Help! I need MX and surgeon asked me to consider immediate reconstruction options.

I read the info on this site and decided from that that I would like just a silicone implant, or if that isn’t possible, perhaps the expanding one.  

The LD flap im not keen on as I know people who had problems and I’ve just had a shoulder op on same side, so quite weak already. The tummy options look like massive surgery and I’ve had two Caesareans there 30 + years ago. 

Im 58 and not overly worried about it looking perfect, so long as it looks OK with a bra etc on.  I’m currently about 38D. 

My problem is that I keep seeing things about silicone implants failing and being removed etc. 

Anyone got any advice?  No horror stories please. I’m nervous enough already. TIA?

Hi Carole

It seems worse I think when we are given options as then we get a choice and we’ll forever be wondering if we took the right option.  I have a friend that had the LD flap and she doesn’t have any weakness and can hold a plank in Pilates for far longer than others that haven’t had surgery.  I have another friend that has implants and they are fine however she didn’t have radiotherapy.  I’m not sure what your situation is but it seems it is the radiotherapy that can cause capsulation a few years after.  I’ve had the TUG flap using my thigh and am delighted with the results.  I’m not sure where you live but the charity Keeping Abreast do show and tell evenings.  If you are near East Grinstead they meet every other month and you get to see and talk to about 10 ladies that have all had different types of reconstruction.  Good luck with whatever you decide on.

Hi Carole

It seems worse I think when we are given options as then we get a choice and we’ll forever be wondering if we took the right option.  I have a friend that had the LD flap and she doesn’t have any weakness and can hold a plank in Pilates for far longer than others that haven’t had surgery.  I have another friend that has implants and they are fine however she didn’t have radiotherapy.  I’m not sure what your situation is but it seems it is the radiotherapy that can cause capsulation a few years after.  I’ve had the TUG flap using my thigh and am delighted with the results.  I’m not sure where you live but the charity Keeping Abreast do show and tell evenings.  If you are near East Grinstead they meet every other month and you get to see and talk to about 10 ladies that have all had different types of reconstruction.  Good luck with whatever you decide on. X

im similar too, consultant has said implants would look high and only get b cup plasic surgeon says implants better that the diep tummy one for me…so confused i dont want to look too fake lol and up by my chin !!

I’m seeing surgeon tomorrow so he should tell me what I can have. For me it’s implant or nothing for now, because this is all taking so long and I just want the cancer out. I haven’t got time for going to a distant hospital for DIEP and I don’t want the surgery to hold up any other treatment I may need.

yes i agree my next appointment is on the 20th ages away i just want this done now…ask about teardrop implants someone sent me pics looks great x good luck xx

I saw surgeon yesterday. We have opted for mastectomy with expanding silicone implant. He says it will be flat to start but can start filling with saline when surgery heals. Booked for 12 May, which is another 5 weeks, earliest they could do ?

Hi Carol,

Are you sure your surgeon said “expander implants” and not expanders followed by silicone implants??!! Expanders are usually used  tempoarily prior to implants,and gradually expanded to size, where a larger breast pocket needs to be created, prior to replacing it or them with the silicone one. 

I’m at expander stage, 2014, from bi lat mastectomies (2006 and 07) and very delayed recon, been through all the expansions and about to have them replaced with the below mentioned “anatomical or tear shaped” silicones, end of this month. I’m the same age as you and never wanted anything other than implants, them being the “simplest” op option, with faster healing, fewer scars + less risk of infection (all my own personal preferences). Much better results can be achieved for you, with an immediate recon, but that’s very much dependent on whether you need radiotherapy soon after, as that can affect the whole recon, whether self tissue or implants.

I’m 2 1/2 yrs delayed, in my delayed recon !! just due to other lifes brown stuff, nothing else. But, because I HAVE had a further delay, I now have the added extra benefit, that I asked for but was told wasn’t possible at my initial recon consultation 2014, which is that of “Strattice” or tissue matrix. This is sewn/attached into the pectoral muscle and used to create a sling that adds extra support to, helps smooth the edges of the implant and reduces any rippling effects to the breast when the arms are lifted. It also helps reduce “capsulation” formation.

There is always a risk of capsulation with implants, which, yes, can occur sooner if rads are given, but may take years to form otherwise - if indeed at all. The tissue matrix helps reduce the development of this, as it reduces internal movement of the implant beneath the skin. As does the exterior finish/coating that’s now available on the newer type implants.

Even if you do need rads, you can have extra corrective surgery later, once the effects of rads and skin have settled.

I can’t stress to you enough, the need to get all the facts from your surgeon and BCN’s BEFORE you have the surgery. There are some good BCC booklets available on the implant recon options from this site. But all of what I explained above to you, should have been explained to you anyway. I’m guessing the only unknown factor for you, is whether you may require rads or not, which I’m guessing will be dependent on your biopsy results at the time of surgery.

Carol, will you please keep us in touch with how you’re doing prior to your surgery, and anything else you may be struggling with. Hope this has been of some help to you, despite me coming or going at it from a different starting position to you.

Lotsa love

Delly xxxxx

Hi Carole M.  Sorry for butting in - just thought I would add that I have what you are describing.  The implant does contain a certain amount of silicone, as well as an expander that gets gradually filled with saline to stretch the skin.  It is “temporary” so when I have my final reconstruction (probably next year) it will be replaced.  I could have a “permanent” silicone implant but more likely I will have a breast made out of my own tissue, either from my back or my inner thigh.  I think the strattice will remain to support the final item.  The important thing about the temporary implant/expander is that I will have radiotherapy after I finish chemo and that can cause damage, so better to damage a temporary implant than damage my own tissue.  Hope that helps! 

I am also due dmx with immediate reconstruction but they have said max c cup. I am a DD…they said silicone implants does that mean immediate??? They as tld me that I will not very look like I have boobs and fit a bra just mounds. …I just wanna give upc

Yes lots to consider Carole M.  I’ve found it valuable to ask lots of questions, be comfortable to ask clinicians to repeat things and have a friend with me who I can bounce things off later.  Best of luck with your treatment.

Delly I don’t think anyone has suggested that expanders are a permanent option.

Thanks Delly.  I think we’re on the same page :slight_smile:   I agree that yes, methods do change all the time (thank goodness for progress!) and yes, hospitals do offer different options (although NICE guidance states that all reconstruction options should be discussed with patients even if they aren’t available at the hospital concerned).

Hi again Argy,

Considering the whole of my last post was based on your “Delly, I don’t think “anyone has suggested” that expanders are a permanent option”??, which it WAS suggested. :smileyfrustrated:  And was also based on the info provided by the other “posters” on this thread,- I’m somewhat confused that you think “we’re on the same page” :smileyfrustrated: when we aren’t really. Hence my stressing to al othersl here, to ensure that you make sure you’re information is correct.

Love to you though Argy :smileyfrustrated:, and all others

Delly xxxxxx :heart: 

Delly

sorry for late reply not been on in a while

i am having bilateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction sillicon implants, they sent me to plastic surgeon to meet but he didnt think the tummy one was suitable for me …i feel a bit better with it but still petrified to have it done, of what i will wake up to? also pain wise  etc as to how much i can do ? brush hair wash loo etc, so hard to know :frowning: xx

Thankyou…im hopeful …so many scarey stories of messy implants etc, just want this cancer outx

Yeh Millie - get rid of the bu**er BC. I think many of the stories of “messy” recons may be related to having to have radiotherapy as well - not many due to otherwise?!

Have you a date for your surgery?? Please let us know.

Argy and Carole M - how are you doin?? Argymargy, my last post to you may have come across as somewhat belligerent! It wasn’t. I was merely concerned that you’d got all your info correct ref implants/procedures, that’s all - no offence meant. 

Love to you all xxxxxxx

No probs Delly - I know you were absolutely trying to help and no offence taken.  Also I’m sorry if I sounded dismissive. xx

Hi Delly, I’m still enduring the long 5 week wait for my mx and reconstruction. My surgery is on 12 May and I’ve done everything I can to bring it forward but although they’ve tried the hospital can’t get me in earlier. In this time my boob and underarm have got more uncomfortable and sometimes painful so of course I’m freaking out with it all. Getting very stressed and not slept more than a few hours a night since February.
I just want the cancer out ASAP and to know that it’s not gone into LN during the long wait. At least my hospital has the machine to test the SLN during my op and if necessary clear the rest during surgery. I will also know LN diagnosis straight after surgery.
I am having expanding implant with port on rib and also the matrix sling at the bottom. We can decide later if we want to change it for the silicone implant. Both have a lifetime guarantee so don’t have to change it if we’re happy with it.

hi ladies

my surgery is 11th may double mastectomy with immediate sillicone implants, matrix sling… that will be 9 weeks from diagnosis !!  i am also feeling pain under arm and presuming something will come back on lymph nodes although mri and ultra looked ok…have a ct scan monday evening to check chest wall as hurts when i breathe…i am petrified of what i shall wake up to but need this cancer out !!xx

Hi Millie
My surgery will also be 9 weeks or so from diagnosis. The wait is unbearable and mine feels so much worse now. I haven’t had MRI and I have just had a chest X-ray which I asked my GP for as I have chest/rib pain. Today they said it is normal so that’s good. I also have an ache under my arm and breast pain so hoping it’s not gone to LNs.
I’m getting a lot of back ache too. I’m trying to not worry about all the aches and pains and put it all down to stress, but it is so worrying. I just want the mx done and still have 2 more weeks to go. Good luck with yours.