lovely bubble bath,glass of something nice(unless your like me and totally gone off alcohol!) and buy yourself some pretty flowers,as you deserve it😊
Love Rachel X

Hey Natalie😄
Your on same day as me,day 8 too!hope you had a nice day with your friends?Im planning to do something tommorow for Valentines...but as I'm single I'll have to make do with treating myself to flowers lol !!
I've not noticed any change to my scar area,but my arm is sore again like it was after surgery.
I agree with you on the Cocktails,I think I'd rather have a nice ice cold G & T Thankyou very much!😊
Have a good weekend lovely,Hugs
Rachel xx

Sandie 😊 the photo idea sounds wonderful....memories and photos of things you've gone through and come out the other side,I think it's lovely.Ive taken photos of having my hair cut short and may be brave and get one or my scar too😊.
Did your temperature settle down in the end?It does make you worry though and yes just like when your children are poorly.
Thankyou for being there too,we all are a good comfort to each other😍 hugs Rachel X

Dennymac,was your temperature okay lovely?X

And Allison....I hope the blanket for Barbie and Ken is pink?!!X

Hey Alison😊
Good to hear your having a few good days,it's nice to feel a bit normal again isn't it?
Sounds like you have a good day planned for Monday, trying on wigs with nice afternoon tea,lovely and you can have fun too 😊.
Have a good weekend
Hugs,Rachel X

Hi herewego😊
Thankyou for the info on the bio oil ,you can use that on the scar too I think?
Cut my hair short today,so takes a bit of tension off my scalp,feels nice and light!
Has the Piroten worked?Xx
Nattyoo

Thanks Sandie and pjw.
Very reassuring (if sad) that you are experiencing the same.
Have arranged to see an osteopath who does lymph drainage massage to see if it helps. Will let you know how it goes. Our breast care physio at the hospitals can help too, apparently.
Have good weekends xx
Penfold0_0

Just got my appointment dates for picc line insert and chemo start. First session on 24 feb So scared.
pjw

Yes since the chemo and portacath, I'm further back with movement than post surgery. X
keepmumsane

I agree with the scar stuff and my portacath is really tweaky too. Feels like ive had bats to both shoulders!

Nattyoo

Good morning everyone,
I'm day 8 after 1st FEC. As we've said, we're all on different cocktails (my choice would usually be a mojito !) and experiencing different side effects, but it has been fortifying to travel through the last couple of weeks together.
Just to know the nasal drip is international is reassuring!
So sorry you've been in hospital pjw - take it easy and rest as much as possible.
Hoping for a day with friends and some normality today. I've cleared the bedroom of all my being-in-bed/lounging around stuff ( except the trusty thermometer), washed all the clothes I've been cacooned in and packed my bag for the next chemo. Brought out some pre- surgery clothes and planning to make the next two weeks as good and normal as possible. We need to be ready for the next round - like boxers!
Has anyone noticed an effect on their surgery scar after chemo? I had node clearance and my underarm and chest have gone back to being very tight and sore. Will phone bcn this morning.
And is anyone losing their hair yet?
Lots of love and thanks everyone, for making this all a little more bearable.
Natalie x
pjw

Hi everyone. Pleased to see that we are starting to come out the other side of the first cycle. In the end, I spent nearly a week in hospital. Here's hoping the new tweaked cocktail of drugs means a less bumpy ride next time.

I agree with Sandie, it helped enormously having this community and thank you for being brave enough to post your experiences over the last week or so. I have found this time very isolating, despite support, and to know I'm not alone in this terrifying journey has really helped. One star for the chart - five to go! Hugs xx
keepmumsane

Hi lovelies, agree about the nasal drip! 

Im day 8, my tempt went up last night to 37.5 but slowly dropped in the morning,  feels like when my girls were tiny, so anxious, got no time for laying around in hospital 😉 my bcn said just to keep an eye on it incase its a slow brewer. 

My heart does little racing moments, but  seems like its not so bad. 

I did something cool today,  the night before my mastectomy a local portrait photographer took what I refer to as my memorial boob shoot.  Today I saw the pics.

We were worried it would be sad, but it amazed how rapid this journey is and that we're essentially the same woman,  just stronger. maybe scarred but not beaten down.  

I thought back to all our first posts and how frightened we were and I read now the determination and strength and community we have become,  its really Uplifting.  

Thank you for being here to lean on. 

Xxx

Sandie

dennymac

Hey everyone looks like you're all coming out the other side now! Day 10 post first tax and my temp is starting to go up.... Starting to worry! Xx
Simone67

Alison so happy for you, glad your feeling better.
Hope the same for the rest of the February starters!
I'm not doing to badly either sickness tablets at the side!!
Hope all's well with Fralan let us know how's it going
Big hugs!
Simone xx
Alison_46

Trying to catch up on all that I've missed!!
Herewego- I tried cold cap (3 1/2 hours!) not going to continue it as I found it too stressful & gave me headache.
Simone- sorry to hear you've been having a tough time xx
Rachel- hope you are doing well, I've moved on to a blanket for Barbie & Ken 😉
Sandie- I'm with you on the coffee (pure evil)
Annie- hope you are feeling better x
Alison_46

Evening Ladies,
Been enjoying my first two days of feeling normal!! Hooray!! 😍
Hope your all getting on ok, think I maybe losing hair from my nose as have a constant runny nose. Headaches have gone & stomach & appetite almost normal.
I'm hoping my veins continue to take the meds as don't like the sound of what some of you have gone through. Headstrong appointment on Monday & planning a fun trip to the wig shop with my friends (plus afternoon tea 🍰️).
I have felt very tearful and struggled to keep positive during the last week but was good to hear many of you are the same, keep strong ladies, there will be good and bad days but remember there's an end in sight!
Hugs to all, thinking of each and everyone of you xxxxx
Herewego

Hi Rachel, I'm only on day 3 but scalp and hands are really itchy. Spoke with onc who said it's probably reaction to the steroids and I should try piriton or another over the counter antihistamine to see if it settles it. Also told to keep hands well moisturised.
I'm about to have the piriton so we'll see it that helps. Not sure about moisturising the scalp though but I've heard other people using bio oil to shoothe it x

Hello ladiesSmiley Happy

Hope everyone is feeling okay today?

Im on day 7 and its been up and down,but improved slightly over last few days.Seem to have these horrible sore spots/blisters on my scalp and a couple on my face,but worse on the scalp..driving me nuts and want to shave my hair on now!...shouldnt say that really as going to lose it anyway,but its so sore,dont know what to use on it.Any other ladies getting this?

Rachel X

Hey Strawb X

Youve been through it too like Ann havent you...im so sorry lovely you had to go through that,I hope you are much better today?Glad they eventually used the decent drugs to make you feel better,should have used them in the first place!

Take care and let us know how you are,

Hugs rachelxxxSmiley Happy

Hi Ann,hope you are feeling better today?Must have been an ordeal for you poor thing,thank goodness you was dealt with quickly and well looked afterSmiley HappyX

Its definately a learning curve for all of us and a step into the unknown.We are all so individual and having different symptoms,but in other ways we are all going through exactly the same.

take care lovely and keep us informed how you are 

Hugs rachel xxx

Nattyoo

Hello Strawb, that sounds a really dreadful experience. Get lots of rest. They now know which drugs you'll need to stay well for the next round.
Take care and keep eating...
Natalie x
strawb

Hi all

Had a rotten week, dehydrated badly due to constant sickness and was finally admitted to hospital at the weekend where I just lay in bed while they pumped fluids and potassium into me.  I had neutropenia but thankfully they didn't think I needed a platelet transfusion.  I've had stomach cramps every time I eat as well so they've given me buscopan for that along with three different anti-sickness drugs to the first lot prescribed.  I'm eating whatever I can keep down, mainly soup and baked spuds seem to work for me.  My Onc has been informed and I've been told that they will give me a different, more expensive anti-sickness drug with the chemo next time.  It does make me bl@@dy mad that we're tried on the cheaper option first though.

Oh, and I never want to see another one of those spiky fruit that featured in that Elvis film set in Hawaii.  Ever!

Love to all xxx

Anniegran

Thanks Natalie, that is why I posted in such detail. I was nervous about going to A&E but they were really nice and said I had done exactly the right thing as it is important to catch any infection early on. Hope it doesn't happen to anyone else but if it does you know what to do. I feel perfectly OK now on the antibiotics.
Nattyoo

Dear Ann , what a terrible time you've had. You must be exhausted. Thank you for giving us all the details of your experience - we can all all learn from one another. And this is such a steep and strange learning curve, isn't it?
Get as much rest as possible. Build up your strength again. With very best wishes, Natalie x
Anniegran

Had a bit of a set back. All was well until yesterday. Herceptin, given in the morning by injection. Felt OK afterwards.but when they came to fit the Port a Cath the problems started. I have a nickel allergy. This, came as a surprise to them. What is the point of all that medical information on file if they don't look at it? There was a delay whilst a (higher grade) Port was obtained. I had to have new surgical steel instruments (as opposed to throw away cheaper ones like they use today.Op took 45 minutes. Conscious throughout but on sedation so not frightened. Got home 6,30. I went to bed and slept until 10 30. Woke up and was sick, felt very hot. Took temperature 38.6. Did not panic had a drink and an anti nausea tablet and took it again, half an hour later. It had dropped to 37.8. Another half hour 38.1. We went to A&E as instructed. VIP treatment. Straight in, private room. Blood and urine tests, x Ray + ECG ( my pulse rate far to high). Gave me paracetamol drip and saline drip for dehydration Magic, felt much better within 10 minutes. After two lots of Ops, consultation with medical Registrar, and a cup of tea allowed home with antibiotics. Got to bed again at 6am. Husband and I both slept until lunchtime.
OK today, temperature still normal.
Hope everyone else OK. Ann

Ann x
Herewego

So had my first EC dose and cold cap today. Administration of chemo was a doddle through the portacath but I'm having serious doubts about continuing with the cold cap.
I'm not that fussed if I lose the hair and it was really uncomfortable today for the whole 2.5hrs - in addition to the expected splitting headache, frozen hair and ears it was really uncomfortable to wear and I got a neck ache that made everything worst. I'm interested to hear how others got on and if you plan to continue/stop and what if any benefit you saw from it?
Otherwise I'm a bit nauseous but have managed to eat ok, quite tired and now also got lower back pain.
Let's all keep positive xx
Simone67

Hi Rachel,
I'm doing much better now thanks I'm holding food down... Touch wood!!
Feeling weak though.. Just want energy back
Thanks again
Hugs xx

How did it go today Worried sick?X
Hugs hope your feeling ok Rachel

Oh Simone,just read your post😕sorry you had such an awful time with your first chemo.How you feeling now?Im glad they gave you the 'good' anti sickness drugs X

Me too Sandie....strange taste and feeling in your mouth,but Pineapple good 😊X
Simone67

I hear you Sandie on the hair loss & tea.....
Thanks for your advice
Simone xx
worried-sick

Thank you Ann I will look at old comments.
worried-sick

Thank you for the advice. I'm petrified about today and I know everyone must be the same. I shouldn't have a problem with veins as I had a picc line put in a week ago because of that problem.
keepmumsane

O simone, how hideous.  Good they're bringing out the big expensive guns.  Youre worth it, this things bad enough without that kind of dread. 

Ive managed a classy little darjeeling without milk...but mainly cos its warm and coffee is evil...regular tea is a tragic loss...hair And tea...too much!

Xx

My nurse said no points for bravery,  take all the medication  you need, regardless. 

Hugs

Sandie

Simone67

my chemo was Friday, ended up in A& E kept being suck I think I posted this before, and thanks for kind responses.
I stayed for one night and onoc on duty was lovely will be working with my onoc so she emailed her Saturday night and assured me for the next one, I will get the expensive anti sickness drugs injected before next chemo over a couple of days, (very shocked that she said expensive)
I'm feeling so much better in terms of sickness & holding food down.
But still feel very weak & mouth is starting to tingle had pain in my thighs this morning.
I can taste tea but it's Yorkshire tea bags couldn't taste the hospital tea !!
The key is to control the sickness to make whatever follows manageable... I think!
Simone xx
keepmumsane

Good call on rescue remedy, a friend of mine who gets sick at horse shows uses it and its changed things for her. Xxx

My mouth feels mealy , threw out my cuppa.  Had a glass of milk...wierd! Felt really big in my mouth,  Back to ginger and water. 

Frozen pineapple is good

Hugs

Xxx

Sandie

Hey ladies X
Well 4 the day since chemo and have felt strangely odd today...light headed and tearful,anyone else feeling like this?have eaten little bits,but going off tea(usually my favourite!).Keep swallowing a lot,like I have a dry throat,but drinking lots.
Natalie,is Aloe Vera Juice good?I might try that...think your on the same days as me and hoping by tommorow I'll brighten up a bit😊X
Fralan...you'll be fine tommorow lovely,try get a good nights sleep tonight and deep breaths tommorow.Talk to your oncologist or nurses before your treatment,express your concerns after what happened last time.
Hugs Rachel X
marli

I am a fan of Rescue Remedy - I use the pastilles. Used them right through since dx 5 years ago and this time too. They are worth a try, I get them from Tesco. Use the Nighttime drops too to help me sleep. x

Nattyoo

Good advice ladies, we all need to make this as easy as possible for ourselves.
Lots of love x
keepmumsane

Hi fralan, the chemo staff offered me something to settle my nerves. Your bcn might be able to help.  What happened first time was entirely wrong and mean. Sending you love xxxx

Sandie

Codiesue

Morning Fralan just browsing your post I am a November starter, my ONC prescribed lorazepam for the night before and morning of chemo as she thought my nausea could be down to anxiety.She said some ladies only have to see their ONC in the supermarket and feel sick.I didn't agree..... but I sleep like a baby the night before and am really chilled during session. Might be worth a try if you are really worried.Good luck, you will get through this. Sue xx

Fralan

Hi Nattyo, I'm also having my first Fec tomorrow after my bad experience last Friday where I fainted for the pain of the cannula. So scared this is going to happen again tomorrow. Do any of you know if I can take any calming & painkiller before the treatment ?
Thanks lovely ladies
Xxx
Nattyoo

Hello worried sick,
I'm having the same treatment as you, having had lymph clearance and mastectomy at Christmas. Had first round of FEC last Thursday. I was frightened but it wasn't as bad as I feared and now that it's over feel as though there's no 'unknown' to worry about for the rest of the FEC rounds.
Keep your hand warm for the cannula and drink LoTS of water today. I felt mildly nauseous for the first three days and then very very tired and low yesterday, (like a post viral tiredness) but much brighter and stronger this morning. Feel as though I can get up and go out for first time.
Perhaps try to eat something tomorrow morning to settle your stomach? I've been drinking aloe Vera juice to help clear the drugs and as much water as possible.
We'll be thinking of you tomorrow. Good luck,
Natalie

Morning Ann😊
It did make me smile....She does street dance.Her dance troupe are off to Paris Disney land in March for a competition,so proud of her!X
How are you feeling?X
Anniegran

Hi Rachel,, must have cheered you up seeing your daughter win that gold medal! What kind of dance did she do? Take it easy today. Ann