Hello

I’m worried, went to the gp last week as I have pain in my breast, gp felt a lump, he referred me to my local hospital( breast care unit) appointment is next Wednesday…on my 46th birthday? friends have said to me, if you have pain that’s a good sign! Is it? I couldn’t actually feel the lump, I have got so many emotions going on, I had a total hysterectomy 4yrs ago, so I no it’s not hormonal, I’m not taking any HRT, it would be lovely to chat to some people, on how they coped ?

Hello Nickynac1

Welcome to the forums, this must be very difficult time for you.  I’m sure other users will be along to support you soon. 

In the meantime, maybe you would like to talk things through with a member of our helpline staff who are there to offer practical information as well as emotional support. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.

Best wishes

June, moderator

Hi nickynac1 welcome

you have done exactly the right thing going to your doctor,  unfortunately that means you are now playing the waiting game and it’s hard. For many it’s the most difficult time your mind plays tricks on you, with aches and pains and you spend ages poking and prodding yourself trying to find  the lump, beating yourself up for not going sooner and on and on and on.

keep yourself busy to try and distract yourself and please don’t spend ages on Google  you will just freak yourself out.

most lumps are not cancer, you can see that from old posts on here, but they all worry us. it is fear of the unknown that affects us the most and if you need to get it out just post on here, we’ve all been there.

if you get the big wobbles give the helpline a call, they are great and quite used to us phoning in tears. There are no stupid questions, your worries are completely normal.

Take care

Keeks

I’m 47. No previous. No breast cancer in the family. 19 year old son (at Uni who I told on Wednesday… he’s been incredibly supportive… got a lovely inter flora bouquet from him today!) Long term divorced with a fabulous supportive boyfriend (big bouquet from him the day after I went to the docs)… things could be a lot worse!

I’m sure it will be a lot easier to deal with when/if it is a ‘known’… it’s not knowing what’s ahead and feeling like my life is in limbo that I’m finding so hard. It’s impossible to deal with the unknown. I also have my own business that I would need to somehow keep running whatever the outcome but my staff have been fabulous and are really doing their best to ease the pressure… it will be tough on them if I have to go sick long term.

Think positive thoughts! Will be thinking of you on weds… x

Hope you got your answers and they are good. I too had pain but it proved to be a small cancer in the duct and they could not feel a lump. All taken out last week, now waiting for histology results.

take care,

flossie