69202members
363295posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello, is anyone starting chemo in February 2015?

718 REPLIES 718

Re: Hello, is anyone starting chemo in February 2015?

Still got peripheral neuropathy in hands and feet. Fingers swollen, knuckles shiny, can't get rings on. Hair about an inch long now, I look like an old English sheepdog that's had a trim. But I had my last herceptin jab yesterday hurray! See the surgeon end Oct to discuss permanent implant surgery sometime after that and the oncologist in Dec after I've had another heart scan.

Hi,  thought I'd just touch base to see how everyone is doing. Can't believe I'm still experiencing numbness and tingling sensations in hands and feet.mNever expected that as usually things improved by the end of the 2nd week after chemo! Hair growth slow. Nails finally improving. Anyway, we did it...completed all our sessions  Good luck to all those still going through treatment. I guess some of you may have finished active treatment...I'm currently going through radiotherapy.

Lankylass, cruise was glorious. I had chemo 1st....surgery was WLE and had lymph nodes removed. So far all good but still a wait for results. Yep, the waiting game again unfortunately. Hope all goes well for you when you have your final implant.

I was interested to hear your reply.  I had been advised by my Chemotherapy Unit to moisturise but not to apply any type of nail colour.  Am assuming that you have found Shellac to be OK.  Am certainly keeping them as short as I can but it's suprising how easily you can catch them on things. 

It would appear that you finished your chemo 4 months prior to me so am guessing I have another 4 months with nails looking this glam 🙂  

Thank you for taking the time to respond.  Helen

Cruise sounds lovely! Was your surgery for reconstruction? Hope your recovery goes well. I'm just hoping my forthcoming final implant surgery lives up to expectations, looking back the expander implant mastectomy was a walk in the park relatively speaking, compared to chemo which was just about the worst experience I've ever had (and there's been a few). When I go to the oncology unit for my herceptin jab the sound of those machines beeping away brings me out in a cold sweat! I'm hoping that numb feet will return to normal at some stage. My hair was a bit of a shock, I used to be a redhead! Now mousey grey with a white Mallen streak at the front.

Had my last chemo on 10/6 and also still have number feet and hands. Skin on face still discoloured and no hair yet. On the plus side managed to go on a weeks cruise which was lovely, except heat didn't help feet - I got swollen feet and ankles. And just had surgery yesterday. All good so far... pain may kick in shortly although I'm hoping painkillers will continue to be effective.

Congratulations hope you can start to get on with things now. I had my last taxol 17/6 and three weekly herceptin jabs till October. Then temporary expander implant swapped for permanent one probably November. Still got terribly numb feet and fingers but hey I've got a centimetre of mousey fluff on my head now!! Hope everyone is managing to get through the aftermath ok. It's been quite a marathon but the winning post is in sight somewhere over the horizon!!

Hello eveyone,
I finished my chemotherapy in May.
Apart from a missing breast, swollen arm and lack of eyelashes, Life is getting a little more normal.
Thank you all so much for being here for what has been the most traumatic six months of my (what I hope will be a long and happy!) life...
Best wishes to you all with your treatment and beyond.
With love, Natalie

Hi Spike, just browsing from November starters, my last chemo was 18th Feb my nails were in bad shape afterwards....discoloured and very big white patches where the nail had detached from the base. I have kept shellac on from that point partly for protection but also to hide ugliness. I have also rubbed nail oil into cuticles and down to first nuckle as advised by beautician. Had shellac doen again today...nails now looking quite healthy but weak and still split a little. Only have  a few white specs now, but still keep them short until they are strong again.

I would advise to keep then short then if you catch them they won't rip off. Good luck Sue xx

Started Radiotherapy last Monday. 7 treatments completed with no side effects so far. Religiously applying moisturiser and aloe vera 2 or 3 times a day and skin is in good condition. 13 more to go but as you say the end is now in sight .... Yippee!!!

I had my last chemo on 18th June and experienced swollen ankles and legs at the end of that 3 week cycle. Much better now although not cleared completely and have to spend a lot of time with legs elevated.  

Still experiencing problems with peripheral neuropathy which has built up since my 5th chemo (2nd Docataxel).  

Can anyone advise on how long to expect discolouration of finger nails.  They are very brittle and sore and I am unsure of the best way to manage them. 

Hello ladies, hope you are al enjoying the summer.
I got my last weekly Taxol next week and then two week break before RT starts.
So the end of the treatment is in sight xx

I got really bad water retention in my ankles and feet at about 4th cycle... It will come and go, it's a bit of an inconvenience more than anything!

Hi all everyone has gone quiet on here so must be feeling ok, I finished chemo on 26th May and I am still suffering water retention it started after Chemo 5 mainly in my feet, ankles. Legs. Is any one else suffering with the same

Hi all,
Like some of you ladies it's been a while finally finished chemo on the 1st June it was meant to be finished in May but due to veins had to have a pic for the last one.
I'm about to start radiotherapy and after that the lovely tablet which my Onc can't stop praising as she keeps reminding us patients that her mother has been taking it for 7 years and doing well.
I want to copy and say the same words as Alison has just mentioned it's been a journey and the support has been phenomenal I wish
us all the best and for those still carrying on with chemo. I will continue to post during rads for those who want to share their experiences.
Take care & enjoy the rest of the day xx

Hi Ladies,
I haven't been on for a while but completed chemo on the 26th May and due to start rads tomorrow for 3 weeks.
It's been a journey and all of you have been a tower of strength during the highs and lows. It's been a challenge but I'm just starting to feel like "me" again! Starting to look forward to things and to getting back to some kind of normality.
For all you lovey ladies still going through treatment I wish you well and to all those who have finished well done!!
Here is where I could be honest and tell you all how I was really feeling and I'd like to say thank you to each and every one of you
Hugs and love to all you brave ladies xxxx

Becky - hope you feel better today? I was swollen after surgery (not my hand) but did have pins and needles in my hand / wrist for a few weeks. Still experiencing probs with my fingers from chemo, finished the same day as you - suggest you ring bcn / hospital for reassurance and to check. X

Morning ladies. Sorry I haven't been on line for a while. My update..... Finished chemo on 22nd may🎉🎉🎉🎉. Had my single mastectomy last Friday. Came out of hospital yesterday. Will get an appointment in a few weeks for my results. Woke up this morning to my little finger and my wedding finger numb, just wondering if anyone else has had this, my arm is a little swollen as well. Xxx

Morning ladies, Udderly smooth cream is great for peeling hands and feet originally for cows udders but this is human version. I bought mine off amazon about £8 for a tub might be worth a try Sue xx

Having had neutropenia with FEC, my oncologist changed the planned three lots of three weekly docetaxel, to 12 lots of weekly paclitaxel. Roughly larger amount, just split into thirds, with less side effects.
I got peripheral neuropathy in fingers and feet anyway, and feeling pretty rubbish to be honest, like I've been run over by a bus, nose bleeding etc. So I'm stopping at pacltaxel number 9, which the onc says is cumulatively as much of a dose as a full wallop of docetaxel. Which is next week yay!!!
However, to rain on my parade, the bc nurse rang me and said I need to see surgeon to discuss having 15 daily (over 3wks) rads to axillary lymph nodes. An hour drive either way for a daily 20 min zapp...What!!!!!
So feeling absolutely flattened (no pun intended) now as I thought I would only need my expander pumped up a few more times, then replacement implant surgery. Oh and 6 more three weekly herceptin injections.
Will post about the axillary node zapping on another thread.....

Hi..I wonder why some of us have 'T' every  3 weeks and some weekly - I'm guessing the weekly dose is smaller??? Not sure if it is but if not  I couldn't  cope with side effects s it takes almost the full 3 weeks to get back to 'normal'. And I thought white blood cells were at lowest about days 7-14? Oh well...good luck to all those still having chemo. Hope all goes to plan and your SE's are minimal. It's goning to be hot,hot, hot where I am today HereWeGO so if it's the same for you, take it easy and look after your hands. My skin normally starts peeing badly about day 2/3 but hope its not as bad as last time!

I still have 6 weekly Taxols to go and am suffering from burning rash in the hands and so some extent in feet all of which is made worse by sunlight... so won't be able to enjoy the summer much 🙂
Can't believe I've already been through 18 weeks of chemo (4 x EC every 3 weeks and 6 weekly Taxols) so almost at the end. Still got rads to follow but hoping to have a holiday too before next phase of treatment.
Good luck to all and enjoy the sun while it's here x

Yes thinking that myself...ie that it's been quiet. Completed my final T yesterday. Enjoying the lack of side effect today...normally kicks in Day 3, sometimes with a vengeance! But pleased that my first stage of treatment is over, next op for me. No idea when or what yet, seeing my surgeon next week. And I'm hoping to fit in a (well-deserved) holiday before my op. Do you require a further op? Good luck to all still completing chemo.

Been quiet - how is everyone doing - especially those still in the chemo loop? X

Congrats at getting through it all! M and S do icelollies in pineapple coconut and lime which just about cut through the tastebuds. Fresh pineapple ginger and lime have been the flavours that have kept me going. M and S stem ginger cookies and Gu keylime pies are what my friends know to bring round when they call!

Having lost my sense of taste after the Docetaxol ( some might say I lost my taste a long time ago...) have just discovered the joys of Madagascan vanilla ice cream. Heaven! Am hoping tomorrow's bank holiday opening hours will not interfere with supplies for next week...
Feeling a little skittish after last dose of chemo but too exhausted to do much more than lie on the sofa dreaming of freedom...
Sending warm hugs to you all, wherever you are in your schedule x

PJW - many thanks for your reassuring words - just didn't appreciate how much easier I found FEC! And yes think the docetaxel se's are going to last nearly the whole three weeks! Will certainly tell my onc on Tuesday how this has hit me.

Hope everyone will have a good bank holiday weekend 

Linda x

Thanks nattyoo and pjw

Here for you too lanky lass - aware you've more chemo treatment to come xx

Thank you Lankylass.
Look after those feet, you'll need them for all your wonderful activities when this as all over.
Keep posting whenever you need to talk. X

Hi ladies

Last doxatel for me tomorrow. then tests, poss more surgery and / or radiotherapy before ten years of hormone treatment. First hurdle almost completed. Linda symptoms sound normal - for me pain kicks in day three as steroids wear off and lasts up to day 10-14. Also suffer from thrush, terrible indigestion, pains in nails and rash / psoriasis (Shopping bag full of Meds after cycle four!). Fatigue for the remainder of the three weeks. However, make sure you talk to your team If you are worried about anything.

Good luck to all in Side effect land. Chemo finishing line in sight.

Yes I'm also suffering with breathlessness I didn't know this was yet another side effect of T and like others I am still not feeling well and my final chemo is on Tuesday. These T symptoms last the whole three weeks my legs feel so weak

Oh heartfelt congratulations on getting through it all! Take care of yourself and have a wonderful holiday. Thanks for your support and encouragement - hope the recovery goes well.

Hello everyone, I had my last chemo treatment today, Docetaxol 75%. Hurrah.
I hadn't recovered from the last one and expect to be exhausted for the next month. Looking back I realise I didn't do anything but stay at home or go to places and sit down. Didn't manage to walk the dogs once. Husband looking very fit!
I bought some cooling gel packs, theraflex, from physio warehouse online and wrapped them around finger and toe nails today during treatment to try to save nails which are looking bumpy and dark red. Splitting a little length ways. Using coconut oil but think the damage is coming from nailbed
It felt strange to say goodbye at hospital and whilst relieved it's over, think it's going to take a while for side effects to manifest and then disappear. We've booked a holiday for one month's time and are very much looking forward to swimming in the sea - my first swim since November!
Best wishes to you all, good luck with all the side effects over the next weeks. Thinking of you all x

I'm a bit worried that split / peeling skin will leave me more susceptible to picking up an infection. Not sure if it will but hoping not. Using hand cream but not really sure what else I can do.

The peeling skin and split skin round nails is a real pain. I covered up my thumbs with plasters and the splits healed- and then split again right next to the old splits. Handcream only helps a bit

Fifth 'T' yesterday...skin on hands and near nails peeling away today 😞
Think aches n pains kicked in about day 3 or 4 last time. And then the rest...incl very watery eyes, runny noses, breathlessness...didn't expect these to last almost the full three weeks. Hope they don't this time!

Had my weekly paclitaxel dose reduced this week by 25% as my feet have gone dead. The 5th yesterday wasn't too bad although I did get the overwhelming urge to get up and run out of the hospital screaming even though I was connected to the drip. So fed up with it all, but gave myself a good talking to - soon be over, cross another one off the calendar.....

Thank  you Natalie for your reply.  You have described how I am feeling exactly and although I am sorry you have had to go through this too it is reassuring to hear it isn't just me.

Linda x

Hello Linda,
I had 3 FEC and am having my third (and last!) Docetaxol tomorrow. I've found it to be harder than FEC in that I don't really get my energy back before the next dose. For me, it kicks in after 2-3 days. I got terrible bone/ muscle pain with the first so it was reduced by 25% for the next two treatments. Main symptoms have been exhaustion for the whole three weeks, sore mouth/thrush/loss of taste for about ten days and then very watery eyes and nose throughout.
Good luck with your treatment. Now I'm coming to the end of mine, it seems to have passed relatively quickly, although it's been the most difficult and all- consuming thing I've ever had to do.
Best wishes to everyone this week. Natalie x

Hello ladies, I have been following this thread as I was a Feb starter.  My first three FEC were very manageable but last week had herceptin injection on Monday and Docetaxel on Tues. By Friday I was feeling very ill with the Docetaxel and would like any reassurances from anybody still looking on here.  I have no clue how to start Facebook.  Eight days down the line I really hope to start picking up after the Docetaxel. Good luck to all you ladies, would like to know how you are getting on.

Linda xx

Yes my nails are sore xx

You won't be on your own lankylass we will all be here to support you xxx

That is a good tip - achieving one thing....

I try and do one thing a day other than get out of bed and have a wash/get dressed but that goes by the wayside half the week LOL!

Washing up is today's challenge! 

Can't believe I used to have a brain, a career, a social life, an active life -walking, cycling, swimming, birdwatching......

My cat is a good listener though.....

As we know nothing prepares you for chemo. I think friends and loved ones struggle with what to say to us. I don't recognise the woman in the mirror, it must be terrifying for them. Over the years, I have lost friends who went through chemo and looking back, I probably didn't say the right things. Emily McDowell recently released cards for people to send chemo patients - have a look - might raise a smile.

Tina (worried sick) - you seem brighter, hope you are turning the corner for this cycle.
Anyone got sore nails? Mine are driving me mad. Preparing myself for the possibility of losing them. Going to try a short walk today, managed to clean the fridge and do the ironing before fatigue kicked me back to the sofa yesterday. Decided to achieve one thing a day on 'good days' and anything else is a bonus. Hugs ladies, we are doing this xx

Hi Lankylass I'll keep you company! I'm having #2 weekly T tomorrow so not expected to finished until late July.
My first week has been ok so far - just low level pains, very dry skin everywhere (even worse than on EC), nails are definitely reacting and my chemo induced photosensitive rash is back after enjoying the sun yesterday. Just hoping to see what tomorrow's dose will bring.

That's the spirit! I'm on the weekly lot and a bit behind everyone else, will I be the only one left here in July when everyone goes whoopee and clears off, skipping into the sunshine?

So pleased I'm not on my own. how can people say you look well when we are going through this. I feel and I know I look awful. I had the nurse come in on Saturday to give me those GCSF injections, I felt so ill and she seen me in bed. She said you have gained weight I will have to put it in your notes that you are obese. i know I have gained weight and I was feeling low as it was without this comment. As if we aren't going through enough. I had a damn good cry to my hubby yesterday. You can read all the comments about T but nothing prepares you for this. Natalie, lankylass and Jan yes roll on summer. That's all that's keeping me going at the moment. One more to go and then we can enjoy our summer. sending big hugs to all xx

Like the idea very much that we're almost there! And thank goodness....'T' has been awful on so many levels...and like others definitely affecting how I look..... (eybebrows, lashes, changes in skin colouring, rashes) ...so will be interesting what comments I get from people over the next few weeks.

Just think worriedsick in two weeks it will all be over, keep going lass just think of the summer!
I've spent all weekend in bed too. And my eyelashes have fallen out and I've put on 6lb in ten days, my tum is sticking out further than my boob, feel quite depressed and nose won't stop scabbing and bleeding despite the naseptin cream the onc gave me last week. And if one more person says I look well I am going to ..... their lights out! Moan groan - roll on summer!