Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help and Advice please...

3 REPLIES 3
billybob

Re: Help and Advice please...

Hi

I will ask if the other options are available to me. I haven't spoken as yet to anyone about having a mastecomy, I have heard people do it in the past but I wondered if there would be obstacles in my way. I will speak to the hospital. thanks very much for your replies.

Best wishes

Claire x

janew5

Or digital mammogram - they are meant to be more revealing on younger women.
I believe there are some women who have had the surgery even though they are negative for BRCA1 & 2, I believe the history is so strong that their genetics teams believe they have a mutation yet to be found.
Have you spoken to your genetics counsellor about a mastectomy?

Best wishes
Jane

Georgibella

Is there another option? CT Scan or ultra sound?
L

billybob

Help and Advice please...

Hi All,

I have posted on the Younger Women section about breast MRI but I have found out today that I cannot have sedation. To cut a long story short I am extremely claustrophobic and cannot even contemplate going in the tunnel but a Breast MRI. The reason I was having one was, I have a very strong family history on both sides of Breast Cancer, Ovarian and some other rare forms. The BRAC1 and BRAC2 were both negative, thankfully but I think my genetic consultant would like me to have this screening too. I cannot do it, I have had visits, couselling etc and cannot go ahead. I will be speaking to my GP on Monday but I was wondering if you could help me. What do you think about this...I know I don't have the genes but given the family history etc, do you think I would have a good case for asking for a mastecomy? I am worried about secondaries and given the history its nots great. I understand I am my own person and each and everyone of us is different, all the same, has anyone else out there thought about it or actually gone ahead with this even though the BRAC's came back negative? Any help would be great and you probably think I am crazy but hey hoo, I am worried.

Thanks

Claire xx