Help with Herceptin

hope someone can help,

i have nearly finished my herceptin, but the left ventricle ejection rate has gone down just a little to 55% - not the lowest I know, but I feel awful and my blood pressures gone right up. 140/98 Feeling sick and dizzy, blurred vision and breathless. My onc doesn’t appear to want to treat this, but stupidly I didn’t ask flat out.

can anyone say what I can do to feel better? and how long will it take to recover?

and should I go ahead and have the last herceptin. All my online research appears to suggest it should be treated before I carry on with Herceptin, and  things like heart attacks and strokes are more likely if it isn’t treated. 

The oncis keener to check for returned cancers - scans and things, so I have that bit under control. 

Hi there, I’m sorry I don’t have any answers but I didn’t want to leave you feeling that no one was listening. I do think that for your peace of mind, you need more answers and I hope you can find someone to give you them. Is your GP helpful? Xxx

Hello Samantha - Thought perhaps my experience may help, as I think the situation with the heart and Herceptin can be scary.

I had 4 lots of Herceptin together with Taxotere and Perjeta. After my first routine echo my ejection rate had dropped to 50 from 65 ( on baseline echo).Apart from feeling breathless going upstairs which did not concern me until he asked about breathlessness, I felt as well as expected on chemo.

My oncologist stopped Herceptin and referred me to a cardiologist who started me on Beta blockers and ACE inhibitors. I have always had lowish blood pressure and no problems with heart so was a quite concerned and  did lots of research.The cardiologist was useless and did not try to explain anything to me.I spoke to my GP who was very good and also the cardiac nurse who was assigned to me was brilliant at keeping me informed.The cardiologist told me that it was up to the onc to decide if I would restart the Herceptin. My thoughts are if I needed Herceptin then I wanted to finish the course as this is a recurrence of my BC.

Don’t quote me but my onc team said the “magic number” for starting Herceptin is an ejection rate of 50 . I read that if you have a drop of more than 10 points or go below 50 then treatment will be stopped but may be re-started if heart recovers. I understand that the heart recovers quite quickly after treatment end for most people.

Well,  my first echo after suspension of treatment was 52 and most recent, 4 weeks ago, was 62, so my medication has worked . I am due to restart Herceptin (together with Perjeta) next week and hope things stay stable.

Have you been to see your GP to be checked out. I think that might be a good idea as you are feeling poorly and then you will have the information you need to speak to your onc. I presume you will see the onc before your last treatment, in which case write a list of questions you want to ask. Ask if missing the last one will have any effect on your survival rates, what possible damage could it have on your heart if you do have it.

Sorry this is long-winded but hope it might put your mind at rest. Good luck.  Marli xx