Thank you for your replies, we've almost made it through the weekend and will be pushing and chasing to see someone before the next bank holiday as I really don't think my mum can wait.
Yes, do get your Mum to see an oncologist wherever you feel she'll get the best treatment. I think the fact that the CT scan didn't show any lung problems is probably a good thing, and she might need another scan (maybe an ultra-sound one, which is less faf than a CT scan) to have a better look at her liver.
I've been living with secondary breast cancer in my liver & bones for over 7½ years (and had my primary diagnosis 14 years ago) -- there are some very good treatments around if your mum's cancer has spread, and many of us live quite "normal" lives after our secondaries diagnosis. Good luck to both of you!
Your mum may be sleepy because of the medication she's on. If she is on painkillers, they are often morphine-based / substitutes. I know with my initial medication (I have liver and bone mets) I was completely zonked out.
With regard to the oncology appointment - insist upon an urgent meeting with the oncologist and don't take no for an answer! You can always request a second opinion or ask for a referral.
I was diagnosed January 2010. I thought the world had stopped but gradually I have returned to normal. I feel 100% better than I did then and have responded well - so far - to treatment. I'm enjoying life to the full and I hope your mum will too.
Lots of love
I'm so sorry to hear y news all I can tell you is the Marsden are v good and I'm hoping someone with more exp will come along to advise you laura
Hi, sorry to be brief, but 'Yes' go to the Marsden, they have been so very very helpful to me. Good luck to you and your Mum.
Im sorry i dont know the answer but im bumping this up in the hope that someone can help.
Sorry, could I also just ask if anyone knows how do I get a referral to the Marsden for my mum and if anyone could recommend someone there who they think would treat her could they pm me their details. Thank you
Hi, I have been coming on here and reading all your posts since my mum's initial diagnosis almost 3 years ago. She was initially treated for idc and had a wle with 3 fec, 3 tax and 25 radio therapy sessions. It was er+ so she has been taking something for that which I guess hasn't worked as she was taken into hospital last week feeling breathless after a long haul flight (they were worried about a blood clot), they did a CT scan of her chest which they told her has shown shadows on her liver but they could only see the top of the liver on the scan. They discharged her yesterday and told her to make an oppointment with oncology on Tuesday.
I feel like I am going to have a breakdown, I can't stop shaking, and crying, I feel sick and I have a headache. Could someone please tell me that she is going to feel better than she does now at least for a little while. She is sleeping a lot of the time and it feels like we are losing her already. I'm sure if she could see an oncologist we might start to feel better but we still have to wait. I am lucky as I have two sisters and we all live quite close to my mum and dad. I just don't know what to do.
We don't live too far from the Marsden, does anyone think it would be worth trying to get her treatment there? I know this still means a wait but the hospitals near us are terrible as they have shut the closest one down so everywhere is so busy.
Thank you for reading, any advice would be very gratefully received.