68415members
359929posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello, is anyone starting chemo in February 2015?

Highlighted

Re: Hello, is anyone starting chemo in February 2015?

Hey Lynda...hows your scalp now?Smiley Happy

I shaved my head last week and had sore spots/blisters on the back,so couldnt shave it properley as too sore..going to try some tea tree oil or something to soothe it.xxx

Highlighted

Hello LadiesSmiley Happy

sorry havent been on to say hi to everyone for a few days....was feeling pretty rubbish after 2nd chemo and a bit unsociableSmiley Sad...my sickness was just dragging on,then I got an infection in my veins(where canula was placed) so had to go to docs for anti biotics as didnt want to get poorly....sickness much better now thank goodness and arm still sore,but not swollen or red,so thats goodSmiley Happy

Becky lovely,please dont worry about the masectomy..yes it will be difficult to get used to having one breast,but you do adjust and will be able to have reconstruction later onSmiley Happy...I was dreading the op,but wasnt as bad as I was thinking and was out the next day.hugs xxx

Highlighted

Happy Sunday to you all
Hope that you r all feeling better.
I would like to thank you all for your messages it is really nice to here other people's experiences, as I have felt like it is only me that is going through this horrible time.
Hope that anyone going to chemo this week all the best
Becky. 💕💕💕
Highlighted

Hi everyone

Just wanted to say thank you to you all for all the support here. Had a wobble day yesterday, finding the fatigue and chemo brain so frustrating, and it helped to come here and know I'm not alone. Enjoy the weekend x
Highlighted

Hi becky, 

I feel ok. I came home after an extra night, I knew my family would suck me into kid stuff and I liied having the nurses bring me pain killers and water on schedule.  I had a drain in which stayed for just over a week,  it wasnt painful,  I think from everything ive read here a lumpectomy can be more painful asvit shifts the furniture rather than removing it. I was told to start my stretches on the 4th day and not to be wimpy about it, the surgeon insisted it was vital to stretch the scar tissue as it formed or the range of movement would be lost.

I was up and about,  didnt drive for 3 weeks (designated driver new years eve)I did take it super eady. Tye arm was sore, the lymph nodes get stirred up more than your chest. 

My advice is do your stretches and don't rush into things.  They send us home fast but its still major surgery and we need to be patient wi ourselves.  Anaesthetic takes ages to come right from,  I didnt really drive again for another 3 weeks.  since my portacath surgery on my right side a friend turned up with a sheep skin seatbelt cover. Wonderful. 

I reckon if you go in resonably fit you come out much the same.  You will do fine. It really really isnt as bad as you expect. 

I went yo physio yesterday for my portacath shoulder and they said my mastectomy arm was really good.  Tye stretches work.  I get the occassional twinge from that side but really its ok. The thought of reconstruction surgery is a far more horrible thought than living without a breast.  Im a swimmer,  but it will be ok.  

I really am amazed at how ok this process has been.  Xxx you will be ok too. Hugs

Highlighted

Thank you Keepmumsane, who would have thought bonjela lol xxx
Highlighted

Hi sandie,
Thank you for the message.
I was told that I would need to rest for 10 day s then could start toget back to normal, was that the same for you? Also I would be on hospital overnight.
I have got 4 more che,o sessions then will see surgeon at the beginning of July, could be in by 2 week of July having it done.
How do you feel now 2 months after as I would like to go abroad in October just for a week in the sun which is roughly the same time frame.
Becky xx
Highlighted

Hi Natalie
Thank you for the message. It am staying as positive as I can, most of the time 😢.
I am just worried about how I will feel after, I have never been someone that wears low cut tops etc however in the summer I do like to wear vest tops and maxi dresses, just get the feeling that I won't be able to wear those again. When on holiday, swimming costume etc.
love becky. Xx
Highlighted

Hi becky, 

I had a single mastectomy at christmas.., was distraught the day before, was worried Id feel like frankenstien,however it hasnt been llike that at all.

I have a fabric softee I wear out and the children have been known to remind me I forgot my boob..lol..., its not a pretty scar, my surgeon left room for reconstruction.  He also said not to do that until I was through chemo and radiation.  So for me its 18 months away anyhow. The other thing he said was some women decide they've had enough and dont reconstruct. I must admit after my intial dismay pre surgery it doesnt feel wierd,  and I can understand not re building. 

Much love xx

Sandie

Highlighted

Sore head, my hat lady said use bonjela, the mouth gel... I havent tried it,  but I bought some.

I found my head stubbly so my friend massaged it with olive oil and brown sugar,  helped lift the loose hair out. 

I sleep with a scarf on my pillow, as the thermostat is broken on my head...and when it gets sweaty I wrsp tye scarf around it. The soft scarf also is an extra layer against any remaining bristles.

I had to laugh today,  came out of the supermarket clutching bread rolls, pickles and crystallised ginger. 

Its just like my first pregnancy,  ate half the jar when I got home! 

Been a long week post second chemo, taken all of it to get my energy back. 

Pickles though...heavenly!

Highlighted

Dear Becky,
Don't worry too much about having your breast surgery. There will be many choices you'll be able to make about how best to move forward after surgery. I had a single mastectomy at christmas and it's clear that there's no rush about deciding what to do next. it seems we have to take one step at a time when faced with this shocking disease. Try to keep positive - you are on your way to recovery.
Take care, Natalie x
Highlighted

Hi Ladies

I plucked up the courage and shaved my head to just a little bit but my scalp is so tender.  When any of you have shaved your head did take it all off? any suggestions for a sore head Smiley Sad

Love Lynda x

Highlighted

Rachel
Sending some energy your way.
Hope you start to feel better soon
As much as I want the op to get this thing away... I am not sure how I am going to cope with only having one breast...😢
Becky xx
Highlighted

Hi Lynda, mine started to shred day 14 after first chemo decided to have it shaved by day17. I cried and my hairdresser was in tears with me but so much better after its done xx
Highlighted

Hi Rachel had my second yesterday 3rd March in bed at 7 exhausted slept until 11.30 pm now laying here wide awake. Touch wood with the new anti sickness drugs up to now. Hope your tummy soon settles down and you are able to eat x
Highlighted

Hi Rachel, thanks for the advise about moisturising I will make sure I do when it is gone! I am doing ok thank you, feel pretty good following a bumpy start. Tomorrow I have the Look good feel better day so really looking forward to that. Hope your doing ok xx
Highlighted

Hey Becky...yes I understand now,have heard of IBC...I had full Masectomy,have Ductal BC.When I first got diagnosed I had no idea there was so many types.
I'm glad you are getting more energy...please send me some this way!
Rachel xxx
Highlighted

Hi Rachel
They have said I have got ibc..... Inflammatory bc. So will need the whole breast off.
I am starting to feel better with more engery. Just hope that it lasts.
Becky xx
Highlighted

Hiya Annie...glad it went okay todaySmiley Happy

Im slowly putting on weight too,think its just the grazing all day that does it and I guess lack of energy,so not wanting to do much.I try to get out for walks the first week when im feeling pretty rubbish and do more the last 2 weeks,but then the appetite goes up!

Have a good evening,

hugs rachelxx

Highlighted

Hey BeckySmiley Happy

Hope you dont mind me asking,when you said you have a sheet,not a lump,what is that? 

I dont get the sore skin when touched,but do get pain all the way up the inside of my arm(where the canula has been) and it feels like ive pulled a muscle quite bad..anyone else get that?

Im wanting to eat everything in site,but just the smell of something can make me feel quite sick...so frustrating!

Hope you have a good evening lovely

Rachelxx

Highlighted

Hey LyndaSmiley Happy

How are you?

My hair started falling out about the same time,but alot more just before my 2nd chemo(day 18-20),then I got my sister to shave it off,as was driving me crazy and hair everywhere.Everyone is different,but thats about average I think.It is a very emotional time when you do lose all your hair,but you soon get used to it and Ive had such positive feedback from my family and friends,that theyve made me feel alot better about itSmiley Happy...you can have fun with lots of different head gear or just leave it uncovered(well when its warm enough)...just got to keep it moisturised,as does get pretty dry on the scalp.

Take care,hugs Rachelxx

Highlighted

Hi NatalieSmiley Happy

Yes same here lovely...one minute so hungry for carbs...then fresh stuff...then just nauseous and then think that your hungry so still try to eat something..crazy!So rubbish and especially when its something you just love normally.Do you still have a sicky feeling after day 5/6? as didnt so much last time,but this time Im feeling it more,but not actually being sick.

Hope youve had a good day

Rachelxx

Highlighted

Hi Ladies,

Big hugs to all of you who are suffering following your recent chemo and hope you start feeling a little better soon.  I am day Day 12 following first chemo and my scalp is so tender and hair started shredding today.  Does anyone know how long it takes to completely fall out?  I am planning on getting my daughter to shave it off Friday if it hasnt gone by then and if I can cope until then!  I picked up my wig today and really like it so I am hoping this will help with the emotional side of seeing my hair come out! Smiley Sad

Hope you all have a good evening (no sickness)

Love Lynda xx

Highlighted

Hey TinaSmiley Happy

Glad you felt comfy with the bra yesterday...may it continue for you everydaySmiley Happy

Definately the sickness the worst isnt it...I forgot to take my tablets before my 2nd chemo,but the lovely nurse gave me some with my treatment,so was okay for rest of the day.Have had nausea though still today,and just want to eat,but when I do, my stomach doesnt like itSmiley Sad...so hoping by the end of the week,that would have worn off.

You have your 2nd in a few days dont you?

Hugs Rachel xx

Highlighted

Hello Ladies,
Please remind me, when do you get your energy back , I've been on the sofa since my last chemo Friday, no energy can't bear it!!
All u do us get up to put food in my mouth then try to find energy to get showered.
Think I'm just having a moment, I guess this is all part of it.
Have a good evening
Simone x
Highlighted

Well done, Annie. Another one down.
I've been eating all day. It feels as though it's the only way to combat that low-level nausea that's there for most of the first week. Determined to get a grip tomorrow...
Natalie x
Highlighted

Annie I'm starting to lose my hair a little now but it's more shedding than clumps and I had my 2nd tax a week ago.. I have cold capped tho and have always said the minute it starts coming out in clumps I'm shaving it off!

My mouth feels like the bottom of a birdcage today I havnt been able to eat a proper meal for about 5 days as cannot taste a thing .. So disheartening! I'm fed up and grumpy! Lol I just wanna eat!!!!!!!!!!! Lol I'm hoping I lose a bit of weight as I feel like I have ballooned xx
Highlighted

Hello all,
well that's 2nd chemo done today and I'm really tired, even more so than the first time. Just hoping the appetite will die down a bit as I've put on 3 kilos since 1st chemo.

I did the cold cap again, this time with co-codamol before hand but it was still very uncomfortable so I've made the decision to stop it as I can't see putting myself through it another 14 times! (I'm doing 4 x EC and 12 x weekly Taxol). I have lost hardly any hair so far (surprisingly) but am prepared now for it to come off so I need to talk to a friend of mine to be rady with the clippers and start looking for headgear :smiley wink:

Love Annie xx
Highlighted

Good morning all
does anyone else skin hurt when touched. All the middle part of my back really hurts.
I am now day 6 after chemo roll on tomorrow when I no I will feel better, I hate the first week after.
Rachel, I have got to have a mastsectory and my cancer Is not a lump it is a sheet. 😢
I think I will try the pineapple next time and i really went off food over the weekend, now I eating everything in site.
Hope you all have a good day today
Becky 💕💕💕
Highlighted

I'm so glad you are all here. It's so reassuring to know we're not going through these horrible few days post-chemo alone.
It's 4am and I've woken hungry for carbs. All I seem to eat at first are rice, cereal, ryvitas, almonds, grapes, fruitcake... Really wierd. Last time I moved on to loads of veg, so I guess it'll balance itself out...
Am finding this round difficult; four more seems a long way to go. And yet if we look back at the whole process from diagnosis, we're more than half way through...
Judi, I'm full of admiration at you having the strength to clean the car out! Thanks for sharing a smile.
Keep well everyone, these itchy scalps, sores and sadness will be a thing of the past before we know it.
It's snowing here tonight and looking rather beautiful...
Love Natalie

Highlighted

I reckon tinned would be ok, juice not syrup, pineapple is great xxx

Im enjoying coconut water too and homemade ginger cordial. Tricky stuff though, , cos youre hungry but what works is super tricky

Xx

Highlighted

Hi Rachel will try the frozen pineapple. I've got extra anti sickness tablets to take this time. I take one an hour before chemo then another day two and three I hope these are better this time I hate being sick. I hope this time my chest and arm on my bad side doesn't feel tight. I've managed to wear a bra all day today yippee !!
Highlighted

You too SimoneSmiley Happy...does make such a difference knowing you ladies are hereHeart

Rachel xx

Highlighted

Hi Judi ,
You made me laugh, nice to do that as I'm feeling low in energy, day 4 after chemo.
Made me chuckle.
- hope the rest if you ladies are managing or finding ways to cope with your symptoms.
I'm so grateful for the support
Have a good night all
Simone x
Highlighted

Judi

Raised a smile- tough afternoon here with high sensitivity to light and noise- thanks for sharing xx
Highlighted

Hey JudiSmiley Happy

That did cheer me up and made me smile!!Smiley Very Happy

Love rachelxxx

Highlighted

Hey DennymacSmiley Happy

sorry you had that awful vomiting last night,how are you feeling now?

Vitamin E body and face wash sounds good,may try some of thatSmiley Happy

Rachelxx

Highlighted

Hi TinaSmiley Happy

You will be fine tommorow...Ive found my second one better for some reason...its good to write a diary of your symptoms each day after the treatment,then you can look back and compare each time.I got the same sickness,but the Oncologist nurse gave me extra tablets this time,so wasnt too bad.

I find fresh pineapple the best,just buy the ready made packs in the supermarket and either freeze them (nice to suck on) or just eat them out of the fridge.Tinned prob okay,havent tried them.

Get a good nights sleep lovely and let us know how it goes.

hugs Rachel xxx

Highlighted

Hey SandieSmiley Happy

Good to hear from you....my hair nearly all gone too...I washed mine a few days before my 2nd chemo and it just went all matted(couldnt untangle it) so cut it off,then got my sister to shave it..had a cute little mohichan for a couple of days, but thats nearly all gone now,so just need to razor it all smooth I guess.Isnt it weird that you dont know what shaped head you got, until all the hair isnt there!

I have some Metroclop too,so maybe should take that when Im feeling sick,as ive still got it 5 days after chemo and its not a nice feeling,Im not actually sick,just underlying in my belly.

Glad you are feeling positive though,its the only way through this,even when you feeling like you cant cope wtih it,you got to stay strongSmiley Happy

Love rachel xxx

Highlighted

Hello again ladies just a bit of lighthearted humour i felt a bit better at the weekend so decided to clean the car out i had my wig on as it keeps my head warm as well as covering my mad professor look my hoover had a mind of its own and as i put the nozzle down to do something it flicked up and hey presto my wig was nearly lost forever down the hose thank god my head was in the car!!!!!! hope this has cheered you ladies up a bit Love Judi xxxxxxxxxxx

Highlighted

The first time I had chemo I broke out in acne over my face and chest and the onc said that's quite common. I've used vitamin E face wash and moisturiser and it hasn't happened this time.

Last night though I felt really bloated and was getting high up stomach cramps in bed, then ended up violently vomiting! That's new! Urgh xx
Highlighted

Hi ladies just a quick question has anyone heard of pimple like spots not on face but on stomach and chest not itchy looks a bit like acne not that ive ever had it something rings a bell somewhere it is yet another side effect im on tax and heceptin love Judi xxxxxxxxx

Highlighted

Hi Rachel, pleased the canula went better. How lovely for your sister and brother to come and look after you for a couple of days, that's a big help. I've got my second chemo tomorrow still got numbness under my armpit but tightness in breast seems to have gone for now. My hair started to fall out early last week so I also had mine shaved on Thursday, it's just got short stubble on it for now. Still got slight snuffles in my nose. Dread chemo tomorrow, hate feeling ill. Is it the pineapple chunks (in the tin) that you freeze for our taste buds ? Love to all Tina x
Highlighted

Hi ladies,  just popping in, crawled out of the 3 day hole post chemo.

On the hair thingy, we shaved mine and then found it wasnt heavy enough to fall out,  like sleeping on 2 day growth!  Lol.

My dear friend came over and massaged my scalp with brown sugar and olive oil...a variation on a hand scrub I use post gardening. Lifted out heaps of hair, then steaming myself in the shower (till I got woozy) lifted out heaps more. Feeling fuzzy,  still got a bit of a monks line though. 

Don't know about you ladies but the AC chemo makes me sweat like mad for the first 3 nights. clammy head is hideous.  I've been sleeping with a scarf on my pillow to wrap my head once I get chilly at 2am.

Only 3 days of meds on my list, but the metroclop allowed as you feel nauseated.

Number 2 has really flattened me. But still chugging.  But I ended up in hospital the week before because of an old broken tooth i n6rver knew about, that took low immune week as an opportunity to smash my sinuses, so thinking that put me lower to start with.

Funny how suddenly the hair, scarf, hat thing really brings it visually home that we really are being treated for cancer. 

Feeling a bit odd and sad,  but also realising im halfway through the first set of chemo drugs and this is positive. 

Sending love strong ladies,  taking heart reading along today. Xxxxx hugs from the antipodes

Xx

Sandie

Highlighted

Yeah nothing tastes nice... Tried everything! Sweet/sour/savoury/spicy everything!!!!!! Argh
Highlighted

Hey Pjw...glad they've given you better tablets this time😊....oh so your used to the hot flashes then?Does the Chemo make them worse?Im not sure if this will make me go to menopause,guess I'll wait and see.
Hope the rest of the week is good for you😊hugs Rachel xx
Highlighted

Hey Dennymac...the taste in the mouth is horrid isn't it?Ive gone off my cuppa and chocolate again😕!Drinking fruit tea as it's refreshing and little meals...until my taste buds come back😊Xx
Highlighted

I got my Drs to prescribe me Metoclopramide just in case, as they were giving me Domperidone and they don't agree with me.
I have heavy periods due to fibroids and still continued with the first FEC so my oncologist started me with in injections to shut my ovaries down whilst on chemo. To tell you the truth I'd love to get rid of them apparently I gave a cyst.
The only tablets I have left to take is Ondansetron which you take 2 days after chemo so I take my last one at 10pm
Simone x
Highlighted

2nd - sickness ok so far. Better meds this time - in hospital for a week last time. Had hit early menopause before bc, sub total hysterectomy 8 years ago, so flushes nothing new for me.

3 days steroid and sickness also given to me. Like you I have more anti sickness, will take if I feel I need them.

Hugs xx
Highlighted

Thanks for your well wishes Rachel!

Currently end of day 5.. Biggest issues is tax mouth! Can't taste a thing it's making me grumpy! Steroid crash is over and feeling more human now so hopefully that's me starting to come out the other side of #2!! 4 to go!!!
Lots of hugs to everyone xxxx